Spiderman Technical Problems - Anyone had 'em before? | Inside Universal Forums

Spiderman Technical Problems - Anyone had 'em before?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 27, 2010
Spiderman had some serious issues last Friday.

Everything seemed fine and dandy (truck w/ driver working, rat shadow, etc.)... until we reached the first projected scene, right after the statue of liberty prop. Our Scoop stopped, as did the video; however, the music continued. Everything went blank, dark, night-like - way too quiet. We heard the standard intercom safety message, and, after about five minutes, began moving again... albeit off-sync.

So, off-sync we went, continuing all the way to the fire effect scene... and stopped again, only for a minute this time. We later transitioned to a COMPLETELY blank screen before syncing again at the 'flying' portion (where we're lifted above the city by Dock Ock's evil contraption). Following that, our Scoop stopped in one position, failing to interact with the portions video COMPLETELY. Air worked on the 'falling' scene, but that's about it. Concluding that disappointing finale, we moved into another blank video screen (this one was curved, kinda like a half-iMAX screen), and finished, off-center, with Spidey's camera-taking prowess (we stopped at an angle to the screen, instead of in front of it - everything looked distorted, elongated, and twisted).

As we were pulling into the station, I noticed a maintenance engineer with a flashlight, looking confused as hell.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Last edited:
I have been on Spiderman with the blank screens before, and have also had the ride run with some of the sound effects but with non of the music or dialog. Luckily, Universal would have let anyone that wanted to ride again immediately, which was good since some of the other riders I was with were first time riders.

Did you tell a team member? Usually if there are problems going on with the ride they'll let you ride again if you tell them.
We had Express Plus passes, so no problem there. However, after such an nasty display, a majority of my group was so disgusted with the attraction that I thought it best we just move on. Never did get to ride it 'the right way' that trip... oh, well.

We had Express Plus passes, so no problem there. However, after such an nasty display, a majority of my group was so disgusted with the attraction that I thought it best we just move on. Never did get to ride it 'the right way' that trip... oh, well.

Well you're group missed out on the best ride at IOA arguably the best ride in Orlando well until Potter.

One time when I was on spiderman on the part when Doctor.Oct says happy landing the ride malfunctioned and the car turned away from the screen and started to shake around like crazy and all the audio was off.

I have no idea why the ride goes funky like that at times. I have had bad audio. And only one time did the middle screens go blank. Fascinating that such a complicated ride runs smoothly 95% of the time huh? If I were a betting man back in 1999.. I would have said, "This will only work 20% of the time... if that" But back then, I saw it perfectly for the first time. I was in love. Withe the ride that is...

Last edited:
Usually it's a vehicle that detects a fault and stops (audio continues), causing the control system to "Ride Stop." In this case, the show effects stay on. During a ride stop, it is possible for the vehicle intervals to misalign (they stop at the end of the block zone they are in). So when a vehicle triggers a scene, and the one behind it is now too close, the scene doesn't have time to reset and you see a blank screen or miss out on certain effects. Once the ride restarts and all the vehicles are cycled, everything syncs up again.

The other thing I heard (from various TM's) was that depending on the severity of the fault, the vehicle will literally turn itself off, and cause the control system to auto E-Stop, which faults out all show effects and kills power to the track.

I can guarantee though, if your vehicle stops for more than one second, the TM in controls knows about it, and usually they will let unload know as well.

PS- Can anyone tell me what it means when they say "Attention Bugle dockworkers, prepare for deliveries" in the load area?

I've ridden it with no audio, no working effects, blank screens, broken projector (Essentially, no 3-D but there is an image on the screen) and of course, broken down.

It happens.

Worst I've experienced was all show effects/projections working but absolutely no audio. It's amazing how loud the ride system is when there's no deafening sound effects or soundtrack to hide it... it was actually a pretty cool experience, but I felt bad for the first timers who yelled out "lame!" as we proceeded. Luckily, we got a free re-ride after a 5 minute delay of fixing whatever was wrong.

The screen was probably distorted because of the squinching(sp?) and the fact that the vehicle was off so the image wasn't distorting at the right place it should have. I have never been on it for a breakdown but I've seen the screen come back on after we turned to face it and have seen the screens turn off before we faced a different direction, but nothing that bad.

I've actually never been on Spidey when things have malfunctioned. Every time I've ever been on it, all of the effects have worked, even the fire, which seems to mysteriously disappear sometimes according to posts I've seen on forums all over the place in the past.

Usually it's a vehicle that detects a fault and stops (audio continues), causing the control system to "Ride Stop." In this case, the show effects stay on. During a ride stop, it is possible for the vehicle intervals to misalign (they stop at the end of the block zone they are in). So when a vehicle triggers a scene, and the one behind it is now too close, the scene doesn't have time to reset and you see a blank screen or miss out on certain effects. Once the ride restarts and all the vehicles are cycled, everything syncs up again.

The other thing I heard (from various TM's) was that depending on the severity of the fault, the vehicle will literally turn itself off, and cause the control system to auto E-Stop, which faults out all show effects and kills power to the track.

I can guarantee though, if your vehicle stops for more than one second, the TM in controls knows about it, and usually they will let unload know as well.

Interesting, I always thought that if the screens were off on the ride, and they offered me to ride again I always thought "are you crazy? the screens are broken!". This out of sync sensor explanation explains why it would probably be fine a second time around. Thanks.

PS- Can anyone tell me what it means when they say "Attention Bugle dockworkers, prepare for deliveries" in the load area?

By dock they mean, the loading dock that trucks would back up to at the newspaper called "The Daily Bugle". So instead of paper and ink being delivered, WE the passengers are being delivered.

The only problem I've ever encountered on Spiderman is the ride going off-sync after Doc Oc says 'Happy Landing.' It is due to the unload area being backup up. It's weird to do those movements in complete darkness. Scared the heck out of me the first time it happened.:bonk:

Last edited:
Correct Teebin. It's to let the loaders know that recycles (riders who were caught in a screw up) will be coming in through the child swap for rerides.

One time when I was on spiderman on the part when Doctor.Oct says happy landing the ride malfunctioned and the car turned away from the screen and started to shake around like crazy and all the audio was off.

same thing happened on 5 consecutive rides from Jan - Apr 2010 (went to IOA to check WWHP progress), last monday was the first time the ride had no issues. With a Premier Pass a reride would be worthless.

I went on spiderman today and the same spot where Doctor. Oct says happy landing the ride turned backwards and started to shake around and the guy asked if I wanted a re ride and I seaid yes and the same thing happend.