Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I mean... The whole thing is kind of based around the saga of luke skywalker and and his father. Thats like saying you're a fan of lakers but don't watch basketball.

This land will be nuts when it opens at DHS and I predict everyone here saying Disney should be scared won't correct themselves. Disneyland and the west coast is just a different beast, and with all APs blocked out... this was bound to happen. Summers have trended quieter the last few years because of block outs, with Saturdays being some of the lowest attendance usually. This year they blocked out even more then usual... In a locals market, with a crazy AP base.

Galaxy's Edge is fine. If people didn't like it, they wouldn't go in the land, and Disneyland / DCA would still be busy.

This land will be nuts when it opens at DHS and I predict everyone here saying Disney should be scared won't correct themselves. Disneyland and the west coast is just a different beast, and with all APs blocked out... this was bound to happen. Summers have trended quieter the last few years because of block outs, with Saturdays being some of the lowest attendance usually. This year they blocked out even more then usual... In a locals market, with a crazy AP base.

Galaxy's Edge is fine. If people didn't like it, they wouldn't go in the land, and Disneyland / DCA would still be busy.

I agree that Disneyland and Disney World are completely different. However it is obvious that GE isn’t pulling in crowds. Just check out MiceChats write up today . They no visit GE on different days and times and the land was consistently empty.

I hope we are wrong and if we are I’ll be the first one to admit it. if Disney fails to hit the benchmarks they set out they will cut future expansions. I would hate to return to the dark days after Euro Disneyland

Last edited:

Big fan of this take. 100% on board.

I agree that Disneyland and Disney World are completely different. However it is obvious that GE isn’t pulling in crowds. Just check out MiceChats write up today . They no visit GE on different days and times and the land was consistently empty.

I hope we are wrong and if we are I’ll be the first one to admit it. if Disney fails to hit the benchmarks they set out they will cut future expansions. I would hate to return to the dark days after Euro Disneyland

I don't always trust Micechat, especially when it's very easy to take photos to manipulate a narrative. I've seen lots of other images/video that shows the land hopping still. Sure, it's not jam packed... but it's not an area void of all humans.

And I again believe, even if GE is considered a failure (which I think is a narrative being pushed by a vocal but small minority), Disneyland itself would still be busy. But at least everyone I know up here in Canada, that know about GE, all were under the impression the summer would be INSANE and are avoiding the parks. Disney fans up here that I know also went before opening to avoid the madness.

Anecdotal I know, but I imagine many are doing the same. I thought about a trip but decided, no thanks. Wish I had booked one now... the waits are glorious.

What ever you put in disney will be ok just because of it being at Disney. Blunder of Disneyland aside, when it is open season both will be jam packed. True enough it's possible they might not see the jump in attendance they wanted but a fail is just not gonna happen simply because it's at a disney park.

One thing everyone is forgetting about, namely ROI. If the billion dollar budget for Disneyland alone is even close to accurate, along with the interest for that cost, Disney will need a heck of a lot new tourists, who wouldn't normally visit Disneyland, to come and spend lots and lots and lots of money on tickets, hotels, merch., food & beverage. And they will need the AP's to spend lots and lots more money on merch./food/ beverages than they normally would spend.........I'm guessing WDW will have an easier time meeting their ROI investment than the Disneyland Resort meeting theirs.

One thing everyone is forgetting about, namely ROI. If the billion dollar budget for Disneyland alone is even close to accurate, along with the interest for that cost, Disney will need a heck of a lot new tourists, who wouldn't normally visit Disneyland, to come and spend lots and lots and lots of money on tickets, hotels, merch., food & beverage. And they will need the AP's to spend lots and lots more money on merch./food/ beverages than they normally would spend.........I'm guessing WDW will have an easier time meeting their ROI investment than the Disneyland Resort meeting theirs.
Disney for sure counted on ripping off a lot of locals who they largely already ripped off in favor of tourists who were largely not enough of an instant market to fill the blackout void.

Any of the doomsayers willing to take an avatar bet that DHS will have the same crowd issues as DLC does?
I'm guessing that DHS will be pretty crowded, BUT that crowd will, in large part, come at the expense of smaller crowds at Epcot & AK. There's sooo many hotel rooms available at WDW through most of the Fall that I don't think there'll be any more tourists throughout the entire WDW system than in a normal Fall season. But I do think the locals will flock to DHS, so along with the tourists cutting their AK & Epcot time, that will result in a steadily busy DHS.

It's a tough thing to measure. If we assume X amount of people visit DL on a set day historically you would need an uptick to see any ROI. Based on an empty DL with assumed reduced merch sales across the park, GE might actually be causing a negative ROI. Only way to make that look better is to reduce operating expense (salaries) which they are apparently doing already with a hiring freeze and cancelling shows.

It's a tough thing to measure. If we assume X amount of people visit DL on a set day historically you would need an uptick to see any ROI. Based on an empty DL with assumed reduced merch sales across the park, GE might actually be causing a negative ROI. Only way to make that look better is to reduce operating expense (salaries) which they are apparently doing already with a hiring freeze and cancelling shows.
I think the only thing left to do is to put a trash can in front of the land and pretend it doesn't exist

I'm guessing that DHS will be pretty crowded, BUT that crowd will, in large part, come at the expense of smaller crowds at Epcot & AK. There's sooo many hotel rooms available at WDW through most of the Fall that I don't think there'll be any more tourists throughout the entire WDW system than in a normal Fall season. But I do think the locals will flock to DHS, so along with the tourists cutting their AK & Epcot time, that will result in a steadily busy DHS.
Free dining just came out and probably they aren't going to limit it just to get the publicity given what happened in Disneyland. The parks are gonna be slammed. I guarantee you people would trade a thousand dollars in trip money over not getting to ride ROTR. Disneyland just got overly greedy.

Free dining just came out and probably they aren't going to limit it just to get the publicity given what happened in Disneyland. The parks are gonna be slammed. I guarantee you people would trade a thousand dollars in trip money over not getting to ride ROTR. Disneyland just got overly greedy.

Looks like their September hotel rooms have a plentiful supply, then a BIG blackout, before Christmas season. Sorta stunned in goes all the way to Christmas week. That has to be unprecidented.

But who would go then, with MMRR and RotR likely opening in a month or two.

And of course, free dining is a scam for people who don't math.

Looks like their September hotel rooms have a plentiful supply, then a BIG blackout, before Christmas season. Sorta stunned in goes all the way to Christmas week. That has to be unprecidented.

But who would go then, with MMRR and RotR likely opening in a month or two.

And of course, free dining is a scam for people who don't math.
Free dining is a scam for a number of people, but not for the type that max out a room, which is like most of the people probably taking the deal.

Free dining is a scam for a number of people, but not for the type that max out a room, which is like most of the people probably taking the deal.

Even with 4 adults, with all the other ticket requirements, and paying rack rate, unless you all have voracious appetites, it's at best a break even deal for a Disney Resort. And Disney Resort's in general are ridiculously overpriced at this point.

I just did a mock booking out of curiosity, and the "Free" dining Plan was $800 more than the same room and ticket combo without a dining plan. It was $700 cheaper than adding the dining plan to that room though. So if you were buying the package anyway it's cheaper, but nowhere near Free.