Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 185 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know what you're saying but for reference on what people said about Universal attractions

FJ was too convoluted of a story and had too many screen domes
Gringotts had too many screens and bad pacing
Kong had too many screens and bad pacing
Hagrids rushed by the practical effects too quickly to appreciate and the AAs had too little movement
Velocicoaster is triggering some people for simply existing
Hulk's queue wasn't air conditioned

It's always something lol
To be fair, as a fan of all of those rides, those are fair critiques (though I think the dome screens in Potter are fine).

Edit: Not Veliociscoaster though, people are just salty about that one lmao.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
You obviously cannot recreate the ride in your basement. That wasn’t the point of my argument.
No, your point is out of the many AAs and practical things around the land Mario and Bowser were chosen to be represented digitally

Which is a very very nitpicky thing to be upset or disappointed over

To be fair, as a fan of all of those rides, those are fair critiques (though I think the dome screens in Potter are fine).

Edit: Not Veliociscoaster though, people are just salty about that one lmao.
Maybe? But, despite those complaints made by people on YouTube, the rides still garner positive GSAT scores

• Angry
Reactions: Brer Oswald
No but a real animatronic makes a huge difference over just experiencing a digital creation. One is actually “there” and tangible.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong says hi.
I have gone on the record many times about my dislike of animatronics. But I don't think I have actually said this yet. Skull Island's Kong is one of the absolute worst integration of an animatronic in a ride that I have ever seen. "Ok, ride's over...but wait! Look! A giant monkey head!..Ok, let's go."

@Brer Oswald & @Pacific Fun can you guys each write one post with everything you wish this had/what you don’t like? Just to consolidate this thread a bit. It seems to be a bit circular and I feel like the goal post moves a little every time. I just want to be super clear on your feelings cause as it stands, I’m confused.

@Brer Oswald & @Pacific Fun can you guys each write one post with everything you wish this had/what you don’t like? Just to consolidate this thread a bit. It seems to be a bit circular and I feel like the goal post moves a little every time. I just want to be super clear on your feelings cause as it stands, I’m confused.
Wish list:
- More characters. The absence of Wario and Rosalina is baffling, especially with less significant characters like Daisy having a role.
- A main Super Mario ride. Something to match the spectacle and narrative experience of FJ and RotR.
- Greater presence of Galaxy and 64. For what are widely considered the two best Mario games, you’d think they’d have a larger presence. Galaxy has phenomenal music that would provide such an amazing experience in a hypothetical Mario ride.
- Larger Peach’s Castle. You don’t even get the full first floor with the one they built.
- Animatronics. I would have liked to see a Bowser figure, full of life. Could’ve been a cool set piece in the queue. The statue is cool though.
- Longer Yoshi ride, with a more consistent theme. I’m fine with Captain Toad and the Baby Yoshi’s. The ride could’ve used an extra interior scene. Maybe this is where they could’ve added animatronics (Baby Bowser?). I think if this ride had one large three dimensional scene, I wouldn’t be as disappointed with the lack of a “Super Mario Ride”.

Most of these problems are attraction specific because I really do think they did a good job with the land itself.

Wish list:
- More characters. The absence of Wario and Rosalina is baffling, especially with less significant characters like Daisy having a role.
- A main Super Mario ride. Something to match the spectacle and narrative experience of FJ and RotR.
- Greater presence of Galaxy and 64. For what are widely considered the two best Mario games, you’d think they’d have a larger presence. Galaxy has phenomenal music that would provide such an amazing experience in a hypothetical Mario ride.
- Larger Peach’s Castle. You don’t even get the full first floor with the one they built.
- Animatronics. I would have liked to see a Bowser figure, full of life. Could’ve been a cool set piece in the queue. The statue is cool though.
- Longer Yoshi ride, with a more consistent theme. I’m fine with Captain Toad and the Baby Yoshi’s. The ride could’ve used an extra interior scene. Maybe this is where they could’ve added animatronics (Baby Bowser?). I think if this ride had one large three dimensional scene, I wouldn’t be as disappointed with the lack of a “Super Mario Ride”.

Most of these problems are attraction specific because I really do think they did a good job with the land itself.
WTF is a Rosalina

WTF is a Rosalina
Do you play Mario games? She was introduced in Super Mario Galaxy, and has become the second main Princess. She’s playable in Super Mario 3D World, playable in the two most recent Smash Bros games, and has been playable in most of the Mario Spin-offs since the Wii. 31762C58-314F-408B-B214-FDB43273B40E.png
She’s the one in Blue. Wario is the one in yellow. Waluigi in purple.

WTF is a Rosalina

I think that's unfair. She's a huge part of the Mario Galaxy games.

