Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
and....the animated Grinch is still going strong, leaving Ralph in it's dust.
Ralph has done fine and should finish somewhere around $175M domestic. This was an unusually competitive year for Disney with their Thanksgiving release and of course a Christmas movie is going to have more staying power. Grinch will likely be performing better than Spider-verse before long.

Yeah, I think there is a realistic chance though that Spider-Man may have awards legs though, if it gets nominated for Academy Awards. And especially after Grinch, there shouldn't be that much to worry of until Lego Movie 2.

Ralph has done fine and should finish somewhere around $175M domestic. This was an unusually competitive year for Disney with their Thanksgiving release and of course a Christmas movie is going to have more staying power. Grinch will likely be performing better than Spider-verse before long.
60% of WiR2 has come from oversees where its shot past $400 mil

60% of WiR2 has come from oversees where its shot past $400 mil
Ok? I said Ralph was doing fine domestically, I didn’t say it was doing great or breaking records or anything. It’s doing good enough given the competition is my point. There’s been an abnormal amount of family content this November/December.

Holy crap, this film.

This film is such an celebration of comic books and animation; with the most innovative and exciting uses of animation in a long while.

I also love just how much of a comic book it is, as if it's coming to life.

The performances, writing, everything; does this film so much in so many ways. I want to see this as many times as I can, as it's worth every second.

Definitely in my top 5 of the year, and is the my absolute favorite animated film of the decade. It's also my favorite comic book film for all that's considered for 2018.

This is my favorite superhero film this year. All the initial trailers made me feel like i was gonna hate it. I think it's my second fav. Spider-Man now.

Just got back from seeing this a second time, it's definitely solidified as my favorite animated film of 2018. It really is a amazing Spider-Man film, and it's a downright triumph for a animated film with what they pushed and pulled off with the various mediums.

Now award show-wise, I do fully acknowledge that these shows are all about who can schmooze and sway the voters the best. It's a ugly truth, but that's the way it is. On top of that, the voters can be total snobs, especially when it comes to anything animated. (The Academy Awards are notorious up tights, where you can give them a DVD with all of the animated short films, and they don't even watch or vote for them.)

The Golden Globes and Academy Awards are guilty of this, and one would think the Annie Awards would do this right...but they're actually -worse- as the major animated studios are the main SPONSERS for the show itself. There's quite a story where one year the first Kung Fu Panda dominated the Annie's, Disney threw a fit and "reminded" the organizers they're a major sponsor...people got fired and all of a sudden Disney is dominating the awards.

With all that said, I'm happy things went into the Spider-Verse's direction since it's actually the best animated film of 2018. (Second would be Isle of Dogs) Hopefully it follows suit with the other awards, but you never know with that bunch.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I was rooting for Isle of Dogs as a reminder to Hollywood that it’s still ok to greenlight original movies. But I’m still happy Spider-Verse won if it had to be.

I was rooting for Isle of Dogs as a reminder to Hollywood that it’s still ok to greenlight original movies. But I’m still happy Spider-Verse won if it had to be.
Yeah, if you take the 15 nominees for Best Musical/Comedy, Best Drama, and Best Animated film, there's only a few films that aren't a biopic, remake, sequel, or based on some form of literature. Isle of Dogs, Mirai, The Favourite, and Green Book (although it is deeply based on actual events so i'm not even sure how much this would count) are the only films that don't fall into one of those categories.

Now just because a movie isn't "original" doesn't mean that it's no good obviously. It would be nice to see some more films that take risks and are original ideas though instead of a flurry of adaptations and biopics.

So over at the Annie Awards, Into the Spider-Verse was the big winner as it won all seven categories it was nominated for.

Best Animated Feature
Directing
Writing
Character Animation
Character Design
Production Design
Editorial

Considering this film took the biggest risks with it's animation (amongst other things), it's really great seeing it get the recognition it deserves. Hopefully this inspires other studios to take risks and really play with the medium since there's so much you can do with it.

Mentioned this on the FFH thread, but I'll bring it up here.

Sony Animation and Phil Lord/Chris Miller has seemingly a lot of ideas for the Spider-Verse in animation. And that to me, my guess is that we are likely seeing a proper rollout of the Sony Animation/Pascal Pictures/Marvel efforts to expand the Animated Spider-Verse.

And they're already trying, with expanding on what happened with Porker before he got sucked out of his dimension.