Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion) | Page 260 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
it’s because 50% of the time I open the forum, it’s either this guy complaining or people responding to this guy complaining. It gets tiring after a while. The boy who cried wolf and all that
I just briefly skimmed through your post before this one and I noticed you said (Regarding the crowd situation) "There's no way they could've predicted this". Huh? HUH?????? No way to predict a popular theme park land being popular? What?

We have been more than willing to humor your points and discuss them. But months later, you still keep going back to the same points and still keep making the same broad brushing generalizations and wild assumptions like I just brought up. Whenever the occasional person decides to indulge, you deliver the same general response. Everyone on here including myself have just gotten frustrated by this and have disengaged.

We have nothing against you personally. None of us are rubbing our hands together in the coffee shop or bedroom or wherever we're typing this saying "Muahahahaa I can't wait to hate on JerrodDragon today! MUAHAHAHA!!!" We are discussing theme park stuff on a theme park board. If someone keeps complaining or making ridiculous broad brushing statements and that don't make sense, we're just going to disengage and move on. We want to keep discussion moving forward. We don't want to keep going in circles over stuff that has been exhausted already.
fair

my complaint is at USH management for underestimating Nintendo as an IP

also freak I’m sorry for my attitude towards posters here, I’m going to try to be better and I will fail at times because it’s frustrating when I can’t even get a call back from USH (using referral links) but old management made some big mistakes and get paid tons of money to ignore market data.
Hopefully my future posts are more productive

The land is definitely small, crowds suck in there. I can’t imagine myself going and hanging out in the land when it’s busy. Just do MK and leave lol.

Reactions: Ron101
then why built it with less room to walk, one less game and one less ride?
And yes I know why, it’s a studio as well

but at least potter land doesn’t have a small cap of people

if management really did know what fire they had years ago then they would have invested more land or had it in another spot but they were conservative, which is going to lead to many days where guests aren’t happy

my friends got passes but I’m telling them about all the limits of the land and how I’ll have to track how to navigate when we can go to the land is kinda insane.
my only hope is management has something planned for this year to help with crowd flow.

while obviously they couldn’t predict covid and the switch selling even better because of it, it really feels like they underestimated the appeal of the Nintendo IP or else they would have given this land a bigger footprint, DK land Looks great but it coming in 3 years leaves us with three years of a land that will at capacity all day most weekends. Which maybe I’m miss remembering but potter wasn’t like that

Also I’m not trying to argue but when guests are upset and the attitude is of course it’s popular then it’s just confusing on why they didn’t do more even with the small land they had to make this work better
Like but out the panda restaurant agreement/move it or as others have pointed out use more of mt bean pole to add another game, etc

I'll take a stab at a different approach.

I've seen you take this "conservative" standpoint pretty frequently. You're convinced the reason that the land is so small is because Universal Creative or USH Management or someone didn't believe that the IP would do well and so they trimmed the land down as a way to manage any losses. I think you're assigning motive to that decision that isn't necessarily there. There's calculus going on at levels that we are simply unaware about. I don't think the land is small because they didn't think it would do well. They wouldn't have already greenlit the land in three separate parks if they didn't think it would do well. I think the USH version of the land is small because they wanted to do something even bigger later on down the line.

As discussed, USH has to worry about land usage much more than the other parks do, particularly when it comes to theme park expansion. Pre-SNW, there wasn't anything inside the park that was big enough or unpopular enough to tear down in justification for building SNW. Even if we assume that the current size of the land (about 3.25 acres) is the minimum size for the land, the only area that's big enough to hold it is the Studio Tour loading area and the Tram Garage behind it. But it's in a rather awkward configuration and then there's the matter of having to move all of that infrastructure somewhere else. So SNW has to be an expansion to the park. Two locations had been marked for future theme park expansion: the current site of SNW and the plot of land on the other side of Transformers where those four sets of soundstages are, which are 3.25 acres and about 4.5 acres, respectively. I think that Nintendo was planned for the bigger plot, probably still without DK but maybe with Yoshi and more interactive stuff, and something else was planned for the smaller plot. Then something changed.

