Star Trek coming to Universal? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Trek coming to Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Star Wars merch isnt limited to Jedi robes lol. Yoda backpacks, shirts with different characters on them, shirts with quotes or witty SW-related pictures, custom lightsabers, collectible cups, figurines...the list goes on and on. And I see WAY more of that stuff than Star Trek stuff.

Yea but I can get half that stuff at the local Hot Topic or Spencer's. There is less of a uniqueness factor with Star Wars than Star Trek. Everyone has a light saber, I can go to Toy'R'us right now and pick up an 100 dollar light saber. Don't get me wrong, there still is a limit for Star Trek but how many places can you go buy yourself a star Trek Type 1 Phaser? Spock Ears could be the next Mickey Ears if marketed right.

What if they transform the whole block of Beetlejuice to Disaster into San Fran 2260? Star Fleet HQ walk through and Enterprise next gen simulator E-ticket would be a nice start...

Yea but I can get half that stuff at the local Hot Topic or Spencer's. There is less of a uniqueness factor with Star Wars than Star Trek. Everyone has a light saber, I can go to Toy'R'us right now and pick up an 100 dollar light saber. Don't get me wrong, there still is a limit for Star Trek but how many places can you go buy yourself a star Trek Type 1 Phaser? Spock Ears could be the next Mickey Ears if marketed right.

You just contradicted your own point lol

I've been hoping for a Trek land from Uni. I always dreamt of going to the Hilton in Vegas to Check out the Star Trek Experience, but of course it was torn out before I had the chance to visit. (Wasn't old enough back then!)

I was not a fan of Harry Potter, but seeing what Universal did with those lands completely changed my opinion. They could do the same with Star Trek, and that would one-up Disney yet again, setting the bar super high that if they even did a Star Wars land, it'd have to be just as good or better than what Universal does. Star Trek has been around for almost 50 years...5 tv shows, 12 movies, 1 cartoon show...so many merchandising (and food and beverages) opportunities...it would be crazy for them not to jump at something like this.

So, if this is the case, which incarnation of Star Trek will it be? While all of the Star Trek parts are tied together, I would guess if they are licensing it they will be limited to a certain version of the franchise. I would have to guess it would be modeled on the current version. When I saw the first movie I thought the image of the Enterprise on the ground under construction looked like a good attraction entrance...

star_trek_2009-enterprise_construction1.png

missed opportunity if not a whole land IMO

They did such an amazing job with DA, lets just humor the idea of what they can do with star trek

star-trek-enviroments.jpg

When I saw the first movie I thought the image of the Enterprise on the ground under construction looked like a good attraction entrance...

star_trek_2009-enterprise_construction1.png

My issue with Star Trek is that with an effective height limit of 199.5', you could never do justice to an environment like this in a physical sense. The scale of everything is just too big; thinking of images like these we'd only be gearing up for a disappointment. The only way of creating anything like these images would be on a screen... And let's not get into that again. Aside from the regular screen vs reality argument, creating Star Trek on a screen would be too similar to a certain tour-the-sights-of-the-galaxy-on-a-spacecraft attraction down the road.

The thing that excites me about expansions based on cool IPs is the creation of the environment rather than whatever ride experience may also be included. With the best forced-perspective intentions in the world, I just don't see it.

My issue with Star Trek is that with an effective height limit of 199.5', you could never do justice to an environment like this in a physical sense. The scale of everything is just too big; thinking of images like these we'd only be gearing up for a disappointment. The only way of creating anything like these images would be on a screen... And let's not get into that again. Aside from the regular screen vs reality argument, creating Star Trek on a screen would be too similar to a certain tour-the-sights-of-the-galaxy-on-a-spacecraft attraction down the road.

The thing that excites me about expansions based on cool IPs is the creation of the environment rather than whatever ride experience may also be included. With the best forced-perspective intentions in the world, I just don't see it.

Height Limit? Just a few blocks away, they're about to build the tallest rollercoaster in the world at over 500 feet tall.

Star Trek actually came before Star Wars. Star Trek also has better merchandising in my opinion than star wars...I see a lot more people buying Star Fleet uniform shirts than Star Wars jedi robes.

Is this a real life opinion? Because it's extremely misgudied. Star Wars is a merchandise machine. Hell, they basically invtented the "action figure" and movie merchandising to begin with. Star Trek as a pretty strong following with teens, and older folks, but Star Wars is pretty much universal. The merchandise plays to ALL audiences.

Height Limit? Just a few blocks away, they're about to build the tallest rollercoaster in the world at over 500 feet tall.

Which will have to have a giant flashing red light on top. Tower of Terror, Everest, Hogwarts... All sit under 200' to avoid this.

The merchandise plays to ALL audiences.

It does? I'm a Star Wars fan, and I have no desire to buy anything SW related.

Of course I can't think of anything Star Trek related I ever would have wanted to buy.

My problem with Trek is that I don't see what attraction possibilities there are outside of a normal flight simulator...which does not sound interesting in the slightest.

Also, if you're looking for what the theming may look like, Google "Star Trek Paramount Park Spain"

Last edited:
It does? I'm a Star Wars fan, and I have no desire to buy anything SW related.

Of course I can't think of anything Star Trek related I ever would have wanted to buy.

When I meant ALL, I meant all ages. Kids would rather have a stuffed animal Yoda then Spock, I would imagine.

And come on, you don't own one piece of Star Wars Merchandise? I mean not one? I find it hard to believe. Lucas/Mattel/etc has been pushing out products since the early 80s. Star Wars Merchandise is everywhere.

Even if you don't own one pair of star wars merchandise, that doesn't disprove my point.

As far as fandom Star Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Star Trek.

Though Star Trek still has a rather massive cult of followers.

yeah, but do you have need for a Phaser? Star Wars and Star Trek both have a nostaliga factor that plays to adults, which in turn sells merchanside, but Star Wars also has the younger demographic in it's tractor beam.

I was really just responding to the opinion that "Star Trek has better merchandise then Star Wars"..and "more people buy Star Trek merch then Star Wars merch"...which is just a completely false opinion.

Wasn't trying to indvidualize anyones personal taste.

yeah, but do you have need for a Phaser? Star Wars and Star Trek both have a nostaliga factor that plays to adults, which in turn sells merchanside, but Star Wars also has the younger demographic in it's tractor beam.

I was really just responding to the opinion that "Star Trek has better merchandise then Star Wars"..and "more people buy Star Trek merch then Star Wars merch"...which is just a completely false opinion.

Big fan of both franchises, but I think Star Wars wins in merchandising, primarily because kids love it. The last few times I went to the SW store in HS, there was 20 min wait to build your own light saber and 10 min wait to build your own robot. I love Star Trek, but dont see it pulling in the kids like SW.

That being said, I would love a Star Trek land. While I dont think it would have the kids draw, I think it would pull in tons of adults and geeks like myself.

- - - Updated - - -

This might come in handy during your next stay at Cabana Bay :thumbs:

http://www.amazon.com/STAR-MILLENIUM-FALCON-INFLATABLE-FLOAT/dp/B002D796O4/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Glad my son wasnt around when I pulled that up. He would still be begging for it right now :)

If Universal could build something along the lines of what I saw in Paramount's version, I'd be extremely impressed. I also saw the layout for a launched coaster that Paramount is building. We're not just restricted to a flight simulator here...my interest has been peaked.

Never said it was more popular, I said Star Trek merchandise is a lot harder to find, hints why it would be a juggarnaut with the phasers. Unique collectibles is why WWoHP is able to make so much also not having stuff thatt is available anywhere and everywhere.

Last edited: