Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

If it does or doesn't... it should never even have been a thing. :lol:
Of course. If they made a good movie, more people would’ve gone to see it multiple times. This is the first Disney Star Wars movie I only saw in theaters once.

However, it still has made $495M domestically. Looking at it without bias, that’s a lot of money and just outside of the Top 10.

Star Wars’ real problem is the lack of appeal overseas. A few years ago, Fast 8 came out and only made $226M domestic. It made over $1Bn Internationally though, so the movie was a huge success at over $1.2B WW. If Star Wars were to capture the international audiences like they do American than they would make ridiculous sums of money.

Also, let’s not pretend $1B+ WW is some small amount of money. Only recently did billion dollar movies become semi-common. And even so, hundreds of movies are released each year with only a few that break that ceiling.

Of course. If they made a good movie, more people would’ve gone to see it multiple times. This is the first Disney Star Wars movie I only saw in theaters once.

However, it still has made $495M domestically. Looking at it without bias, that’s a lot of money and just outside of the Top 10.

Star Wars’ real problem is the lack of appeal overseas. A few years ago, Fast 8 came out and only made $226M domestic. It made over $1Bn Internationally though, so the movie was a huge success at over $1.2B WW. If Star Wars were to capture the international audiences like they do American than they would make ridiculous sums of money.

Also, let’s not pretend $1B+ WW is some small amount of money. Only recently did billion dollar movies become semi-common. And even so, hundreds of movies are released each year with only a few that break that ceiling.

Oh yea, of course. But it's Star Wars. You know how that goes. A billion is great. For a Star Wars finale....it's not.

Oh yea, of course. But it's Star Wars. You know how that goes. A billion is great. For a Star Wars finale....it's not.
If it was a better movie it would’ve made more for sure, but tbh, I don’t think this movie was ever going to do crazy numbers worldwide.

If anything in the Skywalker Saga was consistent, it’s that every trilogy made the most in the first movie of the trilogy and then tapered off in each of the following two movies. Star Wars tends to lose the general public as their trilogies progress.

If it was a better movie it would’ve made more for sure, but tbh, I don’t think this movie was ever going to do crazy numbers worldwide.

If anything in the Skywalker Saga was consistent, it’s that every trilogy made the most in the first movie of the trilogy and then tapered off in each of the following two movies. Star Wars tends to lose the general public as their trilogies progress.
Disney is gifted enough with marketing that they might’ve had a chance to overcome that.

I think the reviews did it in and I don’t think the Mandolorean helped. People heard RoS was bad, Mandolorean was good, and figured they could just wait until RoS hit the then-brand-new Disney+

Not sure how much this is affecting the box office numbers, but I never went back to the theatre to see this. I was too young to see the prequels in a theatre, so my only movie theatre going experience with Star Wars has been the Disney ones. Ive seen every film at least twice, including Solo, but did not make a return trip to this one. I know exactly 6 other fiends who did not make a return trip.

Now of course, I'm polling an incredibly small group of people but Im not finding online that the community is catching this film much more than once. Id think that's having some box office effect. Maybe not in the hundreds of millions, but its a loss for sure.

Not sure how much this is affecting the box office numbers, but I never went back to the theatre to see this. I was too young to see the prequels in a theatre, so my only movie theatre going experience with Star Wars has been the Disney ones. Ive seen every film at least twice, including Solo, but did not make a return trip to this one. I know exactly 6 other fiends who did not make a return trip.

Now of course, I'm polling an incredibly small group of people but Im not finding online that the community is catching this film much more than once. Id think that's having some box office effect. Maybe not in the hundreds of millions, but its a loss for sure.
I'm in the same position in that i've seen all Disney Star Wars movies at least twice until this movie. I think that another factor is Disney+. Maybe not in any large way, but enough to make an impact. People who wanted to do a "boycott" or (like some in my family) who just weren't interested enough - will just wait until it hits the streaming service and watch it there.

I'm in the same position in that i've seen all Disney Star Wars movies at least twice until this movie. I think that another factor is Disney+. Maybe not in any large way, but enough to make an impact. People who wanted to do a "boycott" or (like some in my family) who just weren't interested enough - will just wait until it hits the streaming service and watch it there.
Ya that could be true as well. That’s certainly how I feel about their live action re-makes, no need to see them in a theatre for me

I ended up renting the film during #quarantini. Refused to see it in theaters... Everything I heard about it just sounded awful.

Sad to say, It was like watching a never-ending facepalm of unsatisfying cliches.

There was so much material JJA laid out in TFA that just got ejected in TLJ. Was shoved back into TROS, but was aptly discarded once again. For continuity's sake, TLJ is the odd man out, but I'm left (albeit VERY begrudgingly) having to admit TLJ, for all it was, was a better film than Rise. Rise feels like its trying so hard to be "Big" it missed out on all the subtleties that make "big" films big and really, had nowhere to go after TLJ.

Out of this Trilogy, the only film I thoroughly enjoyed is The Force Awakens. Oh well.