Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Iger: 'How, the magical brown sparkles, will we fix GE?'
Board member 1: 'Maybe rebuild it into a location from the movies?'
Iger pushes a button and the seat of the board member falls into a underground chamber with a fire pit. To muffle the screams "It's a small world" blasts trough the speakers.
Iger: 'NEXT!'
Board member 2: 'We could change the blue milk in something drinkable and lower the prices and...'
Another deadly scream is heard as the smell of burned flesh fills the board room.
Iger: 'I payed a bloody magical billion dollars for this thing,' as he pushes his pinky in the corner of his mouth, 'I want to earn a magical amount of moula, not spent more!'
Board member 3: 'Maybe we can do this?' (holds up photo)
character-meet-star-wars-00.jpg

Iger: 'Brilliant! We do that, we still have the costumes. Call a few of those guys we gave the sack and call Kathleen to tell her we need a reshoot for the next Star Trek movie to put these in to make them canon, how are they called?)
Board member 4: 'It's Star Wars, sir...aaaaaah!'
Board member 3: 'They are Mickey and Minnie and....aaaaah!'
As "It's a small world" battles the sounds of the screams Iger leans back: 'I don't care about that, only moula, mucho muola.'
Board member 5: Next point is the monorail, your magical highness, it's kind of broken and money should be spent to....'

Well, an original non IP is not Star Wars. Star Wars is one of the biggest IP's out there so if you are going to do Star Wars, id expect Star Wars. Those are two completely different things. How would people have felt if Universal did an original HP land?

Well, an original non IP is not Star Wars. Star Wars is one of the biggest IP's out there so if you are going to do Star Wars, id expect Star Wars. Those are two completely different things. How would people have felt if Universal did an original HP land?
That’s why I said it’s a compromise. Regarding Harry Potter, I guess we may find out the answer to your question when Fantastic Worlds opens?

Also the Falcon, Stormtroopers, lightsabers etc. seems pretty Star Wars to me

That’s why I said it’s a compromise. Regarding Harry Potter, I guess we may find out the answer to your question when Fantastic Worlds opens?

You don't compromise for one of the biggest IP's out there though you just deliver. MMRR is the closest we'll get to an original attraction nowadays id say. Also I don't think theres going to be Potter in FW, or at least its not confirmed or anything just yet.

You don't compromise for one of the biggest IP's out there though you just deliver. MMRR is the closest we'll get to an original attraction nowadays id say. Also I don't think theres going to be Potter in FW, or at least its not confirmed or anything just yet.
I don’t think you’re getting what I meant.

The compromise is between getting an original land and a IP land. I think the original setting based in an IP’s universe is a good compromise.

The land seems pretty high quality with loads of Star Wars references, I don’t understand how it’s seen as anything but a good addition by both sides of the IP debate?

I don’t think you’re getting what I meant.

The compromise is between getting an original land and a IP land. I think the original setting based in an IP’s universe is a good compromise.

The land seems pretty high quality with loads of Star Wars references, I don’t understand how it’s seen as anything but a good addition by both sides of the IP debate?

I don't think you get what Im saying either. With an IP like Star Wars, one of the biggest box offices hits ever, you don't compromise with an original land to please people who want that. Frankly not enough of their customer base cares that much about that to be honest. If they opened HP first without Hogwarts or Hogsmeade but just had references throughout it'd be fun, but ultimately doesn't pack the full punch and would feel like a missed opportunity. When you have classic locations like they do for Star Wars, I think going with an original location is a major risk frankly. It doesn't look bad at all and thats not my argument, but I think in the future when there are debates about the best theme park lands this one takes a major hit for that component, theres just no connection to the land. And again with Star Wars, arguably their biggest IP, you need to create a location that fans are familiar with so they will go to it. Extremely early, but the hype for this seems to be waring off a little bit rather quick.

I don't think you get what Im saying either. With an IP like Star Wars, one of the biggest box offices hits ever, you don't compromise with an original land to please people who want that. Frankly not enough of their customer base cares that much about that to be honest. If they opened HP first without Hogwarts or Hogsmeade but just had references throughout it'd be fun, but ultimately doesn't pack the full punch and would feel like a missed opportunity. When you have classic locations like they do for Star Wars, I think going with an original location is a major risk frankly. It doesn't look bad at all and thats not my argument, but I think in the future when there are debates about the best theme park lands this one takes a major hit for that component, theres just no connection to the land. And again with Star Wars, arguably their biggest IP, you need to create a location that fans are familiar with so they will go to it. Extremely early, but the hype for this seems to be waring off a little bit rather quick.
Happy to be proved wrong but I can’t think of a single location from Star Wars that would make a compelling land that allows ‘things’ from all films to appear in one way or another.

