1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by k_peek_2000, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Dustin likes this.
  2. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

It could be a multitude of things. Terrific Ops, crowds being scared of the "insanity", people waiting until the land is fully open, blocked out passes... No one can point to any one thing being the cause for the lower turnout right now, but guests are happy and spending so that's a success in my book.

But if Disney decided to unblock more access, I think that's an obvious sign they aren't happy with the lower crowds.

Andysol, Freak, Nick and 9 others like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

I think they're happy about the land's crowd volume, not the rest of the resort though.

UniversalRBLX, Freak, Nick and 10 others like this.
  4. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Bingo

Freak, Ryan, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  5. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

"A rising tide lifts the Millenium Falcon" - Bob Iger

6. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

That actually makes sense. I didn't understand the logic at first.

7. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

It's still a huge slap in the face to let CMs in for free, and not people who actually pay for passes. CMs should be the LAST group to have blackouts lifted. CM park spending has to be a fraction of APs.

8. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Do you realize how much less there is to do at USH than DL? One ride having those kind of crowds means nothing when there's only about what, 6-7 rides in the park + the tram.

Andysol, HereWeGo and Ryan like this.
  9. Ryan

Falcon has a higher capacity (slightly) than FJ too. Let's not even forget the soft initial opening of Potter at USH either. Three years ago everybody was panicking, then it picked up. Very similar situation: Californians do not want to deal with crowds, and USH also blocked tons of people out.

Fallow, Freak and Nick like this.
  10. Nick

1.) Don't undersell how much money people are willing to spend (whether they responsibly can afford it or not) on stuff they think is cool because they're a fan. Happens all the time with Potter and TMs here in Orlando.

2.) The main goal is to have CMs bring family and or friends with comp passes on days off and then they are getting money spent over multiple bodies and people are more willing to spend money in the park because the CM who got them in got them in for free.

3.) APs don't spend as much as you seem to want to think.

11. Ryan

Deluxe APs maybe would spend. I can see them unblocking them select weekdays.

Fallow and Nick like this.
  12. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Falcon is moving more than 2500 people per hour? Why did I think this was a much lower capacity ride than that?

13. Ryan

IIRC it's about 2400 to 2700 per hour. Ridiculous amount of capacity on this thing.

Nick likes this.
  14. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Rookie

An I am still waiting for my 12 train ops on Hagrid.

WAJAS98 likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

We’ve heard you. Chill.

16. Trumen882

Trumen882 Newcomer

Went yesterday afternoon/night enjoyed the land a lot better the second time. Lower expectations I think helped. It really is very detailed and looks like they spent a ton of money on it. They were doing guest surveys, and I overheard someone already giving them advice on the music. I did not at any point hear John Williams themes at entrance or in the land.
    Smugglers run:
    Also smugglers run was better the 3rd time. I was an engineer and it was great to just look around the cabin and enjoy the scenery. I was pilot first 2 Times and didn’t really love it. The screens look worse the closer you are so farther back the graphics aren’t as noticeably poor. Probably helped too I only waited 5 minutes in single rider. Also these crowds ar great for guest satisfaction, Indy, haunted, pirates, splash, thunder all walk ons!!! The park was a literal ghost town town yesterday nightish.

Couple observations my dad made:
    -Not many people looked to be buying stuff. Cash registers had no lines but again this is just first hand observations of a small sample size
    -music was a noticeable issue (easy fix)
    - Dad wondered where Luke and yoga and c3PO are ( easy fix)
    -didn’t know exactly where we were supposed to be “this sure looks great but maybe I’m not really a Star Wars Fan because I have no idea what this is” when we were strolling around the marketplace
    -Harry Potter world he felt a lot more familiar and well done compared to this, but my dad liked the Star Wars land better at night. Daytime he was underwhelmed

My thoughts:
    -the bones are pretty great for the land and Having music and adding original triology characters are easy fixes
    -this will be a successful I’m sure I think it’s just weird crowd dynamics now
    -imagineers did a great job and Star Wars is way harder to convert to a theme park, so it noticeably doesn’t feel that familiar
    -had a blast yesterday on all the rides and the rest of Disneyland is in amazing shape. All effects working on Indy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Fallow, SeventyOne, belloq87 and 6 others like this.
  17. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Rookie

18. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

So, uh...Microtransactions are coming to Galaxy's Edge, in the form of the Disney Parks App.

LintemuthStudios likes this.
  19. LintemuthStudios

LintemuthStudios Veteran Member

Man, EA is invading the theme park world too? THERE'S NO ESCAPE!

tielo likes this.
  20. Nick

This is just sad to see. Although I guess Potter charges for their interactive experience, but at least in that case you're getting a wand for it and not just throwing away money on your phone. The Play Disney Parks app legitimately sucks from an interactivity standpoint and is another app that eats your battery. Glad this isn't something I intended on doing anyway.

SeventyOne likes this.