Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (2023) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
TWoW feels a little unfair as an example. It's the only movie my friends were on-board to see in 3D without protest. The first movie was the movie that revitalized 3D. Seeing another entry in the series in 3D 10 years later says very little about the overall trend.

I just saw the TLM today in 3D. Solid experience. From what I had seen looking for screenings, it was not all that popular to see it in 3D (few showings and a lot of empty seats). The last LiMax 3D screening for it was at noon today at my local theater, so I went. Kids probably still love 3D. Adults definitely seem not to care or have negative opinions generally. 3D rarely survives past two weeks for even the biggest movies at my local theater, and it has 24 theaters...
Most movies do not need 3D. The thing about Avatar is it's made specifically FOR 3D. Avatar as a franchise is synonymous with 3D. There are the occasions when movies not specifically made for 3D can still be really cool. Multiverse of Madness was one of those experiences, Into The Spiderverse as said was really good in 3D (most animated movies are good in 3D tbh), Top Gun: Maverick, etc. I see way more 3D movies then 99% of the population though due to A-List.

I actually enjoy 3D showings and not having to pay any extra for it makes it more like a "why not?" type of thing, especially since the theaters are usually less full, so I don't have to worry as much about some random kid crying and me missing important dialogue.

Saw the movie and it’s fantastic, very few critiques. Some of the best animation and design I’ve ever seen.
Agreed.

I came out of my showing saying one thing with confidence: "Best Animated Film Ever". Beauty and the Beast, Up, and Toy Story 3 are the only animated films ever to be nominated for Best Picture and I think this surpasses those.

With absolutely no exaggeration, no matter how the year plays out (unless this year gives us some of the best cinema we've ever seen), I think this film should 100% be in the conversation for a Best Picture nomination.

I don’t have epilepsy but whoa did some of the sequences came close to giving me a headache.

I find it funny how it renamed MCU as “Earth-199999” when FFH and Multiverse of Madness designated it as “Earth 616”. Doubly so since we see the REAL Earth 616 complete with comic panel.

Last edited:
I find it funny how it renamed MCU as “Earth-199999” when FFH and Multiverse of Madness designated it as “Earth 616”. Doubly so since we see the REAL Earth 616 complete with comic panel.
Lord & Miller have stated the E-199999 joke was just that, something they were tossing around and it was a reference to the MCU without saying it. Doesn't matter what FFH and MoM have designated, it was a joke.

Also, could we please not use terminology like "i'm not an epileptic"? As someone who IS, it's not how one would ever refer to themselves.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Lord & Miller have stated the E-199999 joke was just that, something they were tossing around and it was a reference to the MCU without saying it. Doesn't matter what FFH and MoM have designated, it was a joke.

Also, could we please not use terminology like "i'm not an epileptic"? As someone who IS, it's not how one would ever refer to themselves.
Edited it just now.

Still is weird though. So there’s this 616, another 616, and Peter B. Parker also comes a “616” verse… It’s mind boggling.

Edited it just now.

Still is weird though. So there’s this 616, another 616, and Peter B. Parker also comes a “616” verse… It’s mind boggling.
Spiderverse is it's own thing that is including Sony owned Spider-Man "things".

For Spiderverse, Miles is our lead and his mainline is 1610. Peter B. Parker comes from E-616, with Peter B. Parker seemingly trying to show us what may have happened if they had ever made a movie with Tobey's Spider-Man as an adult.

I think Sony considers E-616 to be their mainline for the Sonyverse, which is only very loosely connected to the MCU.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Just got back from seeing this, and what an absolute stunner this is.

The second film in a trilogy is always in a tricky spot, as it has to set things up for the third film and one has to figure out how to end it, etc. And I feel they did a solid job of making an entertaining film where you *really* want to see the 3rd film right. now. I totally dug the new cast, the various emotional stakes and themes they're playing with, and just like the first film, the soundtrack is killer.

And then there's the animation. The first film blew me away with what it pulled off, no other film has truly captured the feeling of a comic book coming to life, and this film showed that the previous was merely a sampler of what they can do. Someone else said it best, there are films out there that you can only do with animation...and this one is proof positive of that! There are so many stunning shots in this, and they're just having a field day on pushing what's possible.

Personally for me, I see this being the best animated film this year. While there are some upcoming films I think will be a lot of fun like Nimona and TMNT: Mutant Mayhem), I don't see them reaching the very high bar this one has set. As much as I want to say How Do You Live?, Studio Ghibli is giving us nothing but the poster before its release, and it's only being released in Japan at the moment.

All in all, a very enjoyable film and next year can't come soon enough!

Glad to see Pete Docter praise this movie and I hope he took notes. He’s been the Chief Creative Officer at Pixar ever since Lasseter was let go in June 2018.

In that time, the only great Pixar movies have been Toy Story 4 and Soul. Everything else has been very same-y in story and it’s been a time of great mediocrity from Pixar.

Glad to see Pete Docter praise this movie and I hope he took notes. He’s been the Chief Creative Officer at Pixar ever since Lasseter was let go in June 2018.

In that time, the only great Pixar movies have been Toy Story 4 and Soul. Everything else has been very same-y in story and it’s been a time of great mediocrity from Pixar.

With this weekend's box office numbers, there unfortunately is a very clear problem. I fear that people really are buying into the culture war BS.

Last edited:
Agreed, Pixar's slump can be attributed to some pretty clear things. The biggest one being releasing a batch of films solely on D+, when they did that but still released Disney films in theaters, that conditioned audiences that D+ is where you go for Pixar, not theaters. Once again, Turning Red absolutely should've gone in theaters, it would've done just fine and any silly little complaints from a vocal few would've evaporated at a decent box office. But they didn't, instead they pushed out Lightyear which just didn't interest people. The big return to theaters was a film that most folks didn't care to see. There's no outlandish conspiracy theory or anything like that, it just didn't grab people and that happens. And if people aren't interested, they most likely won't see the film, simple as that. That's what's happening to Elemental.

Meanwhile, Across the Spider-Verse is clearly doing just fine. In fact, out of all the films that have come out recently, it has the most legs with how it's holding on.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
If i had a nickel every time I heard "I'll wait it'll be on D+ in a few weeks". Disney dug the grave for Pixar and pushed them in.
Marvel has even been effected by this to a certain extent. Sure quality isn’t what it used to be and MCU films still generally do fine, but something like Quantumania is an example of a lot of people saying “I can wait”.

Finally saw it today and it was great!

My favorite cameo was:
The Spectacular Spider Man

One thing that I hope is addressed in the next movie is:
how Miles’ need to save his father at the expense of his universe is the EXACT SAME reason Kingpin did what he did in the first movie

Still a stellar, visual treat!

Reactions: Jerroddragon
finally saw it — absolutely fabulous movie. I love the first and this is, like others have mentioned, probably better. glad I got to see it on the big screen.

So...this happened. Also sounds like we're looking at a potentially lengthy delay for the next one.

Honestly, we hear this story too often that I'm amazed that the VFX industry has not unionized/striked yet.

So...this happened. Also sounds like we're looking at a potentially lengthy delay for the next one.

Honestly, we hear this story too often that I'm amazed that the VFX industry has not unionized/striked yet.
VFX artists desperately need a union.