The Bourne Stuntacular - General Discussion | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

The Bourne Stuntacular - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Doug: Live was a better hybrid show...

Sure. Rewrite history if you please. But when this opened, there had never been a theme park "show" that blended 4D, live actors, animatronics, pyrotechnics, moving screens and sets. Hell, to this day, I don't think there's been many theme park shows as ambitious. Looks like Bourne can only try and continue its Legacy. ;)

Sure. Rewrite history if you please. But when this opened, there had never been a theme park "show" that blended 4D, live actors, animatronics, pyrotechnics, moving screens and sets. Hell, to this day, I don't think there's been many theme park shows as ambitious. Looks like Bourne can only try and continue its Legacy. ;)
Here’s the thing, though: It wasn’t first. MuppetVision 3-D opened 5 years earlier and you can see its influence on T2. It had live performers, animatronics, and practical elements interacting with a 3D movie first. T2’s biggest add was rumble seats. So... yeah. I’m not rewriting history on this one.

I enjoyed the show. But people act like it was a grand, epic thing when it was a 20 minute movie bookended by a few minutes of basic stunt work. For all the impressive scale and initial uniqueness of T2:3D, it was 70% a movie, 20% a live show, and 10% “hybrid.”

Bourne is looking to be 90% hybrid.

Here’s the thing, though: It wasn’t first. MuppetVision 3-D opened 5 years earlier and you can see its influence on T2. It had live performers, animatronics, and practical elements interacting with a 3D movie first. T2’s biggest add was rumble seats. So... yeah. I’m not rewriting history on this one.

I enjoyed the show. But people act like it was a grand, epic thing when it was a 20 minute movie bookended by a few minutes of basic stunt work. For all the impressive scale and initial uniqueness of T2:3D, it was 70% a movie, 20% a live show, and 10% “hybrid.”

Bourne is looking to be 90% hybrid.
A bit more to it that just rumble seats. The entire screen moved up and down. The motorcycle was essentially a min coaster. Synching up 6 70mm projectors. And comparing one person in a costume coming in from a door to 2 people dropping down from the ceiling is a stretch for "live". If anything Muppetvision 3-D was simply the Magic Eye Theater with animatronics combined with a meet and greet,

A bit more to it that just rumble seats. The entire screen moved up and down. The motorcycle was essentially a min coaster. Synching up 6 70mm projectors. And comparing one person in a costume coming in from a door to 2 people dropping down from the ceiling is a stretch for "live". If anything Muppetvision 3-D was simply the Magic Eye Theater with animatronics combined with a meet and greet,
So... T2:3D is the Magic Eye with the same, plus a motorcycle?

Point being, T2:3D wasn’t first. And, structurally, it was really basic. Yes, the moving screen was impressive and clever. But synchronizing projectors wasn’t new (or difficult) and, again, the stunts are all very basic (they amount to two falls, two rigging drops, 3-4 gunshots, and some running).

MuppetVision has - 3D film (check), live performance (check), animatronics (check), smoke/fog effects (check). And it came 5 years before T2:3D. I’d argue there’s MORE practical interaction and immersion in MuppetVision because of the theater’s destruction and everything Swedish Chef does, that T2:3D. Sure, the entrances of the live performers are better than Sweetum, but once the motorcycle goes back into the screen, T2 is nothing but a movie. It’s a BIG movie, on a BIG screen, but it’s still a movie.

• Haha
Reactions: Jwhee
So... T2:3D is the Magic Eye with the same, plus a motorcycle?

Point being, T2:3D wasn’t first. And, structurally, it was really basic. Yes, the moving screen was impressive and clever. But synchronizing projectors wasn’t new (or difficult) and, again, the stunts are all very basic (they amount to two falls, two rigging drops, 3-4 gunshots, and some running).

MuppetVision has - 3D film (check), live performance (check), animatronics (check), smoke/fog effects (check). And it came 5 years before T2:3D. I’d argue there’s MORE practical interaction and immersion in MuppetVision because of the theater’s destruction and everything Swedish Chef does, that T2:3D. Sure, the entrances of the live performers are better than Sweetum, but once the motorcycle goes back into the screen, T2 is nothing but a movie. It’s a BIG movie, on a BIG screen, but it’s still a movie.
If you consider a guy in a large suit running out with a flashlight for a minute the same as the stunt performers... sure. (I also forgot to mention that T2 had hydraulic lifts, set pieces that moved out of the way, rising walls..) The Muppet "destruction" was simply scrims. T2:3D was way, way more complex than any indoor show had ever been done... keeping all that in synch was tough.
So yeah, other than actual stunt actors, moving screens, the motorcycle, moving set pieces, hydraulic lifts, massive sound system, collapsing walls... why they are almost the same.... sigh

If you consider a guy in a large suit running out with a flashlight for a minute the same as the stunt performers... sure. (I also forgot to mention that T2 had hydraulic lifts, set pieces that moved out of the way, rising walls..) The Muppet "destruction" was simply scrims. T2:3D was way, way more complex than any indoor show had ever been done... keeping all that in synch was tough.
So yeah, other than actual stunt actors, moving screens, the motorcycle, moving set pieces, hydraulic lifts, massive sound system, collapsing walls... why they are almost the same.... sigh
It was complex and impressive. My gripe was always was that it’s predominately a movie. But, for all intents and purposes, they just took MuppetVision (objectively, an attraction that came first and features most of the same key ideas) and upped the scale.

Bourne is looking to have four times that amount of complexity. The only thing it’s unlikely to have is animatronics. But the T-70s barely did anything anyway.

I hOpE iT cAn LiVe Up To TeRmINaToR.

T2 3D was also really impressive, like, The Unofficial Guide thought it and ToT were the two best theme park attractions in the late 90s (prior to IOA opening). I think it's fair to say Bourne has a lot to live up to our memories of T2 3D, which is different than what T2 3D actually was.

I don’t get the hate on T2. It was an incredible attraction when it opened and was a solid experience.

unfortunately the years weren’t kind to it and after debuting nearly 25 years ago, it’s time to go was overdue.

Bourne has a lot to live up to. While I’m. It overly optimistic on it, it still has potential to be something good.

I’m reserving judgement until I see it with my own eyes in June, if my trip still goes ahead.

I’m reserving judgement until I see it with my own eyes in June, if my trip still goes ahead.

Just on this point specifically, I have a terrible feeling that the parks will close but the likes of a Tui/virgin won’t cancel the flight / hotel package so we’ll be stuck with flights and holidays but the things we want to do may not be open. Hopefully it all comes to nothing.

See you down Clearwater Beach?

Reactions: Scott W.
Just on this point specifically, I have a terrible feeling that the parks will close but the likes of a Tui/virgin won’t cancel the flight / hotel package so we’ll be stuck with flights and holidays but the things we want to do may not be open. Hopefully it all comes to nothing.

See you down Clearwater Beach?

That is my big worry. No offence to Orlando but if the parks are shut, there's nothing else to do.

I'd like to think that Virgin and Tui will do the right thing because of the inevitable backlash.

Reactions: Andysol and UAN17
That is my big worry. No offence to Orlando but if the parks are shut, there's nothing else to do.

I'd like to think that Virgin and Tui will do the right thing because of the inevitable backlash.

We’re due to go a little earlier, early May. I have a bad feeling about it all. Appreciate there’s bigger concerns and me going on holiday isn’t no.1 priority or anything...I’m due to pay for park tickets by 27th March so hoping we have a bit more clarity before that so I can cancel that aspect if required.