For the last decade or so, Los Angeles has been angling to host the Olympics and was originally trying to get the 2024 Summer Olympics. I think SNW was always intended to open in Hollywood in 2023 or early 2024 as a way to ride high on the sudden swell of international tourists rushing into the city for the Olympics. The studio side was planned to be the international broadcasting hub, so why not capitalize that way, too? Something would open in the smaller plot in 2021 or 2022 and then SNW would open in the bigger plot a year or two later. But, in summer of 2017, the International Olympics Committee announced that Paris would get 2024 and Los Angeles would get 2028. Suddenly, that pressured timeline to get something big open ahead of the Olympics was a lot more relaxed. And USH had a decision to make. They could still save SNW for the Olympics, and open it in 2026 or 2027, but that would be several years after Japan and Orlando (which, at the time, was going to open SNW in IoA instead of Epic) and we all saw what that sort of thing had done, numbers-wise, to Potter. Or they could shuffle things around, present a trimmed down version of SNW with the big ride and most of the interactives intact in the smaller plot, and save the big plot of land for something else that could open up right on schedule with the 2028 Olympics.

I don't think they underestimated Nintendo. It seems to me that they appropriately estimated Nintendo in thinking that it would still be popular, would still make money, and would still draw in crowds even with a smaller version than they originally intended. They had to choose between a) opening a bigger but vastly delayed Nintendo, and b) opening a smaller Nintendo and opening something even bigger further down the line. I don't think anyone in here would have been happy to wait another four years for a Nintendo if the only difference was Yoshi and a few of the interactives.

I've seen you take this "conservative" standpoint pretty frequently. You're convinced the reason that the land is so small is because Universal Creative or USH Management or someone didn't believe that the IP would do well and so they trimmed the land down as a way to manage any losses. I think you're assigning motive to that decision that isn't necessarily there. There's calculus going on at levels that we are simply unaware about. I don't think the land is small because they didn't think it would do well. They wouldn't have already greenlit the land in three separate parks if they didn't think it would do well. I think the USH version of the land is small because they wanted to do something even bigger later on down the line.

As discussed, USH has to worry about land usage much more than the other parks do, particularly when it comes to theme park expansion. Pre-SNW, there wasn't anything inside the park that was big enough or unpopular enough to tear down in justification for building SNW. Even if we assume that the current size of the land (about 3.25 acres) is the minimum size for the land, the only area that's big enough to hold it is the Studio Tour loading area and the Tram Garage behind it. But it's in a rather awkward configuration and then there's the matter of having to move all of that infrastructure somewhere else. So SNW has to be an expansion to the park. Two locations had been marked for future theme park expansion: the current site of SNW and the plot of land on the other side of Transformers where those four sets of soundstages are, which are 3.25 acres and about 4.5 acres, respectively. I think that Nintendo was planned for the bigger plot, probably still without DK but maybe with Yoshi and more interactive stuff, and something else was planned for the smaller plot. Then something changed.

For the last decade or so, Los Angeles has been angling to host the Olympics and was originally trying to get the 2024 Summer Olympics. I think SNW was always intended to open in Hollywood in 2023 or early 2024 as a way to ride high on the sudden swell of international tourists rushing into the city for the Olympics. The studio side was planned to be the international broadcasting hub, so why not capitalize that way, too? Something would open in the smaller plot in 2021 or 2022 and then SNW would open in the bigger plot a year or two later. But, in summer of 2017, the International Olympics Committee announced that Paris would get 2024 and Los Angeles would get 2028. Suddenly, that pressured timeline to get something big open ahead of the Olympics was a lot more relaxed. And USH had a decision to make. They could still save SNW for the Olympics, and open it in 2026 or 2027, but that would be several years after Japan and Orlando (which, at the time, was going to open SNW in IoA instead of Epic) and we all saw what that sort of thing had done, numbers-wise, to Potter. Or they could shuffle things around, present a trimmed down version of SNW with the big ride and most of the interactives intact in the smaller plot, and save the big plot of land for something else that could open up right on schedule with the 2028 Olympics.

I don't think they underestimated Nintendo. It seems to me that they appropriately estimated Nintendo in thinking that it would still be popular, would still make money, and would still draw in crowds even with a smaller version than they originally intended. They had to choose between a) opening a bigger but vastly delayed Nintendo, and b) opening a smaller Nintendo and opening something even bigger further down the line. I don't think anyone in here would have been happy to wait another four years for a Nintendo if the only difference was Yoshi and a few of the interactives.
Looking at the original SLOP Hollywood configuration plans, that may well have been planned for where Nintendo is now.

