Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (2023) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean the strike was for sure already going to push this back...but yeah no wonder this film cost so much less to make then Pixar Films....because they are basically abusing artists

• Sad
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I mean the strike was for sure already going to push this back...but yeah no wonder this film cost so much less to make then Pixar Films....because they are basically abusing artists
I can't speak for how things are for similar vfx artists at pixar but this does speak to why I hesitate to equate "low budget" with "good, sensible spending."

I can't speak for how things are for similar vfx artists at pixar but this does speak to why I hesitate to equate "low budget" with "good, sensible spending."
I agree to a point but at least online when I bring up dreamworks and Spiderman...many point to the work being outsourced in someway vs Pixar which is mainly all done in house.

It sucks the cost of animation is making lots of people work extra hours for almost nothing.

Bump. I completely understand why they wanted to give Hayao the Oscar for what actually might be his last film for real this time, and Boy and Heron probably was an excellent movie as is custom for Ghibli.

But I swear to god, I am SICK of hearing the opinion that AtSV is half a movie.

Last edited:
I'd have gone with Spiderman....even if it's half a film I don't care it was one of the best films of last year and will go down as a really great sequel
I walked out of the theater calling it my favorite animated film of all-time and one of my favorite comic book films.

Sure it can be argued that it’s half of a movie, but I honestly don’t care even if that’s what we’re calling it. Dune part two is technically half of a film yet it’s a grand achievement in film.

Bump. I completely understand why they wanted to give Hayao the Oscar for what actually might be his last film for real this time, and Boy and Heron probably was an excellent movie as is custom for Ghibli.

But I swear to god, I am SICK of hearing the opinion that AtSV is half a movie.

The notion that it is half a movie is a valid one (and this is coming from someone who felt it was his favorite movie of the year). There were a lot of open threads by the end of the film, not to mention that it initially had “Part 1” in its subtitle.

Mission: Impossible-Dead Reckoning also used Part 1 and even though that was retroactively dropped after release, that movie at least felt like it had more of an ending.

Reactions: mccgavin
Yea. I hadn't really paid attention too much before this movie came out & I was working Regal Cinemas lol..

When I finally got around to seeing it (after work), it gets to the end & I'm just like "WTH!?" I didn't realize it was a "part 1 & part 2" type sequel beforehand. So it caught me off guard.

Was it a good movie? Sure. But maybe because I'm not a mega fanboy, it bothered me that I sat through it only to be left with a cliffhanger. *sigh* I just didn't love it.

Reactions: mccgavin
The notion that it is half a movie is a valid one (and this is coming from someone who felt it was his favorite movie of the year). There were a lot of open threads by the end of the film, not to mention that it initially had “Part 1” in its subtitle.

Mission: Impossible-Dead Reckoning also used Part 1 and even though that was retroactively dropped after release, that movie at least felt like it had more of an ending.
Maybe, but by that logic Empire Strikes Back is half a movie.

I think when people refer to it feeling like "half a movie," they're refering to the pacing and character arcs and where they are at its conclusion. A cliffhanger isn't what makes something feel incomplete- if that were true, we wouldn't love Empire Strikes Back and Return of the King so much, and Dune Part Two would not be receiving the praise it's getting today. Even the previously mentioned M:I Dead Reckoning Part One ends on a MAJOR cliffhanger but still feels fleshed out and like a satisfying full movie. For me, the final 20 minutes of ATSV definitely cause it to drag, as well as the hard split between the half with the Spot and the half with the Spider-Society. By the end, the energy dies down for me and makes for a less-satisfying ending than many "part one" movies achieve (see the mentioned movies). I still love it, but the "half a movie" thing is a valid perspective.