The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at pics of me and Taylor from that night in 2015! AmaIng how far that event has come. Wait, isnt that where we first met too

The Meetups give you a food gift card you can use from 5-8 before the parks close to general guests now too, since most of the free food doesn’t start till 9, so we grabbed pizza and breadsticks, and then Butterbeer Ice Cream in a cone before park close to kick things off.

Hah, I was there, too, working with him at the time. Really proud of how far the site has come and impressed by the scope of the events they’ve been able to host.

Reactions: Alicia and JoeCamel
love when the retro logo shows up on actual signage and not just merch

This is more “State of Universal Orlando Resort” I guess but what’s the deal with Earl the Squirrel (or Little Boo for that matter)? It’s like Universal trying to manufacture their own version of Disney Adults? Isn’t a sense of ownership over the parks stemming from social media trends kind of a problem at both of the resorts? Or if it’s not a social media trend coming from the guests…are they trying a little bit too hard?

I’m out of the loop on the social stuff so maybe I just don’t get it but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around what the goal is.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is more “State of Universal Orlando Resort” I guess but what’s the deal with Earl the Squirrel (or Little Boo for that matter)? It’s like Universal trying to manufacture their own version of Disney Adults? Isn’t a sense of ownership over the parks stemming from social media trends kind of a problem at both of the resorts? Or if it’s not a social media trend coming from the guests…are they trying a little bit too hard?

I’m out of the loop on the social stuff so maybe I just don’t get it but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around what the goal is.
They at least started out as just in-jokes, but now I tend to agree they’re going a bit too far.

If the merch sells well, that's the old end justifies the means strategy.

Dafuq is a Disney Adult?

In my view the Universal AP holders are a bit of a tighter and more engaged group with regards to social media "Twitter trends" specifically

A meme on a Disney AP page would be largely ignored, where as with Universal it is absorbed into that event's ethos

It's capitalizing on a trend that appeals to the guests that frequent the park's events the most

I also think Earl gives the big idea of "Christmas at Universal" a face...an icon, if you will

I feel like I see Earl more than Grinch now...whatever that means

The goal is obviously to sell merch. But I agree it's weird seeing a complete 180 from "we're the anti-Disney." Anecdotal example, when CityWalk was built to compete with Pleasure Island, designers eschewed an "Adventurers Club"-esque offering because they didn't want a "Universal adult" demo. To see them now leaning into being a lifestyle brand is odd. Not sure it will work, but as WDW makes it harder and harder on its fans (lack of APs, reservations), I guess there's an untapped market locally.

The goal is obviously to sell merch. But I agree it's weird seeing a complete 180 from "we're the anti-Disney." Anecdotal example, when CityWalk was built to compete with Pleasure Island, designers eschewed an "Adventurers Club"-esque offering because they didn't want a "Universal adult" demo. To see them now leaning into being a lifestyle brand is odd. Not sure it will work, but as WDW makes it harder and harder on its fans (lack of APs, reservations), I guess there's an untapped market locally.
That’s a good point about the shift in the local market now that Disney is all but saying they don’t want locals to come anymore haha.

But besides a they vs them branding thing I also thought that the “insider” fanbase presented legitimate problems to the parks. The APs used to have a dedicated “manager” or “representative” that people were unhealthily obsessing over to the point they shifted the whole nature of the AP Facebook group. Granted, Earl the Squirrel is not a real person, it just seems counterintuitive to open the door to that kind of “let’s be in on the inside joke” thing together.

I’m all for Lil Boo and Earl. We talk about wanting original concepts in the parks instead of constant IP- and now we’ve got 2 original characters. Pretty cool IMO
Yea, we finally got homegrown original characters. The backstories and lore of how they came to be is fun and unique, but not everyone needs to be terminally online to enjoy them still. At the end of the day we now also have cute characters that aren’t tied to any film or TV show to help promote seasonal events. I see nothing wrong with that.

Mistletoe Pines continues to show up on merch and Promotional signage as well, and that’s 100% just an in-house Creation. No lore needed. Same thing with Green and Red Coconut club’s WGRC station.

I like what they’re doing. Would you rather they only ever just slap Bob the Minion on every sign? I know I wouldn’t.

I like what they’re doing. Would you rather they only ever just slap Bob the Minion on every sign? I know I wouldn’t.

This was for me..? Kind of a straw man, no? I personally think Earl is on the cringe side but that really wasn’t the point of the question…more so just wondering what people’s take was on the strategy given the parks are getting larger, meaning hardcore community engagement can get more dicey. If tourists are buying the merch (which truthfully I didn’t know they did before this discussion) then awesome on UO for spending the resources to develop something with non-guaranteed ROI!