I agree with some of Brer's objections; I would've really loved to see some AAs of the main characters, even though I think they did an amazing job with the thwomps and goombas and shy guys and others. Just a short little scene with a Bowser AA would've been great for rounding out the ride, even though I think that, as it stands, it's still a fantastic ride.

However, I also think the land in itself is still amazing, and Mario Kart looks dope as hell. I hope it can be expanded in the future, but if it's not, I'm happy with what we have.

Wish list:

Thanks for this. So basically you like the land, but just want an extension with additional opportunities. I get that. When I think about the Wizarding World, I always think about the no brainer of a Great Hall restaurant. So many cool things they can do with that concept. Maybe visit the world, live in it, and see if you still miss those things. It’s hard for all of us because right now, we effectively have a birds eye view of the situation. Once I’m in WW, I’m too giddy to remember I wanted a Dobby AA.

I think that's unfair. She's a huge part of the Mario Galaxy games.

I agree with some of Brer's objections; I would've really loved to see some AAs of the main characters, even though I think they did an amazing job with the thwomps and goombas and shy guys and others. Just a short little scene with a Bowser AA would've been great for rounding out the ride, even though I think that, as it stands, it's still a fantastic ride.

However, I also think the land in itself is still amazing, and Mario Kart looks dope as hell. I hope it can be expanded in the future, but if it's not, I'm happy with what we have.
Those are nitpicks not problems

Do you play Mario games? She was introduced in Super Mario Galaxy, and has become the second main Princess. She’s playable in Super Mario 3D World, playable in the two most recent Smash Bros games, and has been playable in most of the Mario Spin-offs since the Wii. View attachment 14013
Oh, I know who she is, I just don't care

Thanks for this. So basically you like the land, but just want an extension with additional opportunities. I get that. When I think about the Wizarding World, I always think about the no brainer of a Great Hall restaurant. So many cool things they can do with that concept. Maybe visit the world, live in it, and see if you still miss those things. It’s hard for all of us because right now, we effectively have a birds eye view of the situation. Once I’m in WW, I’m too giddy to remember I wanted a Dobby AA.
Yes. I realize I’ve been complaining a lot. There’s a lot more I like about this land than dislike, but it’s hard to praise what hasn’t already been said. My criticisms, on the other hand, don’t seem to be as common. Most of the complaints are that Mario Kart is “too slow” or that it shouldn’t be interactive at all (which is ridiculous).

I’m still very excited to check this out!

Oh boy...

*plays "Let's-a-go!" sound clip

Pros of the land:
-The land looks like Super Mario 3D World came to life. The kinetic energy on display is unmatched. It's amazing and almost CG like.

-The library section of Bowser's Challenge is spectacular looking. Its up there with Indiana Jones in terms of immersion. I LOVE IT.

-The food looks super good but its too bad I won't be able to try it probably.

-The character costumes are jawdroping perfection.

-The easter eggs throughout the land are so awesome.

-The music seems to be extremely varied which is a highly welcomed surprise.

-The activities look so fun, they create like mini attractions within the land.

"Cons" of the land
-It looks way too cramped to be honest and the use of mutil levels isn't as interesting as I thought it'd be (this will vary based on the version of the land so this solely for Osaka).

- I'm going to come out and just say it straight: Mario Kart was a "bad" idea from the get go. Mario Kart is so fun because items, environments, drifting and speed all work off of each other to make it fun. Once one of those things are gone, it falls apart. The items in Mario Kart compliment the speed. The Mario Kart ride had to take so many creative liberties to work, it doesn't even look like Mario Kart anymore. They should have made a ride with a somewhat original concept using the the Super Mario IP, not Mario Kart. That way, expectations would be far less intense. This is regardless of how great the AR is. Its just not Mario Kart.

-Yoshi is trying to be a Yoshi's Island ride while also being a New S O U P (HAH) ride. I just wish they just ditched the Yoshi's Island aesthetic altogether and just went full NSMB/generic Mario.

-Yoshi queue is also just...bleh aesthetic wise as well. It looks like a box and the props look too close to the line to me.

-The merch is cool but the lack of Daisy and Toadette (one of which has a power band) is very dissapointing. This will probably be solved in the future though.

Concerns about the land
-I'm concerned about how the kinetic energy will be handled over the years. I feel the animatronics will break down a lot.

-I'm worried about how the interactive areas will translate to the US parks. Our crowds are much different than the ones in Japan.

Wishes
-The land(s) could use a show.

Okay, there. Those are ALL of my feelings regarding this land. Basically, the land itself is stellar outside of it being a bit cramped (which looks to be solved in the Hollywood location) while I'm not crazy about the rides.

Regardless of my feelings, its still going to be a slam dunk for Universal. I literally have nothing else to say anymore.

