Springfield Expansion | Page 317 | Inside Universal Forums

Springfield Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes damn it! Between artwork issues not being signed off by Groening as well as some tech issues this is the lame ass replacement. I actually like it but considering what could of been I'm not happy!

Bummer man. Groening is a real hard ass. Although, I guess if it was JK, I would be happy she protected her baby.

Saw the Springfield expansion for the first time today, and I must say it really is a beautifully themed little area. Tried the Buzz Cola (generic cherry soda, nothing special and I found it lacking), the Flaming Moe (such a cool drink, love the smoke and bubbles....feels like you are drinking a mad scientists creation. It's not the best tasting thing on Earth, but it will have to do. I'd describe the taste as a fizzy citrus drink, like Hi-C soda). I also had the pleasure of trying a Brain Freezin' D'Oh-Nut Sundae with Vanilla Ice cream and Hot Fudge topping . It doesn't sound like something that would taste that great, but the second I put the first bite in my face hole I was transported to a whole nother dimension of taste sensation. Seriously, this thing tasted amazing, it really surprised me. I'd say it's more of a once-in-a-lifetime thing because it is incredibly unhealthy, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have Diabetes now. I got to visit Moe's (didn't eat in there though), and found it quite impressive... pretty accurate to the TV show. I rode Kang and Kodos Twirl N Hurl, and wasn't all that impressed. it's a good ride for kids, but I wouldn't wait in a 10 minute line for it again. One of my friends I was with went on a Game Binge while he was in the area, and so I got to see how some of the games work in the area. I thought they seem pretty entertaining if not overpriced (naturally). While I still need to try Duff Beer, I'm going to go ahead and say that I was really impressed with the product they produced, they did great things with the relatively small space they were given to work with. I also really dug the various statues around town, LOVE LOVE LOVE that they have a freakin Taco Bus (MUST try it next time I'm there, kicking myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity), and I like that there is a Duff's Brewery in the center. If you haven't at least walked thru the area yet, you are definitely missing out.

Great review! :)

I think the taco truck is delicious, definitely try it next time. I had tacos throughout last HHN when there was a truck over there, and it's become my go-to food this year before B&T.

We're lucky we have Duff beer. Groening is extremely protective and has a certain set of values. He gave up a lot for this land.

I am not sure who knows this but Matt was actually quoted saying he would never let the Duff name be licensed for a real beer product, I am glad Uni was able to change his mind. I understand his reasoning about not wanting it to entice kids, but adults love the brand and Uni does give a controlled environment to distribute the beer.

Does anyone know how they make The Flaming Moe smoke and bubble? One of my friend thought that they use dry ice, and I suggested that maybe the glass is frosted with dry ice. I kno that they put a clear bubbly liquid in first and it almost immediately started smoking and bubbling after that, does it have something to do with that mysterious liquid?

Does anyone know how they make The Flaming Moe smoke and bubble? One of my friend thought that they use dry ice, and I suggested that maybe the glass is frosted with dry ice. I kno that they put a clear bubbly liquid in first and it almost immediately started smoking and bubbling after that, does it have something to do with that mysterious liquid?

The cup it's served in has a "chamber" so to speak on the bottom, in which they throw in a lump of dry ice (that's why the cups are stored in a freezer). There are little holes on the top of this chamber (the bottom of the part of the cup where liquid is placed) allowing the liquid to seep in and touch the dry ice. When the stuff the bartender puts in first touches the dry ice, it starts smoking, and then the actual syrup is added. Hopefully that makes sense lolol.

Reactions: Cwoolboy

There are pieces of dry ice at the bottom of the cup. They then just pour the drink on top resulting in the smoking and bubbling.

Edit: Tyler beat me to it!

