Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Before I post this, just know that I do not think the shops won't make money or won't be cool, but anyway...

Another thing to consider when talking about Potter shops vs SW ones, is that we spent a decade and a half reading about/watching on film these *specific* shops in WWOHP. We knew about Honeyduke's and Zonko's and Ollivander's for so long. These shops in Galaxy's Edge (outside of the Cantina) don't have the same iconic stature, so people IMO aren't going to wait in line for them just to see them the same way that people did for the iconic Potter locales.

Again, I don't think this will diminish their *earning* power, but it will diminish normal guests' desire to wait in line/browse them if they're really crowded.

i agree
Before I post this, just know that I do not think the shops won't make money or won't be cool, but anyway...

Another thing to consider when talking about Potter shops vs SW ones, is that we spent a decade and a half reading about/watching on film these *specific* shops in WWOHP. We knew about Honeyduke's and Zonko's and Ollivander's for so long. These shops in Galaxy's Edge (outside of the Cantina) don't have the same iconic stature, so people IMO aren't going to wait in line for them just to see them the same way that people did for the iconic Potter locales.

Again, I don't think this will diminish their *earning* power, but it will diminish normal guests' desire to wait in line/browse them if they're really crowded.
i think the Harry Potter story fits overall better into a theme park than Star wars does which is why they had to create an entire new planet. When i say better overall fit i mean
elaborate themeing
food and bev
shops

i agree

i think the Harry Potter story fits overall better into a theme park than Star wars does which is why they had to create an entire new planet. When i say better overall fit i mean
elaborate themeing
food and bev
shops

Right. I don't disagree. And I don't think Star Wars will be worse for it. It's clearly going to be something special. But I think when comparing Potter and SW, people often miss that WWOHP is full of areas the series explains and shows off in excruciating detail, while GE is an original concept. That will almost ensure that people explore them in different ways, which we'll have to see once GE opens. Personally I think it's exciting. The two best lands in the world (I assume) have the potential to really be two totally different experiences.

Again, WWOHP opened 13 years from the first publication, and only 9 years after the first movie.

Star Wars opened 42 years ago. And has been mega popular that whole time.

Yeah, Star Tours has existed, and yeah Disney stupidly made this new land non movie based, but there is MASSIVE pent up demand.

And I don't care if you think it's a lie or not, when WW opened the first weeks were nuts, but the masses were scrambling to make plans after finding out about a HP amusement park. Universal was really struggling. That really helped spread out the crowd a bit.

Anyone going to Disney the last couple years is well aware of SWGE coming. Yeah, those that hit Universal were too but that was like a third the people. And no one had seen anything so immersive before, it completely blew away even the most die hard theme park goers.

SWGE has all those expectations baked in. Plus 4 times the fanbase time. Plus, as we've seen at Pandora, a movie with hardly any hardcore fanbase, Disney visitors are so starving for new E ticket rides, they are instantly packed to the gills forever, try to get a Dwarf Hill FP today.

The crowds are going to be like HP opening day for weeks if not months. Disneyland opening first MAY help out, but if anything, it will just keep the WDW crowds from bringing DHS to its knees immediately.

I think this is why Disney is saying no costumes to keep out the hardcore riffraff to an extent. What they do with FP, and early and late access is going to be key. If they do daily hard ticket events, that would solve a lot of problems, and I will be stunned if they don't do that. They could essentially have 3 operating days per day.

I’ll take that bet. There is no way this happens

As I said, that is if they do nothing special for FPs. But I truly think they will have a hard ticket event daily. For either morning or night, perhaps both.

And Disney could surprise us with some completely new FP twist.

Slinky dog had 2 hour lines for a few months, for a small family coaster with basic, static, theming outdoors. And the land was jammed for months, for a small coaster, a kiddie ride, a 10 year old ride, and a Stand selling small sandwiches.

According to Laughing Place, Slinky and Dwarf Hill, plus both Pandora rides have 75 minute waits right now. On a Wednesday in early February. I'd assume there haven't been FPs for any of them for weeks, except lucky cancellations.

The February before Wizarding World opened, Spider-man probably had a 15 minute wait,and everything else was a walkon.

As I said, that is if they do nothing special for FPs. But I truly think they will have a hard ticket event daily. For either morning or night, perhaps both.

And Disney could surprise us with some completely new FP twist.

Slinky dog had 2 hour lines for a few months, for a small family coaster with basic, static, theming outdoors. And the land was jammed for months, for a small coaster, a kiddie ride, a 10 year old ride, and a Stand selling small sandwiches.

According to Laughing Place, Slinky and Dwarf Hill, plus both Pandora rides have 75 minute waits right now. On a Wednesday in early February. I'd assume there haven't been FPs for any of them for weeks, except lucky cancellations.

"Long waits for the newest rides in a park, all of which have questionable/low capacity" is not the same as Potter Opening Day crowds, which equated to lining up all the way around CityWalk just to get into the land. That was my point. Of course the land will be crowded and popular, and the rides will have long lines.

"Long waits for the newest rides in a park, all of which have questionable/low capacity" is not the same as Potter Opening Day crowds, which equated to lining up all the way around CityWalk just to get into the land. That was my point. Of course the land will be crowded and popular, and the rides will have long lines.

