Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Legacy of Leatherface (HHN 2024) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Legacy of Leatherface (HHN 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Isn't that most horror franchises?
Honestly, I don't think so (for such a major titan of terror at least). I've never seen horror fandom so universally be in agreement that there is only 2, 3 tops, good installments in this franchise. People can debate all day about Nightmare, Friday, Chucky, Scream, Evil Dead, Conjuring, Insidious, Halloween, Saw, etc., but I never see anyone defend TCM 3, or Next Generation in earnest, or Leatherface, or the new Netflix one. Any installment of the other franchises I listed, plenty of people will boast a particular one is genuinely their favorite.

I thought people generally enjoyed the 2003 TCM reboot.
Yeah, I think saying the franchise has only two good entries is a stretch. The original is a classic and the sequel is gonzo and memorably out there, but the 2003 reboot is solid and slick, as is the prequel to that reboot (both feature a great appearance by R. Lee Ermey). IMO, the 2017 prequel Leatherface is interesting and has its moments, the Next Generation and Chainsaw 3D have some "so bad it's good" appeal, Leatherface: TCM III is a bland but not horrible late '80s/early '90s style slasher, etc. For me, only the Netflix one is kind of soulless. For sure TCM is less consistent in quality than franchises like Scream or Evil Dead (or for that matter, Friday the 13th, even if the baseline is lower for that one), but I wouldn't say it's FAR worse or more uneven than something like Halloween, another biggie with a mixed record. And, like Halloween, TCM is obviously deeply influential on the genre.

Of course, having said all of that, it's all subjective!

Isn't that most horror franchises?

I'd say so. The original TCM was great because it felt real at the time and is relentless in its dark tone. The sequel is a lot of fun if you view it as a B comedy, and I enjoyed the 2003 remake. Other than that, they're pretty dull movies and none outside the original are scary.

Reactions: Freak
they're pretty dull movies and none outside the original are scary.
2003 remake scared me a bit, but in my defense... I was in high school at the time. :lol:

It's definitely a franchise that is underwhelming to me. Give me a Leatherface photo-op/meAt-n-greet & I'd be content.

At least this will be an IP original. However, I'm not looking forward to the gore or smell.

Reactions: mks
2003 remake scared me a bit, but in my defense... I was in high school at the time. :lol:

It's definitely a franchise that is underwhelming to me. Give me a Leatherface photo-op/meAt-n-greet & I'd be content.

At least this will be an IP original. However, I'm not looking forward to the gore or smell.
Haha, I remember that one scaring a lot of folks when it came out! Yeah, not a huge fan of the slaughterhouse setting, myself.