Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

GESWL apologist chronology................................................................
*Disney sets up reservation system for opening. Walkways expanded to absorb huge expected crowds........Disney Apologist: OMG the crowds will swarm the land
* GESWL debut fairly empty with large numbers of reservation holders not showing up.....Apologist: It was too hard to get reservations and everyone thought it would be too crowded
* Disney changes policy and permits reservation holders to bring extra guests....Apologist: OMG the crowds will swarm the land
*Land AND Park still fairly empty...Apologist: Just wait until the first day after the reservation period. OMG Disneyland and GESWL will be so swarmed with guests and over crowded.
*Grand opening day after Reservation period elapses: After initial few hours rush of guests the 'special entry into the land ticket system', which was expected to last all summer, is abandoned and never used again.
Crowds in Disneyland never materializes and GESWL is a veritable ghost town by day two..........Apologist: No one is coming because most of the AP's and CM's are blocked out.
* Disney permits AP holders to buy discounted tickets, & bring guests with them. New low price date specific AP's are able to get into park because crowds are so small. But Disneyland & DCA (which is not blocked out to AP holders) continue to experience unprecedented low crowds. GESWL still a relative ghost town......Apologist: No one is coming since they thought it would get too crowded plus CM's are blocked out.
* Disney lifts CM blackouts for most summer dates. Disneyland, DCA, & GESWL still super slow....................Apologists: Just wait until the AP's are unblocked at the end of August. OMG, the park will be so crowded you won't be able to move.
*End of August comes. AP's unblocked. Still no one shows up. Both parks and GESWL dead as a doorknob......Apologists: Just wait until RotR opens. OMG, the park will be so crowded. It'll be the second coming.
* January: To be continued .....;)
Oh but wait... wait until it's spring break... *do this repeatedly until the end of the world*

An we have our first food/drink casualty for the land, the Bespin Fizz is no more.

This bums me out since that was one of the better drinks, not to mention the presentation of it was one of the most fitting for the land.

An we have our first food/drink casualty for the land, the Bespin Fizz is no more.

This bums me out since that was one of the better drinks, not to mention the presentation of it was one of the most fitting for the land.

Most likely the carbon freeze will be gone too. My guess is the dry ice machines are too much maintenance. The first few months these things were offline from time to time.

Most likely the carbon freeze will be gone too. My guess is the dry ice machines are too much maintenance. The first few months these things were offline from time to time.
Damn its so sad Disney can't afford maintenance on crazy expensive drinks in the most expensive land ever made in one of the most expensive parks in the world.

After watching the Mandalorian, I have two suggestions to fix GE:

Baby Yoda meet and greet. This will easily get longer lines than MF.

Serve “ZOOKA!” at Docking Bay. Imagine being able to cut off the top of the egg to consume that good stuff.

After watching the Mandalorian, I have two suggestions to fix GE:

Baby Yoda meet and greet. This will easily get longer lines than MF.

I would have to imagine that we will get a Baby Yoda M & G sooner rather than later.

Totally agree, but only after Disney come up with suitably decent Baby Yoda merch and not the half assed stuff they have come out with so far.

Totally agree, but only after Disney come up with suitably decent Baby Yoda merch and not the half assed stuff they have come out with so far.
I thought the merchandise at GESWL, besides the robots & light sabers, was pretty much terrible. Some of the stuff I saw was just pure ugly. Nothing that I even considered purchasing. I thought that with Chapek being a 'retail guy' that Disney would shine in the GESWL merchandise aspect.

I thought the merchandise at GESWL, besides the robots & light sabers, was pretty much terrible. Some of the stuff I saw was just pure ugly. Nothing that I even considered purchasing. I thought that with Chapek being a 'retail guy' that Disney would shine in the GESWL merchandise aspect.

So basically Chapek isn't even good at the thing he is supposed to be good at at?
Well that's a shocker... or not :shrug:

In fairness I haven't been but there seems to be some nice stuff. I'd have thought they would have used focus group research for the land merch?

Timeline it could work, Mandalorian is set 25 years before TFA and since baby Yoda is a baby at 50 years, another 25 years would make him Toddler Yoda?
See that could work and aren’t all M&G usually timeless and never “age” so to speak? Seeing that these are part of the new trilogy I could see it working. My guess would be something similar to the BB-8 M&G.

I dunno I thought the Star Wars merch was pretty strong already, just a bit greedy on prices. I don't really understand the interaction though. I really have no clue about how good the interactive stuff is though. Wizzarding world with the wands seems like a much more focused product that way. Really obvious as to the value of buying a wand. Maybe Disney has a lot of flexibility and expansion of the interactivity in mind though for the future.

Quick thoughts after my visit today:
-Land is good-to-great overall. Borders on perfect in many places. Lack of music and real shows hold it back, but there are so many great touches.
-Merch is very good, but SO overpriced. Lots of stuff me (and even my wife) liked but we just had to balk at the price
-The Cantina is something that GE has over WWOHP. WW desperately needed a bar like it. The atmosphere in there is great. The cocktails, however, at ATROCIOUS. But the beer we had was very , very good.
-Blue Milk is good, actually
-Datapad stuff is much more fun than they made it seem. Good interactions with the land.
-Loved all the character interactions I saw.
-Smugglers Run is possibly the worst big budget theme park ride I’ve ever experienced. I’m astonished anyone thought that POS was worthy of being in this land.

Seems like lack of the memorable Star Wars music to stir the emotions and good live shows are the most common concern that keeps the area from being rated great across the board. That was basically my bottom line view also (GESWL-DHS). It's really an easy fix if Disney wants to commit to it. If they do, it will be the equal of WWOHP.