Last edited:
I don’t think people realize how lame a Bowser vs Mario fighting AA battle would be, if you thought the MK ride was slow....
To be fair he’s the only one that brought up them fighting. My thought process was always like here and there through out the ride an AA driver would pull up near you using a similar trick to what Disney did with Mater in RSR. Or even just have them at the starting line at least idk.

Also you do realize AA tech just keeps getting better and more lifelike all the time right?
No, your point is out of the many AAs and practical things around the land Mario and Bowser were chosen to be represented digitally

Which is a very very nitpicky thing to be upset or disappointed over
It’s nit picky to want to see the main characters as AAs and not just mostly the generic baddies? Also everyone would’ve guaranteed flipped over seeing a full size advanced AA Bowser likely from Creature Technology again like Kong was.

Do you play Mario games? She was introduced in Super Mario Galaxy, and has become the second main Princess. She’s playable in Super Mario 3D World, playable in the two most recent Smash Bros games, and has been playable in most of the Mario Spin-offs since the Wii. View attachment 14013

If I had to guess, I’d say the characters chosen for representation in the land were most likely done so based on how well known they are. Everyone and their grandmother can recognize Mario and Luigi, obviously, and characters like Yoshi, Toad, Peach, and Bowser are just as recognizable by people who have never touched a Mario-related game because they’ve become so embedded in pop culture over the last 35+ years.

They’re iconic in a way that Rosalina is simply not; regardless of how “big” she may be a focus in more modern Mario games over the last decade, I’d bet everything that more people across the generational spectrum walking into SNW who know the “classic” - for lack of a better word - characters would be asking, “Who is that?” if Rosalina was walking around than would recognize her simply due to the character not having the type of pop culture legacy all the others have.

Reactions: Nico
Eh, I think Daisy would be the second main princess at this point. She's been around for 32 years and has stared in over 81 games compared to Rosalina who has been in around 30. She's just had a lot more exposure than Rosalina.

Also, the app datamine shows that Rosie is totally here just not in any attractions. She'll probably get a power-up band and merch down the line.

Reactions: Legacy
If I had to guess, I’d say the characters chosen for representation in the land were most likely done so based on how well known they are. Everyone and their grandmother can recognize Mario and Luigi, obviously, and characters like Yoshi, Toad, Peach, and Bowser are just as recognizable by people who have never touched a Mario-related game because they’ve become so embedded in pop culture over the last 35+ years. They’re iconic in a way that Rosalina is simply not; regardless of how “big” she may be a focus in more modern Mario games over the last decade, I’d bet everything that more people walking into SNW who know the “classic” - for lack of a better word - characters would be asking, “Who is that?” if Rosalina was walking around than would recognize her simply due to the character not having the type of pop culture legacy all the others have.
Obviously she’s not popular to the extent of the big 6. But if we’re going to the extent of including Daisy, Toadette, Kamek, King Boo, Captain Toad, Bowser Jr, the Koopalings, and Poochy (of all characters), the absence of Rosalina and ESPECIALLY Wario sticks out like a sore thumb. If you’re a Mario character that’s popular enough to be playable in Smash Bros, you should probably be in this land.
Eh, I think Daisy would be the second main princess at this point. She's been around for 32 years and has stared in over 81 games compared to Rosalina who has been in around 30. She's just had a lot more exposure than Rosalina.

Also, the app datamine shows that Rosie is totally here just not in any attractions. She'll probably get a power-up band and merch down the line.
Daisy has an advantage due to age, but Rosalina has had a much higher impact with her appearances. I suppose if you stopped playing around GameCube, Daisy would be more iconic?

Skull Island's Kong is one of the absolute worst integration of an animatronic in a ride that I have ever seen. "Ok, ride's over...but wait! Look! A giant monkey head!..Ok, let's go."

It's by far the best scene of the ride, so...
img_4460.gif

To be fair he’s the only one that brought up them fighting. My thought process was always like here and there through out the ride an AA driver would pull up near you using a similar trick to what Disney did with Mater in RSR. Or even just have them at the starting line at least idk.

Also you do realize AA tech just keeps getting better and more lifelike all the time right?

It’s nit picky to want to see the main characters as AAs and not just mostly the generic baddies? Also everyone would’ve guaranteed flipped over seeing a full size advanced AA Bowser likely from Creature Technology again like Kong was.
My thought process was the same until I saw the ride and saw why no one on Team Koopa or Mario could do that as it’d break some of the illusion, so I get going 100% in on it but I hear that point.

I do know that about AAs, but the Navi River Journey AA can’t even pull of a realistic fight scene between them, I think there would have to be a ton else going on around them to make them feel animated enough, similiar to how it worked out in MK. Especially on a ride

Reactions: JungleSkip