Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion) | Page 252 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For those who don't understand how people can be unhappy with the MK ride, ask yourself if you ever complained about the Fast and Furious Ride not being fast.
Here’s the thing: if you opened up a MK ride the way the people claim they would’ve wanted it (Likely as a RSR kind of ride), it would be really, really difficult to pull off the interactivity, which plays a very big part in MK. It probably would’ve been a hair more well-received, but I’m sure there would still be a lot of complaints about not being able to steer the car or shoot a lot of turtle shells.

I have a theory that the GP may be dissing this this ride partly because there is a severe lack of thrill rides at USH and people are starved for some sort of thrill ride at the park. If USH had a lot of roller coasters like Florida does, I’m convinced the ride would’ve been received better. That Fast and Furious coaster could not be coming at a better time. USH needs that coaster.

Like I said previously, they can always jazz up the drifting and spinning effects a little bit. It would at least help with the complaints that the ride is “too slow”. Even my biggest complaint with the ride for me was how “eh” the movement was. It won’t hurt them to make the spin a little stronger.

I mean the MK ride has been getting negative reception since it opened in Japan befire most people rode it

as someone who knows Nintendo, I knew day one it would be a dark ride because they want games kids and parents can both enjoy with a few exceptions.

also if the ride was Luke web slingers or buzz I’d get it. This is an e ticket dark ride that literally lets you see 8ish Mario kart courses in 3D with great details and great looking anamatorics. Along with the game being fun, there are hidden question boxes to find and one other secret if not more in each area.

could it have been like cars racers? Sure but then less kids and older people get to ride it, the land is based on interactions and would be harder to implement, and most Universal parks just don’t have the land to add another coaster (especially if it’s not going to be a big thrill) and here at USH since we didn’t get a Yoshi ride that didn’t really help, so MK was trying to please everyone and honestly think it does. I highly doubt most people won’t go or recommend it because it’s not a coaster they will warn people to set fair expectations.
Plus we are getting two great coasters soon…I really don’t understand the why every ride must be a coaster

go to other parks or wait 3 years if thrills are all you care about, they are not hard to find in Southern California

Honest question (haven’t physically ridden either ride)…how is it NOT like Web Slingers?

-Slow-moving dark ride: check
-Targets that are projected media: check
-Upcharge for better interactivity: check

The ride does look great but it doesn’t even look close to an “E-ticket experience” IMO. This is the kind of lesser ride fans have been clamoring for to round out Universal’s offerings…not serve as the anchor of a land 8 years in the making based on a world-renowned IP.

are there any relative specifics that can be elaborated on here?
AFAIK - elements looking cheap within the land, much of the land having public softs without finished areas, and certain elements being lacking have been criticized by the folks at NoA.

Based on “Mr. Bowser,” I’m assuming the posse is Nintendo of America?
Correct.

One thing to consider as well as far as MK goes - to the GP, it's another screen based ride.

Here’s the thing: if you opened up a MK ride the way the people claim they would’ve wanted it (Likely as a RSR kind of ride), it would be really, really difficult to pull off the interactivity, which plays a very big part in MK. It probably would’ve been a hair more well-received, but I’m sure there would still be a lot of complaints about not being able to steer the car or shoot a lot of turtle shells.

I have a theory that the GP may be dissing this this ride partly because there is a severe lack of thrill rides at USH and people are starved for some sort of thrill ride at the park. If USH had a lot of roller coasters like Florida does, I’m convinced the ride would’ve been received better. That Fast and Furious coaster could not be coming at a better time. USH needs that coaster.

Like I said previously, they can always jazz up the drifting and spinning effects a little bit. It would at least help with the complaints that the ride is “too slow”. Even my biggest complaint with the ride for me was how “eh” the movement was. It won’t hurt them to make the spin a little stronger.

I’ve always maintained that the issue is not that they didn’t build a fast ride, the issue is they used an IP that has specific expectations.

All they needed to do was build a Mario Adventure attraction. Base it off Odyssey. Base it off Mario 64. Base it off all the above and go through various eras.

Create some fun interactive bits with coins, throw Cappy at baddies. Give us full AA’s of the characters, especially Bowser.

AFAIK - elements looking cheap within the land, much of the land having public softs without finished areas, and certain elements being lacking have been criticized by the folks at NoA.
I wonder if the seams in the backdrop panels were one of them. If they're getting pushback on that from the big N, I wonder if they might be pressured to fix those.

My question is… wasn’t NoA involved in some way? Did they not have final say on quality control?

I think they were able to get away with it as the premonition was the materials and infrastructure would be a carbon copy of what is found in Japan.

Reactions: BriefCasey
I’ve always maintained that the issue is not that they didn’t build a fast ride, the issue is they used an IP that has specific expectations.

All they needed to do was build a Mario Adventure attraction. Base it off Odyssey. Base it off Mario 64. Base it off all the above and go through various eras.

Create some fun interactive bits with coins, throw Cappy at baddies. Give us full AA’s of the characters, especially Bowser.
No, Mario Kart was the perfect property to adapt for a ride. Absolute no-brainer, and it’s because of those specific expectations. You don’t have to invent or reverse-engineer anything — just sit in kart and go. IMO, they completely overthought this ride.

I don’t think it necessarily fails to deliver on its premise (for the ride that it’s trying to be, it’s probably the best one out there) but no amount of virtual reality can make up for visceral feeling, so the end result here is a high tech marvel that only occasionally feels like a “ride”.

No, Mario Kart was the perfect property to adapt for a ride. Absolute no-brainer, and it’s because of those specific expectations. You don’t have to invent or reverse-engineer anything — just sit in kart and go. IMO, they completely overthought this ride.

I don’t think it necessarily fails to deliver on its premise (for the ride that it’s trying to be, it’s probably the best one out there) but no amount of virtual reality can make up for visceral feeling, so the end result here is a high tech marvel that only occasionally feels like a “ride”.
I think you’re both right — when most people hear “Mario Kart” they think “speed.” This style of gamified attraction that Uni developed does have a place in the grand scheme of things but would probably have worked better as a C/D-ticket that helped anchor a Mario Kart E-ticket. Sometimes people just want to go fast!

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I think the ride is great, but whenever I mention the “Mario Kart” ride to folks not in the know, they ask if it goes fast and if you get to race other riders.
What really threw me about the “race other riders” part was that at the start of the race, you can see another car next to you during the countdown. It’s an interesting choice that kind of distracted me until I realized they were also Team Mario. It’s a super minor thing but may contribute to the overall noise/confusion of the attraction for first-timers going in cold.

With the apparent disappointment around the Mario Kart ride, I wonder - had we gotten it - how the GP would've felt about the Yoshi ride being slow, short, and 90% uneventful.
At least with Yoshi they would be able to see it from the ground and know immediately what kind of experience it was. The cynic in me thinks that MK was made to be deliberately obtuse to ensure re-rideability since almost everyone’s first ride is a wash; if GP satisfaction is low after the first ride, does that mean it’s backfiring?

There were two ways they could have went with this; Fast race or video game. They chose video game. Either choice would have its detractors. I think racing probably would have made more people happy. If you've played Mario Kart, and hear you get to ride the game, would you think you are going to get to race or have a more in depth video game? This ride system with a different IP or theme might have been better received though.

You could be right about USH's ride lineup being part of the problem. At the same time, they probably don't have room for a good fast racing ride, so it was the right choice for this park at least.