Studio Tour | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
We're getting reports today that King Kong 360 - 3D (confirmed) is currently closed due to a tram fire (unconfirmed).

More news as we get it.

So, was this the tram engine fire that you guys reported on Facebook or is this separate? Universal's fire insurance must be nuts lol i hope everyone/the ride is ok
I don't think so. :p The engine didn't catch on fire, it was smoke coming out of the engine. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
I don't think so. :p The engine didn't catch on fire, it was smoke coming out of the engine. Fortunately no one was hurt.
The smoke was a result of the engine block catching on fire. One kinda causes the other.

Earthquake - The Big One will be closed for refurbishment from February 19 - March 16, 2013.
Well damn. That's my favorite part of the tour now. =/ Then again, I haven't gone on the tour in months.

Regardless, I have to give major props to the original attraction designers. From what I've experienced, Earthquake is incredibly reliable for what it is. Imagine large scale mechanical effects like that running 14+ hours a day, running non-stop for the better half of the entire year. Impressive.

I wonder how they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BruceTheShark
I think it would be awesome to have some kind of behind the scenes tour of the theme park aspects. I know they have had one for Revenge of the Mummy in the past.

Yeah,,they've had it for the mummy. I'd LOVE to go on a behind the scenes tour of all the rides, etc. This sounds crazy, but if there's a "safe" spot in earthquake, I'd love to stand and watch all the effects. It's my current favorite part of the tour, it really impresses me. I completely agree with what you said Jon. I love having practical effects in front of me. It's so much better than 360 3D

Regardless, I have to give major props to the original attraction designers. From what I've experienced, Earthquake is incredibly reliable for what it is. Imagine large scale mechanical effects like that running 14+ hours a day, running non-stop for the better half of the entire year. Impressive.

I wonder how they do it.
This is what I loved about the old "Cinemagic" videos. Getting to see all these classic practical FX attractions being built. The designers of these attractions were one of a kind. "I wonder how they do it" is why I love Universal so much. It gave me that sneak peak of how movies and effects were made in my early years of visiting the park.

I've always thought/joked that one day in the future we'll get an "ultimate" attraction. Meaning: One building where the theme can change with the push of a button and it acts as several different rides. For example at 2pm you can ride Transformers, come back at 3pm and experience Back to the Future.

Reactions: BernardMesa
What do people think of adding an additional attraction to the end of the mummy tunnel? The mummy tunnel can be a portal to what the new attraction will be. I have no specific idea of a property but I think it could be possible. Their is lots of space that could be used there.