Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 74 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For comparison, here is current state of our SWL:

33874246045_a5aa9137cc_o.jpg

PHOTOS, VIDEO: Get a Bird's Eye View of Star Wars Land & Toy Story Land Construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios - WDW News TodayWDW News Today

pretty similar with their's overlaid:
ss 2017-04-06 at 3.07.58 PM.jpg

And when you see it from below, still tiny.
Yep, the park - including the parking lot - is somewhere around 145 acres. Only 70 acres of that is guest accessible.

They do have plenty of ways to turn backstage space into onstage space though and if the park really needs it, the new parking lot going right to the side of Muppets/SWL makes it very easy for the park to expand out that way.

For comparison, here is current state of our SWL:

33874246045_a5aa9137cc_o.jpg
The most obvious change from the last aerial is what looks like a backstage building that popped up on the left side of the picture.

Not that it matters as i'm sure nothing substantial has happened over the last few days. but I estimate these aerials to be almost a full week out of date. The reason I say that is because of the looks of the steel structure in the aerial. On April 1, bioreconstruct posted a picture of the steel getting studs in preparation for a wall to go up.

C8WZbeuXsAEq6Af.jpg

If you click on the photo Alicia posted and zoom in to that area of the photo, it does not look like the studs have been put on the steel yet, which I would think would be at least slightly noticeable.

Not that it matters as i'm sure nothing substantial has happened over the last few days. but I estimate these aerials to be almost a full week out of date. The reason I say that is because of the looks of the steel structure in the aerial. On April 1, bioreconstruct posted a picture of the steel getting studs in preparation for a wall to go up.

C8WZbeuXsAEq6Af.jpg

If you click on the photo Alicia posted and zoom in to that area of the photo, it does not look like the studs have been put on the steel yet, which I would think would be at least slightly noticeable.
The post was posted today, not sure when the aerials were taken, but the video says April 4th.

Just finished up an update for DHS, so here's some video and photos, from ground level. (Sorry, no fancy chopper shots for me.)

Photo Highlights:

Yummy dirt pile berm separating Toy Story Land from Star Wars:
P1100338.jpg

Parts of the future entrance to SWL as seen from Pixar street:
P1100334.jpg

Wall separating what will be backstage area (Pixar street) from SWL:
P1100336.jpg

P1100337.jpg

Moving on to other side of park:
P1100347.jpg

Can't help but notice the sign for Writer's Stop still only covered, and doors boarded up, but everything still intact. This may survive the construction yet! Maybe:
P1100342.jpg

P1100343.jpg

Cranes, in their natural habitat, Orlando theme parks:
P1100353.jpg

While standing in Muppet courtyard you can now see clear across to Tower of Terror:
P1100377.jpg

Future entrance tunnel to Star Wars taking shape:
P1100380.jpg

P1100382.jpg

View from PizzeRizzo balcony:
P1100369-1.jpg

P1100373.jpg

P1100360.jpg

P1100355.jpg

Area near Muppet show exit still exactly the same:
02048.MTS_.Still003.jpg

The old Phineas and Ferb meet and greet still here, untouched:
02048.MTS_.Still004.jpg

World Drive parking entrance clearly visible from here:
02048.MTS_.Still006.jpg

New backstage building being added behind Star Wars land area:
02048.MTS_.Still007.jpg

This view should be blocked by battle attraction steel going up, but still clear:
02048.MTS_.Still008.jpg

That's all for now. More pics here.

That building should be the new cast entry and costuming.
If you are talking about the building in the last two pics, the building is nowhere near the new cast entrance building.

That building is in the area of Lights, Motors, Action! and will be a backstage building.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkridelover
Martin talked about what the plan is for the remaining SOA facade. Plan is to have walls partially down by July and fully by September. He also describes what they will look like:

They're repaniting the facades. Pale greens for Grand Lofts, brown and greys for Spring Flower Market (with purple awning for Spring Flower Market, green and red for Garcia Sisters) and brickwork and cream for Angeling Alterations. The storage sheds and trash compactor behind will remain in the backstage space. And they're adding a curved awning on the south west corner.

Walls should start to come down in July all being well with a completion end of September.

Similarly, Muppetvision will be held in the Grand Theatre. Expect the brickwork to be more prominent with vertical banners either side of the re designed entrance marquee and canopy.

Curved Awning being added (from bioreconstruct):
C85_C9lXcAAO4fX.jpg

1 of 2: Behind fence at end of Pixar Place. First is right. Second is left, for the Berm fans out there;

View attachment 4081 View attachment 4082
So I am curious if the back of the wall they're building on the left-side will be themed at all, or just a wall. The berm on the right will need to look good on both sides, as it will be seen from SWL and TSL... But the wall on the left will be facing the new backstage area created by the closing off of Pixar Place's dead end street. So, if it'll only be facing employees I wonder what it'll look like.

On the other side of that wall will be green hills with shops/meet and greets/photo ops etc for SWL, but on this side, where the pics are taken will be backstage.

Of course on the very very left side of this wall will be the tunnel entrance to SWL, near Muppets. I'm talking about the middle of the wall, before the dirt berm starts, facing Pixar Place.

Wow, I am literally nerding out about a dirt berm. What has my life become?

So I am curious if the back of the wall they're building on the left-side will be themed at all, or just a wall. The berm on the right will need to look good on both sides, as it will be seen from SWL and TSL... But the wall on the left will be facing the new backstage area created by the closing off of Pixar Place's dead end street. So, if it'll only be facing employees I wonder what it'll look like.

On the other side of that wall will be green hills with shops/meet and greets/photo ops etc for SWL, but on this side, where the pics are taken will be backstage.

Of course on the very very left side of this wall will be the tunnel entrance to SWL, near Muppets. I'm talking about the middle of the wall, before the dirt berm starts, facing Pixar Place.

Wow, I am literally nerding out about a dirt berm. What has my life become?
A sorry state, us theme park philosophers. :lol:

2 of 2: Behind fence by Sci-for Dine-in;
Left;
View attachment 4083
Right. Construction worker outside, will be waiting long time for customer inside Drugs Soda (Pharmacy?) to finally make up his mind and order :) Glad customer is still there
View attachment 4084
Hoping for a real nice hub-like courtyard here. Note the Writer's Stop windows looking good on far right of pic. That place is soooo opening back up when this courtyard is paved and ready.

Reactions: Coasted
From the location of those green pipes sticking out of the ground, is it starting to look like the backside of those Streets of America facades will be closed in with a continuation of the building? Blocking Muppets from Sci-Fi and Writer's Stop a little bit.

Reactions: Coasted
Gosh, Disney Horticulture sure does the big trees like they were planting petunias.

Anecdote... back after the Oceola parkway was expanded for AK and they were preparing to build the All Star resort, they prepped and moved a bunch of large oak trees from that location, trucking them down the parkway to the World of Sports parking lots. They had electric crews rotate all of the traffic lights and streetlights so that the trees could pass upright. Vast watering and misting systems were installed to keep the trees happy until they were moved and planted... at AK? ... I think.

Universal moved several large oaks in preparation for Hogsmeade and they are now located on either side of the wooden bridge slopes going to JP.

It's all quite something huh...