State of UOAP & General Theme Park Fandom | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

State of UOAP & General Theme Park Fandom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What do you guys think about people bringing gifts to actors in the shows or scareactors? Is that a nice harmless gesture of appreciation? Or does it cross a line?
Are you talking about duck lady here? That's perfectly harmless and there's no interaction with her besides the gift being exchanged.

If things go farther than that though, yes, it's weird.

I think Bill and Ted and a few select other things to me seem to rise above the traditional theme park show. I appreciate that Universal allows to a small degree for these actors in some of these cases to be acknowledged in a more traditional way. I think my point is they seem to be able to see it for what it is and ease up on the traditional theme park approach when it doesn't quite fi as well. It is something that should be approached on a case by case basis and they've done a pretty decent job of it. I absolutely love theming especially immersive theming, but it can be taken too far in some cases.

Totally agree with this! I think that was part of what I was trying to point out is this behavior exist just as much, even more so outside of theme parks as well.

Yep. Funny side story I got a real nice looking card with a red and gold Asian design from a wedding party once. Didn't think anything of it and put it on my refrigerator. A couple years later I was moving and took it off and was probably about to throw it away and realized there was cash inside. It was a tip and I never realized it!

Lol how much was it

Are you talking about duck lady here? That's perfectly harmless and there's no interaction with her besides the gift being exchanged.

If things go farther than that though, yes, it's weird.

Not the duck lady, i dont know of the duck lady, this year i saw people bringing stuff to different parts of the park, trick r treat got couple different things from what i saw on fb. I did see academy of villains get some stuff once, people brought stuff to bill and ted.
I think someone wanted to bring little skulls for the festival zone but dont know if they did.
I personally thought it looked like nice thank you gifts but i was curious of what u guys thought in general.

Not the duck lady, i dont know of the duck lady, this year i saw people bringing stuff to different parts of the park, trick r treat got couple different things from what i saw on fb. I did see academy of villains get some stuff once, people brought stuff to bill and ted.
I think someone wanted to bring little skulls for the festival zone but dont know if they did.
I personally thought it looked like nice thank you gifts but i was curious of what u guys thought in general.
Bringing little things is fine, but like I said, anything beyond that is really pushing it.

Scareactors talk in the break rooms and if someone is getting a little on the creepy/uncomfortable side, it gets reported many times.

Small things are fine imo, it was more so the stalking or Matt and constantly tagging are you here? Are you here? I never get to meet you! That’s creepy.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Bringing little things is fine, but like I said, anything beyond that is really pushing it.

Scareactors talk in the break rooms and if someone is getting a little on the creepy/uncomfortable side, it gets reported many times.

What do people do that is creepy? Stuff like Sit in the chairs by the sides of the zones? I always notice people do that a lot.

Well there’s this one lady who gives everyone she runs into a little cross.

That’s annoying.
Maybe some find it annoying, some scareactors have fun with that though. In my years we actually took some of the crosses and added them as a part of the houses. That's not over the top though or something i'd consider to be too bad.

If you're in a house though, you don't get it too bad. It's when you're on the streets that people start to become obsessive over your performance. They'll wait, specifically for your cast to come out to see you or someone else. They're FFP holders so they're at HHN often. This is the vast minority, but they are the type to seek out minimum wage scareactors real names on facebook. I know it's happened to me.

Reactions: TDBLMT
If you're in a house though, you don't get it too bad. It's when you're on the streets that people start to become obsessive over your performance. They'll wait, specifically for your cast to come out to see you or someone else. They're FFP holders so they're at HHN often. This is the vast minority, but they are the type to seek out minimum wage scareactors real names on facebook. I know it's happened to me.
It happens a lot, actually. Random guests start seeking out the real names of scareactors then year after year start pleading for their location the moment auditions are over so they can “see them again.”

A lot of people would call all of us who post on this forum crazy obsessed too.
There’s definite degrees. My concern isn’t passionate fans; it’s obsessive ones. There’s a clear difference.

There’s definite degrees. My concern isn’t passionate fans; it’s obsessive ones. There’s a clear difference.

While the thread has settled on discussions of actors/performers and the “fandom” it also relates to how the ”fandom” treats itself too. Drama, pissing contests over who’s more a fan, creepy voyeur photos of The Trackers in the parks, etc.

It happens a lot, actually. Random guests start seeking out the real names of scareactors then year after year start pleading for their location the moment auditions are over so they can “see them again.”
Well yeah, it happens a lot, but I meant in the grand scheme of overall attendees, it's just a few rotten apples in the field. Depending on who you are, some scareactors at least like knowing what "overly obsessed fanboy" is going to do on a given night. The drunks you can't really prepare for. You know they're there, but you don't know what they're going to do.