Well when the land is empty, and WDW hotels are offering discounts right after its opening in Orlando I don't think its low hanging fruit to complain about as it could be a problem in why attendance is down, on top of other reasons that have been mentioned. And for me its out of the running because, well, theres not much connection to it from a fan perspective and I think thats a major component. We all love the Hollywood Tower hotel, we love the Epcot ball, we love the countries in Europe, we love Hogsmeade, we love MK for its familiar locations, people want to go where they know. Just my two cents, but I think it may be an issue for Disney. At least its an issue amongst hardcore fans I know. We aren't the entire demographic thats going to this land but its another piece to the puzzle of why this has not been successful just yet.

Disney fans: More original non-IP stuff in the parks

Disney: We paid loads for Star Wars so gotta use it, how about a brand new original land based in SW universe, compromise?

Disney fans: Boo, we want a exact copy of a planet from a 40 year old film

No pleasing some

Not to rehash but you’re conflating two things then creating a straw man.

Well when the land is empty, and WDW hotels are offering discounts right after its opening in Orlando I don't think its low hanging fruit to complain about as it could be a problem in why attendance is down, on top of other reasons that have been mentioned. And for me its out of the running because, well, theres not much connection to it from a fan perspective and I think thats a major component. We all love the Hollywood Tower hotel, we love the Epcot ball, we love the countries in Europe, we love Hogsmeade, we love MK for its familiar locations, people want to go where they know. Just my two cents, but I think it may be an issue for Disney. At least its an issue amongst hardcore fans I know. We aren't the entire demographic thats going to this land but its another piece to the puzzle of why this has not been successful just yet.
But the Hollywood Tower is an original attraction based in an IP's universe, the same as Galaxys edge?
Not to rehash but you’re conflating two things then creating a straw man.
I get your point but I'm just trying to say whatever Disney did people would moan.

But the Hollywood Tower is an original attraction based in an IP's universe, the same as Galaxys edge?

I get your point but I'm just trying to say whatever Disney did people would moan.

I believe ToT Hotel is based off a hotel in Los Angelas though, but not a complete re-make of the hotel. I made a full and cohesive argument so I'm not just moaning about what Disney does lol Id be upset if Universal did a land on Potter or another IP I loved without it being from the films. Especially films like these that have truly iconic locations.

Can people stop doing this ??? You can’t speak for everybody especially the young generation who may have no attachment to the characters like people who grew up in that time did.

I don't buy. To have grown up at that time to have an attachment to those characters, you have to be at least 50+.

I believe ToT Hotel is based off a hotel in Los Angelas though, but not a complete re-make of the hotel. I made a full and cohesive argument so I'm not just moaning about what Disney does lol Id be upset if Universal did a land on Potter or another IP I loved without it being from the films. Especially films like these that have truly iconic locations.
I understand, I didn't meant it in a rude way. Everyones going to have a different opinion, I'm with you on Potter cause all the films are 99% in the same locations so it makes sense to base the lands there. With Star Wars the locations in the films have no pull for me, personal preference.
Indiana Jones seems to work pretty well not being based off a film location but I guess its still kinda a real world location.

But I also think the majority of guests won't care what the planet is called, it will just be "the Star Wars area with the Falcon!!!"

People act like kids can't get attached to the old trilogy though and you only need to be older to care about Luke. Thats just not true I'm 22 and fell in love with these films when I was younger. Star Wars films as a whole have a multi generational pull, for all their films. Thats another reason why I thought ignoring the OT is a tough decision to make. People didnt go see The Force Awakens because of Rey or Kylo (no disrespect to their lovely characters) but they went because Star Wars and Han and Chewey.

A lot of Star Wars media, including Star Tours (Which was Star Wars first ENTRY into the theme park world.) is based around the side of the universe that isn’t explored in films. All Star Tours had in terms of original characters from the films was R2 and C3PO. So it kinda makes sense that the theme park world in itself would be world building.

I really don’t see anyway they’d be able to make a original trilogy themed land with the established characters (which seems to be what you are talking about.) the best I can see is recreated worlds (Which, outside of.. I dunno, Cloud City) would similarly look dreary.

I'll bet Universal is watching this and will consider the lack of love for Batuu when putting together their Potter World for FW.