I'm hoping these AP previews will be a great opportunity to for the park to figure out crowd control for the official opening. :)
somewhere some said the land capacity is 4,000 people according to Universal. Not sure if that is true but if that is the cast they probably plan to keep the place packed. If they really wanted to test crowd control they would implement their Virtual queue system. Instead of reservations just open it up to passholders and use the VQ. That is a more realistic way to see if the system works. Sure rope droppers would have an advantage but they can get a good idea of how the land will be impacted by crowds. Softs have been relatively mild so they really haven't tested the system yet.

Anyone know what the time slots are for the pass previews during the week (when the park is only open 10-6)?

Some thoughts from yesterday's preview.

If you don't have the first timeslot of the day, expect the first hour to be slammed but it should thin out in the second hour. Lines will still be long for the mini games but SR will pretty much be a walk on. Knowing that, we just marathoned MK for two hours and got five rides in. It was a blast. Really love this ride.

If you want to eat at the cafe, line up there first to get a reservation.

For those with long hair, tie it up or wear a cap or beanie. It will help the visor staying put. My wife and daughter had beanies on but the few times they took it off for the ride, the visor would slip around as they looked around to aim affecting their gameplay. Doing SR, I sat with many strangers and noticed other women saying the visors weren't staying on properly and their hair weren't tied up.

Surprised there wasn't a child switch room. They could've added one in the area to the right of the first set of stairs going down to load. Not sure if this will change later, but child switch doesn't let you go through the Express queue like other rides. It sends the second parent back through the SR queue.

If I don't remove my wristband, I wonder if I can use it to go back on other AP preview days and get into the land if they use the same colors again.

Perhaps Universal overbooked the timeslots for optics to show how popular the new land is.

No strollers are allowed in the land. Wonder if they'll be allowed once demand dies down.

I highly doubt not having a Toad M&G at first is due to budget cuts. The land is so crowded. Where would it even go?

Just keep your expectations in check that it'll be super busy and make the most out of it. I'm still grateful for the opportunity for AP previews and the many technical rehearsals they've had.

Good luck to everyone doing AP previews!

This could be true and its kinda funny they never saw this quote from Shigeru Miyamoto "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

While I'm happy to have it now, and It would have be frustrating if I was in the room where it happened I'd have really pushed to switch the F&F coaster with this even if it will make wayyy less money because while true this land will make money.....If i can't eat there or buy things because the land is closed or full then your also limiting your future profits.

The joy of just walking through the Yoshi area will bring so many smiles to people, if they could have made a deal to make a Kirby or Yoshi throughway in a space to get IP in the parks earlier I think that could have been a bandaid until the land opened

Or also built the land smaller but buy out the contract with Panda Express/move it and use that area for a escalator people eater ride, based on Luigi Mansion, Yoshi/Captain toad, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy etc.

Those are just my ideas on even with just a little more room they could have greatly helped this land also could have used My Beanpole for the Bombgame as well.

I do hope USH management has ideas to help this land because I remember the disappointment as a kid when rides were so poplar and I couldn't go on them because my family wouldn't wait with me and would not want that to happen to any kids coming to this land from far away

Hi Stryker, so did it feel much more packed/crowded then when the first day when it just randomly opened?

Reactions: imagineer89
Regarding size of the land, something we do know is that budget that would’ve gone to Yoshi went to SLoP. I stand by that being the right move. I do wonder if we’d be talking about how it should’ve opened with Donkey Kong if the land didn’t take almost as long as Tron due to the pandemic. This wasn’t supposed to be a four year build, it just sort of turned out that way. In another universe, DK is probably about to open lol

Regarding size of the land, something we do know is that budget that would’ve gone to Yoshi went to SLoP. I stand by that being the right move. I do wonder if we’d be talking about how it should’ve opened with Donkey Kong if the land didn’t take almost as long as Tron due to the pandemic. This wasn’t supposed to be a four year build, it just sort of turned out that way. In another universe, DK is probably about to open lol
Thats fine then make the Yoshi ride and escalator ride to save on budget. The land would very much benefit from a people eater and from what we can see DK is a coaster which is fine but will still have 3 hour lines and would be nice to have something that isn't that long of a line to ride and lets lots of people see it.

