1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by k_peek_2000, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Seems to me this summer, their only fix will be to unblock APs. If vacations have already been pushed off, you aren't getting them moved back.

SeventyOne, Fallow, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  2. Red Carpet

Red Carpet Member

The more people there are waiting for Rise of the Resistance, the more packed Disneyland will be once the ride finally opens.

Fallow likes this.
  3. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

Despite these crowds at DL, I still think DHS is gonna be a “s#it show” when it opens in Orlando.

Elegia, Tbad556, Andysol and 3 others like this.
  4. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

It's going to be a very busy fall for Orlando.

5. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Building off of that and not directed at you:

It's clear Disney expected thousands and thousands of guests in DCA and DL in May and June. People predicted 10 hour waits for SR, Hogsmeade like lines, and general chaos. Instead very few non-AP guests came. The important thing is these parks are staffed and have hours like a 9 or 10 out of 10, instead they're seeing a 3 out of 10 for crowds. Disney's spending tons of money on staffing that is not needed, running the parks longer than needed, and fewer people means fewer people buying things. One land's sales of lightsabers or plush isn't offsetting the rest of the resort's soft revenue.

The question is 1) is Disney ok with writing this off as a fluke and going full steam ahead 2) or are they panicking and reconsidering future investment. I think we'll have to wait and see what the rest of the year brings. But if there's one thing I do know NOW it's not to assume SWGE is a guaranteed hit, the unshakeable confidence has been rattled, hard.

WAJAS98, SeventyOne, Freak and 5 others like this.
  6. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

I agree with not letting people have lightsabers out. No one wants to get whacked in the shins by someone's precious little Jedi. There's also the "in character" reason of how many times in the Star Wars Movies did people have a lightsaber out and it not be for a fight? It would make no sense for people to be waving them around. The droids are obviously a bad idea to let people have out. They'd end up kicked bother accidentally and intentionally and it would turn violent. Robes though, I'm not sure why they wouldn't let people wear them. I can come up with a few fringe reasons, but not enough to outweigh the "they'd sell more" reason to let people wear them. Maybe they didn't want 1000 hardcore fans just living in the land dressed as jedis all the time. Who knows.

As for crowds(and this is more of a general comment that to anyone specific), I'm surprised, but not shocked. They blocked everyone out of a locals park. They have the tourist park opening the same exact thing in a couple months. The main ride isn't open yet. Everyone and their mother has been saying for 3 years how crowded the first few months/years were going to be, scaring people off. And the land has been open for a month now, burning off demand. The overall DL crowd levels being down are more of a result of block outs and fear of crowds. The land not being slammed full is a result of all of it.

Ryan, Andysol and Nick like this.
  7. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Sorry, I still don’t buy the “People were afraid of the crowds and didn’t come!” excuse. If that were the case people would stop coming Christmas week and Spring Break

8. Nick

I don’t buy that people just decided to stop coming to DLR right when SWGE opened as being a coincidence and I certainly don’t buy that more people cared about Pixar Pier than a Star Wars Land.

HereWeGo and Ryan like this.
  9. JungleSkip

The theme park going public has *never* shied away from high crowds, especially for a cool new thing opening. It’s unfathomable

SeventyOne likes this.
  10. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Our 2019 Christmas trip got moved to 2020 over Star Wars, but ok..

11. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I think people putting off trips until the land is complete is a not-inconsiderable factor contributing to the soft crowd levels.

Not opening with ROTR becomes an increasingly bizarre decision as the days pass, and it was already bizarre to begin with.

12. Red Carpet

Red Carpet Member

When Cars Land first opened it drew in major crowds. The main difference between the openings of Cars Land and Galaxy's Edge is that Cars actually opened up with its headliner.

Scott W., Freak, Fallow and 2 others like this.
  13. JungleSkip

I’d agree with this line of thinking if I thought vacationers didn’t think the Falcon was the headliner. Regular Joes aren’t gonna know that Rise is what it is

SeventyOne, rastuso and Mad Dog like this.
  14. Nick

Most new things don’t have a grand opening and also have the company tell them that the land won’t be complete upon opening, either.

HereWeGo, Fallow and belloq87 like this.
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Usually posters here are pretty knowledgeable about theme parks and for the most part are pretty decent predictors of success and/or failure. But no one here, not a single soul, had any inkling that this first 30 days could produce such poor attendance for Disneyland. I'd guess at Disney there also was probably not a single executive that thought this was going to happen to this extent. So many theories, but who knows the true cause. More like the perfect storm. ....Maybe this won't happen to WDW since it's a different animal with a different customer base....but...keep in mind that hotel room availability, at this point in time, is still pretty open for the first few months of when it will be open in Orlando. RotR can't come too soon.....THOUGH, as Jungle Skip says, the GP thought MF was the headliner. It's just us Theme Park fans that surmised RotR is the true headliner. So that might not be the whole issue either, just a piece of the not yet eaten pie.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    SeventyOne, Joe and Andysol like this.
  16. Ron101

Ron101 Rookie

What if... RotR is worse than MFSR? I think everyone is just assuming RotR will be good.

SeventyOne, Joe and rastuso like this.
  17. Nick

There’s no assumptions being made.

Andysol likes this.
  18. Jones14

Jones14 Rookie

Rise may end up being worse, but it is undoubtedly more ambitious by a good deal.

19. Ron101

Ron101 Rookie

I meant everyone is saying the land will be better when RotR opens. But what if it doesn’t make it better?

Andysol and rastuso like this.
  20. Nick

I mean, maybe it won’t. But I’d be very, VERY, surprised if it wasn’t one of, if not the best ride at Disneyland when it opens. Smugglers Run is a fun interactive ride, but Rise is supposed to be extremely grand and far superior to MFSR.

HereWeGo, Ryan, youhow2 and 2 others like this.