Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
it really cannot

Right.. cuz killing Snoke, holding a plan back against Poe, nor excluding completely Rey's powerful use of the force and leaving Poe as a background character whose most important line was a prank call to General Hux definitely dont fall under your categorization of a lack of direction which the Force Awakens set up so well... give me a break lol

Right.. cuz killing Snoke, holding a plan back against Poe, nor excluding completely Rey's powerful use of the force and leaving Poe as a background character whose most important line was a prank call to General Hux definitely dont fall under your categorization of a lack of direction which the Force Awakens set up so well... give me a break lol

nothing that happens in TLJ contradicts TFA.

no more than Empire contradicts Star Wars

Reactions: imagin78
Ok I’m out...spoilers be coming out like everyone knows what characters are even in it.
I’ll report my thoughts on Saturday. I can say all my personal friends that saw it tonight loved it. So feeling pretty good.

Id also like to agree with what Jungle Skip was saying. The Prequels were not only bad Star Wars movies, they were bad movies in general. Script, acting, pacing, all terrible. Even the special effects look bad these days. Best two parts of the prequel trilogy was the duel of fates with Maul and the final lightsaber battle between Anakin and Obiwan. Everything else I could completely forget about, and be happy.

PS - the bouncing ball Yoda saber fight maybe the worse part of the entire prequel trilogy.

Reactions: Nick
I find the new trilogy boring and uninteresting because there’s nothing new, I just watched Episode 1 and now I’m streaming 2, the prequels are a breath of fresh air :)

Now I want to be fair here: I know there are some people who actually may have enjoyed the movie, and that's great. I'm glad you were able to see it.

But now you hopefully understand my frustrations here for those who saw or are fully aware of the spoilers. This whole trilogy was milktoast, bland, uninteresting, and a HUGE missed opportunity. I may or may not see it out of curiosity, but for now, I refuse to give them my money and support this.

I've sat on it and I just hate it even more lol. It's a good movie for mindless fun, but man... So many plot holes, almost nothing is explained, a ton of retconning, and just way too safe. The cast and these characters deserved way more. I really miss how gorgeous TLJ was too.
'

this new movie literally proves that The Last Jedi was not a good continuation to force awakens, it literally proves JJ'S plot points were ruined by The Last Jedi
whether or not it was a "good movie", it definitely was not a good continuation of force force awakens' plot points, Snoke was obviously set up as the big baddie, rey's background was set up as important, luke was treated terribly in The Last Jedi

This is insane. The prequels are terrible. They’re not even functioning movies.

nah. TLJ was none of those things. And TFAs was a bit of a rehash, but it was still a ton of fun.
Disney just panicked and buckled to the wrong people with this one.

New, horrible content, sure

I seriously doubt that. Revenge of the Sith (and all the prequels) have laughable direction and High School play level acting

why are the prequels terrible but The Last Jedi wasnt? how can that be possible? is it just because of the cgi and acting?

Id also like to agree with what Jungle Skip was saying. The Prequels were not only bad Star Wars movies, they were bad movies in general. Script, acting, pacing, all terrible. Even the special effects look bad these days. Best two parts of the prequel trilogy was the duel of fates with Maul and the final lightsaber battle between Anakin and Obiwan. Everything else I could completely forget about, and be happy.

PS - the bouncing ball Yoda saber fight maybe the worse part of the entire prequel trilogy.

and yet they have higher rotten tomatoes scores than rise of skywalker lol

Reactions: tankart150
OK so.....

Before getting into any real discussion... I think I'm good with giving this a 3.5/5, which is the same score I gave the Last Jedi.

SPOILERS YE BE WARNED:

Where do I even begin? :lol:

The film was very entertaining, despite the big flaws it has. I'm not going to pretend to know any of the behind-the-scenes rumors on the making of the new trilogy - but it's now very clear there wasn't any clear plan on how to make the trilogy connect naturally. Hate TLJ all you want, but it happened and they gotta roll with it. RoS spends a lot of time trying to make sure it avoided any kind of TLJ fallout that it affected this one. I don't wanna say it undoes it, but they definitely ignore it.

Despite what a majority may say, Rey was always going to be somebody "special". They play that angle up too big in the TFA for it to not be in the plans. I just don't think they had a solid idea of what the linage was going to be, which is why the Palpatine crap doesn't sit well and lands awkwardly. It also seems weird considering what we know of Palpatine, too (No mention of a son or family, WTF was the purpose of the *implied* creation of Anakin).

Palpatine being the driving force for it all was sorta eye-rolling for me but whatever. AND we at least we got an answer as to who Snoke was, as corny as it turned out to be. Like, OK I can roll with it, but screams very fan-fictiony. Still, McDiarmid continues the excellent portrayal of him, and his look in this film was awesome.

I really liked Finn and Poe in this film, even though they didn't really have a strong arc. As someone that was lukewarm on Finn the past 2 films, I really thought Finn was a stronger point in this film. Newcomers Janna and Zorra were awesome in the little screentime they had, wish they had more.

Kylo Ren's redemption did not sit well with me at all. Considering the route his character took in TFA and TLJ.... he was too far gone and did too many evil things for it to work, IMO. I get why Leia would continue that pursuit because "Mom" - but not Rey.

