Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 139 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Pirates of the Ebay are, at this moment, poring over park maps planning their assault on The Mushroom Kingdom on a quest for Princess Peach's massive booty.

EsDvwROVEAAxixp

Photo from...

Last edited:
These are just my own expectations based off that one small review we got so this is more speculation,

I feel the characters in the race will definitely not be AAs, I’d think if anytbing just at the starting line bit even then, im imagining you’re able to tell the difference between AR and real sets relatively well, unless the AAs are insane, I don’t think they can do it on the ride and have them both working at the same time. Either the scene is full of AAs, or it’s filled with sets with the characters all around us, and to be honest it would make sense.

My only hope for an AA character is the volcanic Bowser from MK 8 Bowser’s Castle, we got Kong in Orlando, this is so big it wouldn’t matter if its AR or real because of its pure size, so idk, that’s my hope for rn. I’m just so damn excited to see the thing haha

Reactions: NocturneFexy
These are just my own expectations based off that one small review we got so this is more speculation,

I feel the characters in the race will definitely not be AAs, I’d think if anytbing just at the starting line bit even then, im imagining you’re able to tell the difference between AR and real sets relatively well, unless the AAs are insane, I don’t think they can do it on the ride and have them both working at the same time. Either the scene is full of AAs, or it’s filled with sets with the characters all around us, and to be honest it would make sense.

My only hope for an AA character is the volcanic Bowser from MK 8 Bowser’s Castle, we got Kong in Orlando, this is so big it wouldn’t matter if its AR or real because of its pure size, so idk, that’s my hope for rn. I’m just so damn excited to see the thing haha
I feel like the volcanic Bowser would be the climax/final battle of the ride so I think an AA make it a little more satisfying. But then again it could just be in AR since the technology's very young which means it would be very hard to make animatronics interact with the AR elements.

I feel like the volcanic Bowser would be the climax/final battle of the ride so I think an AA make it a little more satisfying. But then again it could just be in AR since the technology's very young which means it would be very hard to make animatronics interact with the AR elements.
Yeah, also true. I’m just so excited to see how this thing works!! Like truly this is sorta wild

Reactions: NocturneFexy
I wonder who called for AR tech. Universal or Nintendo? Judging by how unconventional the LEGO Super Mario line of toys are (for better or worse), I'm guessing it was Nintendo's call. Nintendo has a history with AR tech in the pass with the 3DS so this was probably an opportunity they didn't want to pass up.

I wonder who called for AR tech. Universal or Nintendo? Judging by how unconventional the LEGO Super Mario line of toys are (for better or worse), I'm guessing it was Nintendo's call. Nintendo has a history with AR tech in the pass with the 3DS so this was probably an opportunity they didn't want to pass up.
(I wish Nintendo made some traditional LEGO sets)

Also to add to your question I wonder if the AR is in house by their team or was made by a 3rd party.

I personally think that USJ is scared and genuinely feels like this ride won't translate well on videos/povs... and they're not ready for the theme park fan uproar. They're trying so hard to keep MK away from social media.. even w them keeping it closed during a rehearsal day (which I'm almost positive is the first time guests will be allowed to post bc there was no social media sign from what I saw). Especially now that everyone is saying there are no character animatronics and everything is in VR... that's going be a problem on Youtube. People who don't know much about the ride are going watch from a non AR perspective and feel like there is so much missing.

I'm curious to know if any full POVs were even filmed during AP previews to be posted on Feb 4.

I personally think that USJ is scared and genuinely feels like this ride won't translate well on videos/povs... and they're not ready for the theme park fan uproar. They're trying so hard to keep MK away from social media.. even w them keeping it closed during a rehearsal day (which I'm almost positive is the first time guests will be allowed to post bc there was no social media sign from what I saw). Especially now that everyone is saying there are no character animatronics and everything is in VR... that's going be a problem on Youtube. People who don't know much about the ride are going watch from a non AR perspective and feel like there is so much missing.

I'm curious to know if any full POVs were even filmed during AP previews to be posted on Feb 4.

As long as there’s predominantly practical sets (with projection mapping of course) that the AR interacts with, I’ll take.

Reactions: drumset333
I get the feeling that once a POV gets released, it's going to get some very mixed feedback (Probably slightly moreso negative). It will probably look pretty bare since it will be so heavy on the AR (Which is my fear).

I also get the vibe that they made this ride for the video game fans/people who just want to live out Mario Kart than for the theme park fans, if that makes sense. I think it will be more focused on the "live gaming" experience to let you play MK in "real life" than to wow you with special effects like Indy or Rise. Of course they will do their best to appease both ends of this spectrum, but I think this is going to feel more "video game-y" than a "Wow! This is a spectacular ride!" kind of experience.

Again, I'm sure it will look underwhelming on the POVs (Which I will do my best to avoid until it opens at USH). When I spoiled myself by watching the POV of Runaway Railway, I thought the ride looked fine but wasn't overwhelmed by it. When I actually rode it, I really enjoyed it. Of course a POV won't be the same as riding it in person, especially with the AR being so heavily involved. I think this will be a fun ride, but we better temper our expectations to not expect another Rise of the Resistance or Indy.

I personally think that USJ is scared and genuinely feels like this ride won't translate well on videos/povs...
Hardly any attraction that Universal has created since 1999 has translated well on video

Maybe MIB and JPRA...And possibly Mummy (although I remember people complaining it was mostly just dark empty space back in the day #IOACentral)

I don't blame them (especially in the age of super HD video in the palm of our hands) for being over it

Yeah, I'm expecting a mixed reaction.

I do wonder what the visuals will look like? Will they be new assets and almost pre-rendered CGI-like? Or will they rip the assets from Mario Kart 8 and go from there? The quality of this AR will make or break this attraction (I don't know how to feel about that).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm expecting a mixed reaction.

I do wonder what the visuals will look like? Will they be new assets and almost pre-rendered CGI-like? Or will they rip the assets from Mario Kart 8 and go from there? The quality of this AR will make or break this attraction (I don't know how to feel about that).
Universal will open the ride

POV will leak

Some people will poo poo it for having too much of (insert complaint here)

Everyone else will love it

Universal will make a ton of cash

Rinse and repeat lol

They should just release an official POV then. I’m not demanding, but if they could somehow make it so they got a ride with the AR effects showing I think people would have better first impressions.

To be fair many rides look bad on YouTube POV. Especially with screens or any kind of 3D. It is not the same experience at all and anyone thinking a ride is bad because of that before they even ride it just seems crazy. If it's a good ride then good WOm will win out. If it's not you'll get Supercharged. But they're already doubling down on it by building the same ride everywhere (or planning to anyway) so I'm sure they're confident in it.

If no one here had ridden Spider-Man, let us know what you think via a YouTube POV. Not even trying to be funny. At best, POV’s give you an idea of the experience.

Reactions: Mad Dog