Of course, it would make it a lot easier if "overly obsessed fanboy" was removed from the equation. No need to obsess over random scareactors that you don't even personally know and have never seen out of costume.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
It’s very subjective though. For some people discussing theme parks on a discussion forum is very clearly obsessive. I will admit there are people I won’t discuss my hobby of discussing theme parks online especially in a professional setting because I know I would be viewed differently and considered obsessive. I’ve also worked with plenty of people in theme parks who view online discussion forums as crossing the line in the fandom and view it as a negative disruptive thing to the overall experience. We all draw the line somewhere and for many people that line is in very different places.

Reactions: JoeCamel
It’s very subjective though. For some people discussing theme parks on a discussion forum is very clearly obsessive. I will admit there are people I won’t discuss my hobby of discussing theme parks online especially in a professional setting because I know I would be viewed differently and considered obsessive. I’ve also worked with plenty of people in theme parks who view online discussion forums as crossing the line in the fandom and view it as a negative disruptive thing to the overall experience. We all draw the line somewhere and for many people that line is in very different places.

Yo one is stalking people and taking photos and thinking they’re friends the other is talking online about a hobby. How can you not see a difference?

Yo one is stalking people and taking photos and thinking they’re friends the other is talking online about a hobby. How can you not see a difference?
Oh I see the difference just fine. I’m just saying there are people who see all of this as crazy obsessive. I mean think about how many times we’ve taken aerial photos and examined every detail, drawn out our own maps of how we think things are going to happen, scoured county and public sites for permits etc. It’s easy to see yourself as normal and others as crazy, but it’s important to occasionally take a step back and get some perspective. Like I said previously, as long as someone isn’t crossing a line of what’s inappropriate I may cringe a little but I try to let people have fun their own way.

While the thread has settled on discussions of actors/performers and the “fandom” it also relates to how the ”fandom” treats itself too. Drama, pissing contests over who’s more a fan, creepy voyeur photos of The Trackers in the parks, etc.

I feel like these two things address similar concerns. While there is a (admittedly) subjective line within the fandom, there is still an obvious line that is too far.

To my own detriment, I know far more about the history of Halloween Horror Nights than I should. It could be considered obsessive, especially considering I still follow the event without actually having a desire to attend the event. Hand to god. I'm aware of it within myself. I don't discuss it at work, and I rarely discuss it at home, because I know no one else will care. It is what it is. I also don't discuss soccer with anyone else at work, because no one in my office actually talks about sports. It's a quiet, peculiar place.

That said, there are people who are bigger fans than me. But you can be a massive fan without being creepy or obsessive about individual people. That's more where I view the line. Obsession of a property in general is one thing. Operating with some belief that a person you don't actually know is your best friend or owes you anything takes it too far.

Oh I see the difference just fine. I’m just saying there are people who see all of this as crazy obsessive. I mean think about how many times we’ve taken aerial photos and examined every detail, drawn out our own maps of how we think things are going to happen, scoured county and public sites for permits etc. It’s easy to see yourself as normal and others as crazy, but it’s important to occasionally take a step back and get some perspective. Like I said previously, as long as someone isn’t crossing a line of what’s inappropriate I may cringe a little but I try to let people have fun their own way.

Hell my wife rolls her eyes when she sees me on a board and thats without her paying attention that I look up permits, do drawings of mock parks, and other stuff thats considered normal on here. I think she'd bitch me out if she knew how much I was into this side of it. If I were to start stalking actors or giving them gifts, it would be a straight up divorce. As it should be.

Reactions: s8film40
Hell my wife rolls her eyes when she sees me on a board and thats without her paying attention that I look up permits, do drawings of mock parks, and other stuff thats considered normal on here. I think she'd bitch me out if she knew how much I was into this side of it. If I were to start stalking actors or giving them gifts, it would be a straight up divorce. As it should be.

I believe this is totally besides the point; this isn’t about others thinking the time and energy we put into our passion is too much it’s about toxic fandom. Let’s not dilute this and play “both sides” here.

I believe this is totally besides the point; this isn’t about others thinking the time and energy we put into our passion is too much it’s about toxic fandom. Let’s not dilute this and play “both sides” here.
I think some people would consider the fandom we participate in here "toxic". It does indeed have an impact on the experience in the park as the parks do have to go a little further out of their way to keep things under wraps that aren't quite ready to be revealed.

When it comes to interactions with performers which is what most here are considering "toxic" where is the line? Much of what's been discussed here is in reality totally harmless. In fact many times these interactions are invited and encouraged by the performers themselves. Personally I try to keep things at showing my appreciation for their work and not taking it too much further, at the same time while I may not like to see things taken further is it really a problem if both parties are happy and it doesn't interfere with the "show"? Is a fan following a performer on Twitter or FB too far? Is a fan "meeting up" with a performer outside of the parks too far? There's really a whole lot of grey area here and to me personally as long as someone isn't breaking the rules of the park and engaging with a performer in a way that is unwanted I may not personally agree with it but I wouldn't exactly call it toxic and if everyone's happy then I don't see anything too wrong with it.