In true JJ fashion, they also left some questions unanswered (how did Maz get Luke's lightsaber, Finn's apparent love confession to Rey, why did Luke's lightsaber call out to Rey)

As far as the other positives, it's definitely a Star Wars film - and it was great to see everyone together as a team (Dunno why it took 2 movies, though...). You still can't help but get giddy at some of the action scenes and certain story beats, aided by Williams' score, which shines again. The nostalgia drug was strong, too; with some good payoffs for other characters (especially Chewie). I liked that it was Leia that became Rey's Master to finish her training. It was nice to see the Knights of Ren finally, but they were very underwhelming.

Ultimately, I think as a trilogy, 7-9 failed. They're all good movies individually, each with different flaws - but I really do feel the lack of cohesive creative minds really hampered the storytelling to tell a coherent trilogy arc. Their biggest mistake was not having the same people behind all 3 films, or at least brought on somebody with a stronger writing pedigree for Ep 9 since they were already stuck in a corner.

BUT what's done is done. The film is satisfying enough, but the flaws are too big to ignore to really stick the landing.

PS - Rise of the Resistance now has a Supercharged problem....

Last edited:
OK so.....

Before getting into any real discussion... I think I'm good with giving this a 3.5/5, which is the same score I gave the Last Jedi.

SPOILERS YE BE WARNED:

Where do I even begin? :lol:

The film was very entertaining, despite the big flaws it has. I'm not going to pretend to know any of the behind-the-scenes rumors on the making of the new trilogy - but it's now very clear there wasn't any clear plan on how to make the trilogy connect naturally. Hate TLJ all you want, but it happened and they gotta roll with it. RoS spends a lot of time trying to make sure it avoided any kind of TLJ fallout that it affected this one. I don't wanna say it undoes it, but they definitely ignore it.

Despite what a majority may say, Rey was always going to be somebody "special". They play that angle up too big in the TFA for it to not be in the plans. I just don't think they had a solid idea of what the linage was going to be, which is why the Palpatine crap doesn't sit well and lands awkwardly. It also seems weird considering what we know of Palpatine, too (No mention of a son or family, WTF was the purpose of the *implied* creation of Anakin).

Palpatine being the driving force for it all was sorta eye-rolling for me but whatever. AND we at least we got an answer as to who Snoke was, as corny as it turned out to be. Like, OK I can roll with it, but screams very fan-fictiony. Still, McDiarmid continues the excellent portrayal of him, and his look in this film was awesome.

I really liked Finn and Poe in this film, even though they didn't really have a strong arc. As someone that was lukewarm on Finn the past 2 films, I really thought Finn was a stronger point in this film. Newcomers Janna and Zorra were awesome in the little screentime they had, wish they had more.

Kylo Ren's redemption did not sit well with me at all. Considering the route his character took in TFA and TLJ.... he was too far gone and did too many evil things for it to work, IMO. I get why Leia would continue that pursuit because "Mom" - but not Rey.

In true JJ fashion, they also left some questions unanswered (how did Maz get Luke's lightsaber, Finn's apparent love confession to Rey, why did Luke's lightsaber call out to Rey)

As far as the other positives, it's definitely a Star Wars film - and it was great to see everyone together as a team (Dunno why it took 2 movies, though...). You still can't help but get giddy at some of the action scenes and certain story beats, aided by Williams' score, which shines again. The nostalgia drug was strong, too; with some good payoffs for other characters (especially Chewie). I liked that it was Leia that became Rey's Master to finish her training. It was nice to see the Knights of Ren finally, but they were very underwhelming.

Ultimately, I think as a trilogy, 7-9 failed. They're all good movies individually, each with different flaws - but I really do feel the lack of cohesive creative minds really hampered the storytelling to tell a coherent trilogy arc. Their biggest mistake was not having the same people behind all 3 films, or at least brought on somebody with a stronger writing pedigree for Ep 9 since they were already stuck in a corner.

BUT what's done is done. The film is satisfying enough, but the flaws are too big to ignore to really stick the landing.

PS - Rise of the Resistance now has a Supercharged problem....

:wow:

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. Some was good, some was bad, some were too obviously fan fiction or retreads. But it seemed to be running on a checklist to make sure each point was hit. The one truly surprise cameo was ..... weird.

Okay I saw the movie and thought it was alright. Much much better than TLJ (which I thought was complete trash). I put this on par with TFA. This is my opinion and that’s it. I’ll probably watch it again and see if my thoughts change but it’s okay from my first viewing.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Just saw the movie. It was a thing that happened. Not bad, not great. Just an ok ending to a passable trilogy.

I thought there were some great character moments, but the film also got WAY too fan service-y at times. It was also pretty predictable and took unnecessary detours. I think having to work around Leia with old footage really bogged down the film at times.

character spoilers:
- Finn was annoying.
- Lando served little point.
- Why was Han there in a “dream” sequence but talking to him as if it was reall time?
- Hux saying “I’m the spy!” Was laughably terrible writing and also strangely changes the way I look at RotR.
- Kylo/Ben and Rey’s chemistry is the best thing about this movie and trilogy.
- lol Rose
- Why did Finn seem to think he could use the force?

I leave this movie with a lot of questions still. JJ doesn’t know how to close. I’m sort of in between on if this should get 3 or 3.5/5 so I just split the difference.

3.25/5

Last edited:
Honestly after thinking about it more I’d give this like a 2.5/5. Felt really redundant and spent a lot of time backtracking TLJ, plus some scenes just dragged on for way too long.

So far the audience score is double that of TLJ despite TLJ having a high critic rating and ROS below 60%. While it's funny that it seems critics and Star Wars fans seem to want totally different things out of a movie, I think i'm closer to most of the critics on this one than this audience score. We'll see if it can maintain that score.

DrELLiC.png

eA32Bxd.png