Studio Tour - Tour Guides | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour - Tour Guides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Thought it might be nice to have a thread to keep track of the guides we've had.

I'll start:

IMG_3726 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Had him today. Forgot his name, but I've had him many times in the past. Always a great guide.

Side track: The new fisheye cameras are a bit of an odd choice, don't you think? And are any of the guides planning to use the guest-facing camera in the first car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread! I've had some fantastic and crappy guides throughout the years! Wish I could remember their names. Awesome seeing quite a few actors be tour guides. My frequent middle school substitute teacher was a toue guide for a long time. And my 10th grade English teacher was a tour guide from the mid to late 80s right before the BTTF ride.

And Jon, he's great, I've had him so many times. Unless I'm mistaken, isn't he that tour guide who also is the "voice" of a lot of the in park announcements, etc?

When I met the park voice guy I swear to you he introduced himself as Richard. =/ I'm either thinking of the wrong guy, or he has a fake name! =P

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm right and his name IS Richard. In the introduction he says "I'm your guide Rick, Chris is our driver"

Reactions: Jon Fu
I stand corrected.

He always does seem to stand out whenever I get him as a guide. I wonder if he does voice work on the side.

Loads of times I've had him he's REALLY phoned it, which was beyond sad. But yeah, I've had some fantastic guides. My favorites are the ones who go off script and give extra info, and go on camera to dance or do wacky stuff. Always fun.

Loads of times I've had him he's REALLY phoned it, which was beyond sad. But yeah, I've had some fantastic guides. My favorites are the ones who go off script and give extra info, and go on camera to dance or do wacky stuff. Always fun.
He's been there for quite a while, so I can't really blame him. I'd probably do the same thing.

But yeah, I've had my fair share of tours where I've unintentionally slept. Not sure it has anything to do with the guide though. LOL.

Is it bad that sometimes I go on the tour just for a relaxing place to sit for an hour and browse the net on my phone? Granted every now and they give you something to look at, but occasionally I'll just zone out, and then realize I totally missed Jaws.  :lol:
Have to admit - the tour is the only place in the park I can get decent internet access. But you're not alone.

Quite honestly, being in the tram is one of the quietest places in the entire park. I'll still look at Jaws and Earthquake, but everything else I sort of zone out. I'm only surprised if we go through a unique route or take a special detour. Everything beyond that is completely gone. Hell, I've even caught myself slumping towards the edge of the tram after Earthquake and only then being awoken by Jaws.

Reactions: BernardMesa
This may be a weird question but have you guys rode the studio Tour alone? I get this akward lonely feeling whenever I go into rides or shows. Im fine with the lower lot rides as they have single rider lanes down there. But for shows and rides that don't have them I feel akward being alone =p. Sorry sometimes I get a little insecure. I remember getting over this problem once when I went to go see waterworld alone.

Reactions: Jon Fu
This may be a weird question but have you guys rode the studio Tour alone? I get this akward lonely feeling whenever I go into rides or shows. Im fine with the lower lot rides as they have single rider lanes down there. But for shows and rides that don't have them I feel akward being alone =p. Sorry sometimes I get a little insecure. I remember getting over this problem once when I went to go see waterworld alone.
I actually have the same feeling, but I typically do fine in shows and the Studio Tour. I usually don't go on rides alone, and this normally includes the entire Lower Lot.

Studio Tour is unusual in that I can simply walk on without feeling insecure. No one exactly calls you out when you're there alone. The rides, on the other hand, do (and this is without single-rider). Plus, I usually have camera equipment, and I'm usually too lazy to use the lockers.

I got over being shy going alone because for a couple years, that's all I could do on many trips to Universal. So I'm used to it lol
I'm used to it too up until a certain extent. Theme parks in general aren't a very comfortable place if you're alone at times - at least in my experience.

^ I agree. Not always, but I definitely agree. And it is especially very zen at USH for me compared to Disneyland. USH helps me collect myself.

(Except when I walk by the Simpsons, that makes me wanna turn into the Hulk ;) )

You guys are braver than me. I went to Disney alone but that was only when i worked there and could visit coworkers on duty. I've been to universal alone one time only because I've got some pretty serious social anxiety and it makes me feel really uncomfortable being solo. Funny thing is we use the single rider lines on mummy and Trans anyway just because we hate waiting.