1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by k_peek_2000, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Member

Even though the last month has been quite at the parks Disney's knee jerk reaction to open up to CM's seems like a poor move. Yeah they can Block them out anytime they want so it is easy to control, but as a customer not unblocking Deluxe passes seems like a slap in the face.

2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

I've stated this many times but it's snake eat tail. There are many people who also are thirsty to see Disney fail and that rather annoys me. They clearly overplayed their hand a bit, but some are acting like this is A) a catastrophic failure or B) something to laugh at because of the "pixie dusters" who go around crapping all over Hagrid's foibles at the current moment. (which is also lame)

Regardless, I think we can all agree this has nothing to do with "the land/IP just wasn't as popular as Disney thought it was" but instead multiple other factors including an overcompensation towards blocking people out in a park that's largely driven by its locals.

kristenabelle and Nick like this.
  3. Dustin

Dustin Premium Member

100% right! Smugglers had a current wait time posted of 110 minutes. We are weeks into this thing now! Saying Galaxy’s Edge is anything outside of a success is comical. Only thing that could have been done better is ROTR, but that is almost strategic at this point.

If Disney opened this in September, where no blackout dates apply across the board, had one set opening date without reservations AND opened with ROTR, people would have camped for days AND the entire park would have reached capacity within opening hour. The difference is a staggered opening with much more positive press and customer satisfaction.

The only downside is theme park bloggers and theme park enthusiasts think it’s a failure because it missed the mark of hysteria that Hogsmeade had. If you really consider my points above, I think you’ll see why this thing is awesome and how smoothly it’s going even without ROTR.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    kristenabelle and fryoj like this.
  4. Ryan

Disneyland does seem a lot more crowded today already, I'll give it that.

5. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

I agree with this and I think it really highlights the bigger issue, that Disney is reaching a breaking point where they just can't control crowds with pricing. I suspect when the AP blackouts are lifted we're going to see a huge rush and serious crowding issues. This has been an issue with Disneyland for a while, where it seems to be an all or nothing type thing.

Nick, awhen and Ryan like this.
  6. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

I think there’s an angle of “the demand isn’t there” but we’re so far away from that possibly being an isolating variable it’s not worth discussing.

Ryan likes this.
  7. Ryan

I think that variable can be discussed when DHS opens at the very best.

Fallow and Joe like this.
  8. Dustin

Dustin Premium Member

Great point! Definitely right

9. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

I mean Pandora has lines soooooo :lol:

I think both will have to be looked at separate due to the different markets they go after. DL is the worlds largest regional park, WDW is the vacation kingdom.

Freak, Jones14, Fallow and 2 others like this.
  10. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I feel the Florida version of SWL will carry the success of the two, as, realistically, the land is not designed for people who go all the time...I also feel Disney Orlando is concerning themselves less and less with those folks

11. rastuso

rastuso Member

I gotta assume there is a heavy correlation between die hard fans getting to the land ASAP, and the guests willing to buy a $200 light saber.

I do think the light saber line will die off fairly quickly.

12. Trumen882

Trumen882 Newcomer

I think you are right. Also Orlando’s Star Wars Land will be a lot more popular since it’s located in a park that needs an extra land/attraction way more than DL

shiekra38 likes this.
  13. Ryan

Highly doubt that considering the capacity.

14. rastuso

rastuso Member

When was the last NEW ride opening at Disneyland? Pooh? Not surprising a new ride has a long line.

An empty park has to be making a HUGE impact to those in charge.

And opening up to non paying CMs is a VERY perplexing move. That will bring in a lot of low paid kids with very little spending money, and friends who can slip them freebies, and let them in FP queues without FPs. And that will do nothing but make the park experience for actual paying customers with money worse.

It makes no sense unless Disney has some very distressing internal numbers, and hotel ressies throughout the summer are dismal in Anaheim.

15. Ryan

I think the idea is to bring their families.

youhow2 and Trumen882 like this.
  16. Dustin

Dustin Premium Member

I wouldn’t say this is an issue. I would just say that the staggered opening is doing its job and disney is slowly returning to normal operation. One little step every so often until it reaches a boiling point. So far, so good.

17. Trumen882

Trumen882 Newcomer

The idea is that if they unblock some annual pass holders they are devaluing the annual passes that are unblocked currently. This would cause their value to decrease. By unblocking CMs they get around this issue

UNIrd and Fallow like this.
  18. Evan

Evan Member

19. Ryan

What's funny is that if they're marketing low crowds and crowds appear... well...

20. devinp267

devinp267 Premium Member

The boiling point is inevitable, and i get what they are doing now, but if it's hurting you now was it worth it? Especially knowing that when the flood gates open it's gonna happen anyway? I think they believe they are getting rid of enough people doing this phase, not!

rastuso likes this.