Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

Paulio

Veteran Member
Apr 28, 2016
Northern California
If the 3rd Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Disney will be the last, then it will be the last. Sony still owns the film/distribution rights to Spider-Man so people can expect the partnership will not last forever. On an unrelated note, there's still a rumor going around that either Apple or Netflix will pony up the cash into buying Sony Pictures. I wonder to the extent that is true, considering Sony has no plans to put its streaming service like the other four major studios are doing now.

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
So I’m hearing that Sony gave Disney the 50% they asked for?!? If that’s true that’s brutal and I almost wonder if the Feige-to-Star Wars news was to put Disney in a position of leverage...

OLSinFLA

Veteran Member
May 26, 2012
So I’m hearing that Sony gave Disney the 50% they asked for?!? If that’s true that’s brutal and I almost wonder if the Feige-to-Star Wars news was to put Disney in a position of leverage...
Disney is getting 25% and putting up 25%, Sony now gets Disney+ on their PlayStation network (and a cut when it airs there). What Disney did not get was control of the additional SpiderVerse universe characters,

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick

Paulio

Veteran Member
Apr 28, 2016
Northern California
Sony is alive and healthy, can’t see why they would sell unless they want out of the business like Murdoch.

Paramount is in much greater danger of being sold imo.
Paramount's parent company Viacom is merging with CBS that might be done by the end of this year so that doesn't really count. I really wonder if Sony Corporation still wants to stay in the Hollywood industry a bit longer, as times began on rapidly changing due to streaming services and the like.

quinnmac000

Veteran Member
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Sony is alive and healthy, can’t see why they would sell unless they want out of the business like Murdoch.

Paramount is in much greater danger of being sold imo.
While Sony Pictures Entertainment is doing well....Sony Corp is doing okay with massive negative effects due to political relations between China, Korea, and Japan. Which is why activist investors may try to get Sony's leadership to sell despite being somewhat healthy.

Paulio

Veteran Member
Apr 28, 2016
Northern California
While Sony Pictures Entertainment is doing well....Sony Corp is doing okay with massive negative effects due to political relations between China, Korea, and Japan. Which is why activist investors may try to get Sony's leadership to sell despite being somewhat healthy.
Who are these "activist investors"?

darkshadow237

Rookie
Feb 24, 2017
Well Sony & Marvel/Disney could balance both the MCU & Sony’s Spiderverse as a way for Tom Holland to portray Spider-Man. Hoping the future MCU film after the third Spider-Man film is Secret Wars.