There will be a long line to get into the land too. And the point is, DHS is already pretty much at capacity. This is going to totally boil over and those folks will have nowhere to go. All nice restaurants are already booked months in advance, all good rides are already booked weeks in advance.

The number of folks waiting will be enormous, they just may not be waiting in an actual line at DHS. But they will be clogging up the park bad. Universal could quickly get rid of that line with the return time tickets they did, and they had a whole park to absorb the people.

DHS does not.

Jim Hill now saying Star Tours will be shut down once the SWGE crowds die down,

More proof SR is pretty much Star Tours 3.0.

And it makes me suspect even more that Smuggler s Run is being dumbed down before it opens. I suspect the interactive version may be used only for hotel guests, which would be quite the draw to pay those big room prices.

This is a flat out lie.

I want to explain this more.

I was surprised by how popular and big the Wizarding World was originally. Really, no joke. I was in college and dealing with my own life at that point and I held the theme park world at an arms length at that point. So I was at a party with my fraternity and I was talking to a woman there and theme parks came up, she mentioned stuff about the Wizarding World and how she was excited and I played it down. Then I saw the opening day lines and I was wrong. I figured I needed to listen to the general public more.

It's a lie that "people didn't know of the wizarding world" before it opened. If so then why were the lines so long? But it is true Potter surprised a lot of people. Hope this explains things more. @rastuso

There will be a long line to get into the land too. And the point is, DHS is already pretty much at capacity. This is going to totally boil over and those folks will have nowhere to go. All nice restaurants are already booked months in advance, all good rides are already booked weeks in advance.

The number of folks waiting will be enormous, they just may not be waiting in an actual line at DHS. But they will be clogging up the park bad. Universal could quickly get rid of that line with the return time tickets they did, and they had a whole park to absorb the people.

DHS does not.

DHS is not at capacity, many days it doesn't reach 10k unique guests a day. Hell, on a weekend we got notifications to book for nice restaurants for immediate availability (and we saw plenty of empty tables).

It blows my mind how Disney can both be brilliant and perfect in design yet totally incompetent in another breath to drive a narrative of "SW:GE will destroy all expectations". This is already reach hype levels beyond Pandora.

DHS is not at capacity, many days it doesn't reach 10k unique guests a day. Hell, on a weekend we got notifications to book for nice restaurants for immediate availability (and we saw plenty of empty tables).

It blows my mind how Disney can both be brilliant and perfect in design yet totally incompetent in another breath to drive a narrative of "SW:GE will destroy all expectations". This is already reach hype levels beyond Pandora.

If DHS doesn't hit 10k a day a lot, then why are Midway Mania FPs sold out all days? That ride gives close to 25k rides a day. If FP is 70%, then 18k people are going at least, and there are always TONS of people whining about not getting MM fast passes. They would have never built the third track if 10k was a normal crowd.

Then add in all the people getting other tier 1 FP+, and honestly, 10k a day is ridiculous.

Jim Hill now saying Star Tours will be shut down once the SWGE crowds die down,

More proof SR is pretty much Star Tours 3.0.

And it makes me suspect even more that Smuggler s Run is being dumbed down before it opens. I suspect the interactive version may be used only for hotel guests, which would be quite the draw to pay those big room prices.
...Ok? So Jim Hill is going around saying things that we've known to be true? Big deal. We've known that Star Tours wouldn't stay open long after SWGE. There's literally an entire thread dedicated to it that was created in August 2017 Future of Star Tours (DHS) | Inside Universal Forums

...Ok? So Jim Hill is going around saying things that we've known to be true? Big deal. We've known that Star Tours wouldn't stay open long after SWGE. There's literally an entire thread dedicated to it that was created in August 2017 Future of Star Tours (DHS) | Inside Universal Forums

It's always best to quote others. First, you can claim it as your own if it's accurate. If it's wrong, you can blame the other person. That's Journalism 101. <said with a very sarcastic tone>

It's always best to quote others. First, you can claim it as your own if it's accurate. If it's wrong, you can blame the other person. That's Journalism 101. <said with a very sarcastic tone>
One exception.....Never ever quote Jim Hill.........unless you want to just make fun of him....;):lol:

I would think they'd want to close down Star Tours as GE opens. I'd think that Star Tours detracts from the idea of the new land. If they hype SWGE and all people get to see is this old simulator ride with it's small surrounding scenery, they'll have a negative impression of this multi-billion dollar land if they never get in (which I could see happening).

I would think they'd want to close down Star Tours as GE opens. I'd think that Star Tours detracts from the idea of the new land. If they hype SWGE and all people get to see is this old simulator ride with it's small surrounding scenery, they'll have a negative impression of this multi-billion dollar land if they never get in (which I could see happening).

It's a balancing act. You'll no doubt have idiots who somehow manage to completely miss GE and only ride Star Tours thinking that was it and slate Disney for it but is that going to be worse than having one less ride in an incredibly packed park with very few rides?

It's a balancing act. You'll no doubt have idiots who somehow manage to completely miss GE and only ride Star Tours thinking that was it and slate Disney for it but is that going to be worse than having one less ride in an incredibly packed park with very few rides?
and they'll want to hop on the Harry Potter ride as soon as they get of Star Tours Two. ;)

Hadn't thought of that. But you're right. We'll see "New Star Wars land a huge letdown" with a pic of Star Tours. But, hey, at least it has episode VI theming.