Also this points to my conservative with money theory, as if people don't like Fantasyland because they have 5 dark rides. Families love rides that are for everyone and having the Yoshi ride is more about adding capacity then being a unique expedience and the Q in Japan has a few items you can earn stamps with/interactive with which I think would be very cool. Most people seem to love all the big and small things you can do with the bands

Seems like a more reasonable approach. Though now that I know the other side of transformers was bigger, I kind of wish we got it there instead, but alas, it probably would have taken longer and that's probably just hindsight. Maybe that'll change once we get that expansion.

If you don't have the first timeslot of the day, expect the first hour to be slammed but it should thin out in the second hour. Lines will still be long for the mini games but SR will pretty much be a walk on. Knowing that, we just marathoned MK for two hours and got five rides in. It was a blast. Really love this ride.

If you want to eat at the cafe, line up there first to get a reservation.

For those with long hair, tie it up or wear a cap or beanie. It will help the visor staying put. My wife and daughter had beanies on but the few times they took it off for the ride, the visor would slip around as they looked around to aim affecting their gameplay. Doing SR, I sat with many strangers and noticed other women saying the visors weren't staying on properly and their hair weren't tied up.

Surprised there wasn't a child switch room. They could've added one in the area to the right of the first set of stairs going down to load. Not sure if this will change later, but child switch doesn't let you go through the Express queue like other rides. It sends the second parent back through the SR queue.

If I don't remove my wristband, I wonder if I can use it to go back on other AP preview days and get into the land if they use the same colors again.

Perhaps Universal overbooked the timeslots for optics to show how popular the new land is.

No strollers are allowed in the land. Wonder if they'll be allowed once demand dies down.

I highly doubt not having a Toad M&G at first is due to budget cuts. The land is so crowded. Where would it even go?

Just keep your expectations in check that it'll be super busy and make the most out of it. I'm still grateful for the opportunity for AP previews and the many technical rehearsals they've had.

So no chance of THs after all groups are called if the last group is 5-7? Cause they seemed to happen at six-ish yesterday, but if it were to keep up, I may consider going next Sunday afternoon.

Also, as for the concern with Toad, maybe they could have him in the same spot as the Mario Bros. or Princess Peach, just at different intervals? I know he had his own space in Japan, but I'm trying to account for the land size here.

I also concur once again liking Mario Kart more on a re-ride, especially once you get your bearings. I think it can still ultimately feel like you're part of the action despite not going super fast.
He said the restaurant seemed overwhelmed with the crowd and thus the food wasn't as good as when he ate there previously, and they ran out of some items.
I think I can attest from my time there last night, they were out of Tiramisu and I think the garlic knots weren't prepared the same.
During THs - 1/17/2022
1675106074584.png

AP Preview 1/29/2022
1675106124455.png
Yeah, I think the cafe was just as overwhelmed as we were. They probably hastily prepared them and/or ran low on their resources.
Side note, tried the Fire Flower Spaghetti last night, and for some reason I wasn't expecting it to be spicy and was caught off guard. Thought the fire flower part was just thematic and because of the cheese crisp.
ShadyFirsthandFlatfish-max-1mb.gif

Then again I am very sensitive to spiciness so YMMV. If you are though, probably get a drink ready to cancel it out.

Today has 4 groups 11am-1pm, 1-3, 3-5, and 5-7.

Yesterday’s reservations had a total of just shy of 11,000 guests. Today is just shy of 8,000 guests.

Thanks. Assuming for tomorrow it'll be 11-1, 1-3, and 3-5, then. (Park closes at 6.)

Reactions: Jonathan
Thanks. Assuming for tomorrow it'll be 11-1, 1-3, and 3-5, then. (Park closes at 6.)
Shoot, I forgot about non-weekend hours. That must have been why they were able to put THs at the end of the day yesterday. Guess we'll see this weekend.
Today has 4 groups 11am-1pm, 1-3, 3-5, and 5-7.

Yesterday’s reservations had a total of just shy of 11,000 guests. Today is just shy of 8,000 guests.
Insider stats numbers I presume? Don't remember seeing those anywhere else.