Reactions: Alicia
This was for me..? Kind of a straw man, no? I personally think Earl is on the cringe side but that really wasn’t the point of the question…more so just wondering what people’s take was on the strategy given the parks are getting larger, meaning hardcore community engagement can get more dicey. If tourists are buying the merch (which truthfully I didn’t know they did before this discussion) then awesome on UO for spending the resources to develop something with non-guaranteed ROI!
My question was more rhetorical. As they tend to slap Grinch or Bob on everything else nowadays. The only things without Earl or Bob or Grinch are those Tree logos with bad kerning lol

I've been surprised the last couple years the chances they've taken on merch and even creating a costumed character for Earl. Just like Lil' Boo, even if I'm the only one loving all this, at least I am happy.

I guess I don’t get your point. People often want Universal to operate with more nostalgia like Disney. We want Disney to care more about their fan base. To me this helps accomplish both simultaneously.

I just watched an Ordinary Adventures video about the Life Day event in Disneyland. Fans taking an aspect of an IP and making it into a big event in the parks. Then Disney making more merch/food offerings to celebrate the “holiday.” I’m not really sure how these fun, cute characters are different. Builds community investment, allows people to have fun at the parks, and offers new opportunity for sales.

Edit: Reread your initial post. Is your worry that catering to fans in this way will ultimately lead to entitlement?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darko
Edit: Reread your initial post. Is your worry that catering to fans in this way will ultimately lead to entitlement?

I just wouldn’t want Universal to become a place where people line up hours for a popcorn bucket or bumper sticker with a non-IP character on it.

Granted, that’s obviously not a serious risk here, and I’ll be the first to say as weird as I think it is, I don’t judge anyone for how they want to spend their time or souvenir budget.

BUT, both resorts have different strengths…one of Universal’s is the more laid back clientele that allows for new rides to have manageable waits a year after opening or seasons to actually fluctuate in crowd levels throughout the year. A part of that goes away when you start manufacturing a lifestyle brand and I’m just surprised to see them leaning into that, as minimal as it may be.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nico
I just wouldn’t want Universal to become a place where people line up hours for a popcorn bucket or bumper sticker with a non-IP character on it.

Granted, that’s obviously not a serious risk here, and I’ll be the first to say as weird as I think it is, I don’t judge anyone for how they want to spend their time or souvenir budget.

BUT, both resorts have different strengths…one of Universal’s is the more laid back clientele that allows for new rides to have manageable waits a year after opening or seasons to actually fluctuate in crowd levels throughout the year. A part of that goes away when you start manufacturing a lifestyle brand and I’m just surprised to see them leaning into that, as minimal as it may be.

I don't think them making mascots for christmas and halloween(arguably their two biggest seasons) is going to spread the crowds out throughout the year. There's other things doing that, but not an in house IP.

I just look at these as things to drive more merch, but that the average guest doesn't know exists or cares if they do notice.

I get the concerns, but in their lifespan development, Universal is decades behind Disney. I don’t think a bumper sticker with Lil Boo spells disaster.

I feel like you’re describing a Bread and Circuses situation. Universal is continuing to develop lands, attractions, and a whole new park. If development ever slows to a trickle, and the only thing to get us invested is Lil Boo, then you should be concerned. But right now, consider it a fun harmless bonus, not a harbinger of the end of times.

I get the concerns, but in their lifespan development, Universal is decades behind Disney. I don’t think a bumper sticker with Lil Boo spells disaster.

I feel like you’re describing a Bread and Circuses situation. Universal is continuing to develop lands, attractions, and a whole new park. If development ever slows to a trickle, and the only thing to get us invested is Lil Boo, then you should be concerned. But right now, consider it a fun harmless bonus, not a harbinger of the end of times.

I don't think them making mascots for christmas and halloween(arguably their two biggest seasons) is going to spread the crowds out throughout the year. There's other things doing that, but not an in house IP.

I just look at these as things to drive more merch, but that the average guest doesn't know exists or cares if they do notice.

I think it’s important to note that wasn’t what my original question was about. It started as “what’s the big picture strategy?” in terms of building a lifestyle-type fanbase…I only made comparisons to the Disney fanatics after the discussion evolved into “what’s wrong with that?”

I don’t foresee people waiting eight hours for Earl the Squirrel buttons anytime soon :lol:

Something something forest, trees…

I think it’s important to note that wasn’t what my original question was about. It started as “what’s the big picture strategy?” in terms of building a lifestyle-type fanbase…I only made comparisons to the Disney fanatics after the discussion evolved into “what’s wrong with that?”

I don’t foresee people waiting eight hours for Earl the Squirrel buttons anytime soon :lol:

Something something forest, trees…
I get your original point. And I resemble that remark lol

Last Friday, in the same day I wore Mickey ears at a WDW park, and then took an Earl plush for a photo with the meet and greet character at Universal.

Both parks got my money. I shared photos of both experiences on social media. I am your worst fears realized.

The endgame? Probably to make money and make people happy.

One final thought. The children meeting the holiday squirrel after me had no clue who he was. They were just happy to hug a fun character and the parents were happy to get photos. Removing the Disney Adult element from the equation, these types of experiences still work on their own as well. Lifestyle brand or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.