Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

It's not stupid if a person/family/group can't afford to stay onsite.

Well, if you're offsite, your only hope to ride, or perhaps even get in to SWGE, will be to do a night time hard ticket event. Your odds of riding during normal operations will be VERY slim.

I can see why they probably did this, which weighs heavily towards on site resorts. I've been checking to see room availability for Sept. Oct, just for curiosity's sake. Vacant rooms were widespread going into this announcement. Just about every onsite hotel had vacancies across the room spectrum. Since they made the announcement, room bookings have picked up. But, even now, most everything is still open. But, once word gets out that off site visitors will be in a disadvantageous position, I expect the rooms will finally fill up. I'm betting Disney didn't expect the room vacancies to linger so long after their initial announcement last month of the earlier than expected DHS opening, and came up with this concept to fill the 'unexpected' empty rooms.

I just hope they stick to their early November stated end for this "Extra, Extra" promotion... though I'm not holding my breath.

If it's still going on in January during my next trip, I will not be pleased about it.

I just hope they stick to their early November stated end for this "Extra, Extra" promotion... though I'm not holding my breath.

If it's still going on in January during my next trip, I will not be pleased about it.
Most on site hotels still have rooms available in November too, up to the beginning of Thanksgiving week. So it will be interesting to see if they have to spur those bookings too....I've been surprised that so many hotels still have rooms so close to this time. Generally when I book WDW, most all hotel rooms are booked prior to 6 months. This is puzzling that it's taking them so long to fill those rooms up. Maybe people are afraid of crowds or waiting for ROR.

It's not stupid if a person/family/group can't afford to stay onsite.

To go more in depth, I'm not an onsite stayer at all. I normally I'll never stay onsite again, barring a large pile of cash showing up.

However, if you are going to WDW this Fall, wanting to ride SR, or even step foot in SWGE, you're stupid to not stay onsite.

Yes, many can't afford it. But,if they stay offsite, and go to DHS, they will just spend money they maybe shouldn't spend, to get into a crazily packed theme park with the area they want to visit essentially off limits to them.

Hey all, so I have a question. I was planning to stay at Surfside Inn for HHN opening weekend, but I want to also take advantage of this extra extra magic hours to get into SWGE. If I stay in a resort Friday night only, would I be able to get in to the magic hours Saturday morning? Since you're technically not checked out till 11?

So they announced the Disneyland plan which I’m assuming will be the same for DHS for the 4 hour windows. As I thought, they will use colored wristbands similar to the ones used for special events and will limit access to the ride and cantina at a certain point. They will use stormtroopers to clear the land as necessary if people linger too long.

So they announced the Disneyland plan which I’m assuming will be the same for DHS for the 4 hour windows. As I thought, they will use colored wristbands similar to the ones used for special events and will limit access to the ride and cantina at a certain point. They will use stormtroopers to clear the land as necessary if people linger too long.
That's only for the first 30 days, which are reservation only.DHS isn't doing reservation, they're opening the park at 6:00 AM instead. ...So far, it appears DHS will more likely use the post 30 day Disney plan, namely virtual line if the land fills up.

The dirty little secret is that Disney World has too many on site resort guests to guarantee entree to galaxy's edge for those people alone in a given day so they do the extended extra magic hour thing every day. The orlando parks can now escape responsibility for guest satisfaction by as they often do blame the guest for not getting there earlier or paying more even though capacity is ultimitely fixed to a point. Disneyland actually has to manage capacity properly because their on site guests pay a higher premium or they just have an actual lack of physical space and need hours and rides to make up for it.

All Disney has to do is limit total park capacity and the over crowding problem ends. They will never do that I’m afraid. Hollywood Studios is already a small park, with the addition of GE I’m sure the total capacity is about to be raised, when it should probably be lowered.

Instead Disney chooses to raise prices to encourage less people, but that really doesn’t hamper demand in reality, and people end up just paying more to stand in an even longer line then before.

They picked August 29th as the opening date, which historically the last week of August is one of (if not the most) slowest of the year. I guess in an attempt to reduce the number of people affected who planned ahead before the announcement and trying to avoid mixing it with normal crowds anyway. It's still too small, and two rides that many thought would be ready for opening, won't be. (Rise and Railway)

Add the fact it's really hot that time of year and peak hurricane season, and you've got a potential for a real nightmare that week. Anyway I'm not going to be anywhere near there.

They picked August 29th as the opening date, which historically the last week of August is one of (if not the most) slowest of the year. I guess in an attempt to reduce the number of people affected who planned ahead before the announcement and trying to avoid mixing it with normal crowds anyway. It's still too small, and two rides that many thought would be ready for opening, won't be. (Rise and Railway)

Add the fact it's really hot that time of year and peak hurricane season, and you've got a potential for a real nightmare that week. Anyway I'm not going to be anywhere near there.
I'll be going after a few days, but just to hopefully get into the land and take it all in. If I get on Falcon that'll be a bonus.

Slow? That’s Labor Day Weekend. :lol:

Labor Day isn't as big a holiday weekend as it used to be since so many schools start back in August now. It's not slow, and never will be, but it's not nearly as crazy as it used to be since it's no longer everyone's last chance to do something before school starts again. Now those first 2 weeks of August are much busier instead...

Labor Day isn't as big a holiday weekend as it used to be since so many schools start back in August now. It's not slow, and never will be, but it's not nearly as crazy as it used to be since it's no longer everyone's last chance to do something before school starts again. Now those first 2 weeks of August are much busier instead...

Until you open up a hotly-anticipated, major IP land....

Until you open up a hotly-anticipated, major IP land....

There's always a possibility of it backfiring.

With how this is being hyped up, opening week sounds like hell and if everybody has the same thought that it will be too busy, they might put it off.

If people are also planning a one off trip have researched it, they may also wait until RotR opens.