Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The problem is they have no leverage since Disney can still use the characters outside of a Hulk movie and we're getting a She-Hulk show with no mention of Universal and Disney having done a deal to making it happen. So if they can have Ruffalo in the movies as hulk, in a She-Hulk show as Hulk (along with She-Hulk's origins), and possibly Thunderbolt Ross turning into Red Hulk if they go that route.... it's just like, yeah Universal has a history and technically a contract for distribution, but Marvel doesn't need Universal in any way.

She-Hulk got approved but don't be so sure Universal isn't involved. Universal sold television rights to the Hulk to New World Television in 1988 with the caveat they would have some level of participation. Who owned New World Television? Answer: Fox. So unless all contracts in past are null and void, Universal is entitled to participation.

The problem is they have no leverage since Disney can still use the characters outside of a Hulk movie and we're getting a She-Hulk show with no mention of Universal and Disney having done a deal to making it happen. So if they can have Ruffalo in the movies as hulk, in a She-Hulk show as Hulk (along with She-Hulk's origins), and possibly Thunderbolt Ross turning into Red Hulk if they go that route.... it's just like, yeah Universal has a history and technically a contract for distribution, but Marvel doesn't need Universal in any way.

I've always wondered how Disney is able to get away with using Hulk as much as they do. Surely Universal gets royalties each time he appears in an MCU film?

She-Hulk got approved but don't be so sure Universal isn't involved. Universal sold television rights to the Hulk to New World Television in 1988 with the caveat they would have some level of participation. Who owned New World Television? Answer: Fox. So unless all contracts in past are null and void, Universal is entitled to participation.
If Universal was involved, it would've been reported in one of the trades, much like when Sony and Disney came to their deals. Whether it be for Spider-Man or just today for streaming content. It's not often the big studios work together, so when they do, it's kind of big news.

Reactions: MrBlonde
Oh, and just to make it clear where Disney is in the pecking order of getting new films to Disney+...

1. Sony Theatrical (At least 45 days exclusive)
2. VOD
3. Netflix (First-Pay Window, 18 months)
4. Disney+/Hulu/Television use (Pay 2 Window)

So for example, Morbius comes out in January 2022. By the time it goes through all of the steps and finally hits Disney+ or Hulu, it will be somewhere around early 2024. However, Disney+ and Hulu get library titles right away I believe, so that's where the real value is, here. It also extends beyond Movies as Disney will have distribution rights to Sony produced Television shows as well for wherever they want to put them.

I think I have that right, but if not, someone feel free to correct me.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Oh, and just to make it clear where Disney is in the pecking order of getting new films to Disney+...

1. Sony Theatrical (At least 45 days exclusive)
2. VOD
3. Netflix (First-Pay Window, 18 months)
4. Disney+/Hulu/Television use (Pay 2 Window)

So for example, Morbius comes out in January 2022. By the time it goes through all of the steps and finally hits Disney+ or Hulu, it will be somewhere around early 2024. However, Disney+ and Hulu get library titles right away I believe, so that's where the real value is, here. It also extends beyond Movies as Disney will have distribution rights to Sony produced Television shows as well for wherever they want to put them.

I think I have that right, but if not, someone feel free to correct me.

Sony Television is separate. Select titles only.