Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 79 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think he was right. Thing is, they over-marketed and made it seem like it would be hell on earth. That, along with price increases and blackouts have really hampered attendance imo.
We probably should have got a clue what was happening when so many people on the various Disney forums were unhappy with the opening dates because they had already booked their vacations at WDW and/or Disneyland and didn't want to be there on those dates because of anticipated overcrowding, plus they weren't big SW fans.

Florida vs Cali, ENTIRELY different environment. People are on vacation and captive.

I can see that point but both are tourist destinations.

If Smuggler's Run and no Rise of the Resistance is the real issue with the land, this goes to show that rides should be of the upmost importance when building a land or new park.

We probably should have got a clue what was happening when so many people on the various Disney forums were unhappy with the opening dates because they had already booked their vacations at WDW and/or Disneyland and didn't want to be there on those dates because of anticipated overcrowding, plus they weren't big SW fans.

Maybe Star Wars is one of those IPs that have some of the most hardcore fanbases but for anybody who isn't remotely interested, they'll take a hard pass.

Disney is the world's most famous regional theme park. It just happens to have an enormous local populace to fall back on.

Ugh let's not start this please, not even as a joke.
It's clearly an outrageous joke, note the emois. No harm in lightening discussions up a bit. Humor takes the bitterness off the discussion. :lol: Lighten up dude.

Reactions: tacalert
Disney scared people so bad that they ran all the way from LA to Orlando, and got in line for Hagrid's coaster. ;):lol:

I know you joke but I know two people who had planned to go to LA for the first time to see Star Wars before it opened in Orlando. They go in September time like me but once the opening date was announced for DHS, they changed their plans and decided to go to Orlando. Hagrid's is now a huge bonus.

It's clearly an outrageous joke, note the emois. No harm in lightening discussions up a bit. Humor takes the bitterness off the discussion. :lol: Lighten up dude.

I know you joke but I know two people who had planned to go to LA for the first time to see Star Wars before it opened in Orlando. They go in September time like me but once the opening date was announced for DHS, they changed their plans and decided to go to Orlando. Hagrid's is now a huge bonus.

Thanks Scott for literally proving my point.

Reactions: Nick
Opening both of the lands in the same year was definitely an error, and with no discerning differences between the two I'd also be willing to bet the value of visiting either/or is weighted more towards DHS, as I believe ultimately from the consumer pov it can be seen that Disney World offers a better value for your money if you're going to travel anyways... But if you're only Travelling for the experience of SW:GE, It doesn't make sense that it really isn't more flooded as both lands are the same.

I'm hyper critical of Disney as they've positioned themselves as the top dog for so long... But for all the heavy-handed criticism I've thrown their way involving SW:GE, I'm a fan of themed entertainment first and foremost and I'm not rooting for anyone's theme park to be empty.

Opening both of the lands in the same year was definitely an error, and with no discerning differences between the two I'd also be willing to bet the value of visiting either/or is weighted more towards DHS, as I believe ultimately from the consumer pov it can be seen that Disney World offers a better value for your money if you're going to travel anyways... But if you're only Travelling for the experience of SW:GE, It doesn't make sense that it really isn't more flooded as both lands are the same.

I'm hyper critical of Disney as they've positioned themselves as the top dog for so long... But for all the heavy-handed criticism I've thrown their way involving SW:GE, I'm a fan of themed entertainment first and foremost and I'm not rooting for anyone's theme park to be empty.
Yeah, the thing is none of us should “want” the parks to be empty. It could easily cause Disney to rethink future investments/announcements at D23 this year.

A rising tide lifts all boats, so in a way we should want every major expansion to succeed to show the theme park operators that it's worth investing in completely immersive environments. I hope these are temporary growing pains that allows the parks to grow in the future while also being an enjoyable experience.

I think Disney might've oversold the insanity by doing so much blackout dates and opening the park incomplete. That and people fearing insane crowds might've delayed them going. If you have a choice of when to go to Disneyland (assuming non-AP), why not wait a few months when you don't need reservations that sold out in hours and 1/2 of the rides aren't open? With the prices being what they are, consumers are savvy and discriminating especially when you have to do so much prep work.

I heard the projects both went over budget so I assume from a financial viewpoint they wanted these things open ASAP to start putting cash back into the coffers rather than drain them, especially with the fact that both versions will be open by their fiscal year end.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
Yeah, the thing is none of us should “want” the parks to be empty. It could easily cause Disney to rethink future investments/announcements at D23 this year.
I think what GESWL does at DHS is going to be crucial to the future of full scale IP lands for Disney. TSL didn't really end up as a strong attendance pull short of it's first week or two. Pandora has succeeded more on the strength of the really good FOP attraction than the land as a whole. New Fantasy Land never met expectations either. The first phase of Marvel at DC is fairly small, so what's to come after Spider Man isn't for sure yet. If DHS GESWL only ends up as a moderate success, Disney might end up backing off of these really expensive IP lands and go back to the concept of new IP attractions just placed in existing areas of their parks. I'm talking "Return on Investment' primarily, and single attractions might look more feasible if DHS GESWL doesn't deliver big time. It will certainly be interesting to watch what happens....Myself, I hope the GESWL areas get over this initial slump since I greatly prefer immersive new lands over individual attractions plucked down in an existing land/area.

Last edited:
I think what GESWL does at DHS is going to be crucial to the future of full scale IP lands for Disney. TSL didn't really end up as a strong attendance pull short of it's first week or two. Pandora has succeeded more on the strength of the really good FOP attraction than the land as a whole. New Fantasy Land never met expectations either. The first phase of Marvel at DC is fairly small, so what's to come after Spider Man isn't for sure yet. If DHS GESWL only ends up as a moderate success, Disney might end up backing off of these really expensive IP lands and go back to the concept of new IP attractions just placed in existing areas of their parks. I'm talking "Return on Investment' primarily, and single attractions might look more feasible if DHS GESWL doesn't deliver big time. It will certainly be interesting to watch what happens....Myself, I hope the GESWL areas get over this initial slump since I greatly prefer immersive new lands over individual attractions plucked down in an existing land/area.
Almost as if they should focus on the parks being great as a whole and not focus on each new thing boosting attendance by 20 percent

Reactions: WAJAS and youhow2
In spite of everything Disney may have done wrong marketing wise and rotr, this still should've been packed, and its shocking.

Reactions: Mad Dog