I got to see Springfield last Thursday, Saturday and Sunday nights during HHN as well as Sat/Sun during the day. I personally think the whole Springfield/FFB area is a wonderful addition and feel it's exactly what USF needed by giving a dead zone new life.. I didn't have my hopes through the roof, but I couldn't wait to check it out. It was packed with people who were buying food and merchandise left and right...including me! My take on the food was that it was all very tasty (except for the Chicken and Waffle sandwich, I didn't care for that). The Clogger and Krustyburgers weren't the most amazing burgers I've ever had in my life, but for theme park food, they were damn tasty. The Flaming Moe was delicious but is overpriced for what you get, Buzz Cola was okay (not a diet soda fan, but this was less Diet Soda-tasting than most diet sodas I've had) and the Lard Lad donuts were DE-LISH (especially the insanely fattening D'oh Nut Sundae they serve). Kang/Kodos had me rolling with its witty and clever script and one-liners and was a very enjoyable spinner...perfect for families. The theming was excellent and I spent quite a bit of time in that area. As for those who were complaining about how much it lit up the park during HHN, I shared the same concerns initially. However, after seeing it in person, I think it looked great, didn't light things up that much, and provided a nice sense of "escapism" from the horrors of HHN. While I didn't play the games, I felt that their location fit the area perfectly and were quite witty in their design/implementation.

I'd call Springfield a major success and congratulate Universal Creative for the great job that they did!

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Seeing it for the first time last weekend it was better than what was there before but very similar dining options. Way to static, at least that's the way it felt to me,
Had some food, the Meat Likers Pizza was good, the Ribwich was merely OK, and the little doughnuts were also good..
The Flaming Moes was a total rip off, one and done.
Twirl was fun, but nothing I would ride again unless I was dying for a breeze.

Seeing it for the first time last weekend it was better than what was there before but very similar dining options. Way to static, at least that's the way it felt to me,
Had some food, the Meat Likers Pizza was good, the Ribwich was merely OK, and the little doughnuts were also good..

prepare to get flamed :lol:

I'm a big boy I can handle it, besides I am known as a hater. :p
That was my honest opinion, looks nice just not much substance... It does have lots of photo ops which I am a fan of.

It was good to finally meet you last weekend OF, although it was brief :lol:

I tried the Korean beef tacos last weekend and I wasnt a fan of the flavor, a little too sweet for me. I should have tried the carne asada ones instead. Thats about all I tried besides the hot dog and takes a lot to screw up a dog :pound:

Great review! :)

I think the taco truck is delicious, definitely try it next time. I had tacos throughout last HHN when there was a truck over there, and it's become my go-to food this year before B&T.

I agree. I'm not really a great fan of tacos, but theirs were very good...The Flaming Moes tasted a lot like the old time phosphate sodas that they used to serve at the drug store soda sections when they had them. It was a nice effect, but a little too expensive to try more than once. Duff's Beer was decent and my girlfriend loved the chicken waffle sandwich. The area on the whole had a terrific ambiance and seemed full of kinetic energy. We also really liked the Kang & Kodas dialogue that permeated the airwaves. And it seemed like the area was packed with people constantly. I think that Universal has a real hit on their hands with Springfield. It improves the park greatly and probably didn't cost a ton of money. Also, loved sitting at the bar next to the phone. Twice, it rang and I picked it up. The one message was give me your lunch money or I'll beat you up, or something along those lines. A few times I picked it up without a ringing and there wasn't any message, but a sound that was exactly like the sound of the dry ice melting at the bottom of the Flaming Moe glass.

All in all, it is the most elaborate rethemeing of a food court/restroom in theme park history. Not even Disney would add a spinner to a food court rethemeing.

It's nice to have a grounded review once in awhile. The problem for me is, I rarely eat in the parks other than to snack (makes me hate the Duff Gardens menu even more!) and I will never buy a Flaming Moe's and Duff was okay but not special enough to keep me coming back for what's all in all a pretty generic beer. It's fantastic to look at, but in the long run its not really changing the way I tour the park other than adding some nicer scenery. Doesn't make it a failure on any level, it just is what it is.

I finally got to try a Krusty Burger and yeah.. It's still a theme park burger. :lol: Just made to taste a little better because of the cheese sauce and the secret sauce.

What I absolutely loved was Kang & Kodos. I only had to wait one ride cycle but hearing the lines from that ride and mine... I was cracking up. So, so funny. And it looks awesome at night. Watching Springfield from the other side of the lagoon was just awe-inspiring. It gives it a totally different energy.