Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Edison Opening Night Review

Despite that quaint notion, there weren't a lot of older people in Mannequins on Thursday. Mostly 21-25 and definitely buying drinks.
And that same age group is what kept House of Blues to keep running club nights twice a week for almost 10 years before they stopped at Disney's request in 2015 (because CM's were coming in to work hungover), which is the most recent "club" to be open in DS.

at Disney's request in 2015 (because CM's were coming in to work hungover)
I highly doubt that was the real reason. CM's still go out and drink and they still come in hungover, they just spend their drinking money elsewhere now.

I highly doubt that was the real reason. CM's still go out and drink and they still come in hungover, they just spend their drinking money elsewhere now.
You're right, it wasn't the real reason. There was an issue serving under 21 and also a high-profile sexual assault (rape) where a woman was found in the bushes of HOB after a night of operation.

It had operated as 18+ until that happened.

Probably helped to reduce turnover though. You get drunk at Disney, do something stupid, you lose your job. Do the same at Ale House and you can still go to work the next day.

You're right, it wasn't the real reason. There was an issue serving under 21 and also a high-profile sexual assault (rape) where a woman was found in the bushes of HOB after a night of operation.

It had operated as 18+ until that happened.

I remember hearing about this.

Listen when your young, most of your income goes to booze. Most of these kids have their parents paying for their living expenses/food budget. That leaves most of the paychecks spent on partying. I remember those days fondly. LOL. Back then I could drop $100 on buying drinks for myself and others easily, and that was when most drinks were only $5, or whatever "well" special they had for the night. Some things never change.

that being said...........I just can't see the "local" crowd really wanting to go here when there are so many bars downtown, and other areas that won't be charging Disney drink prices.

I remember hearing about this.

Listen when your young, most of your income goes to booze. Most of these kids have their parents paying for their living expenses/food budget. That leaves most of the paychecks spent on partying. I remember those days fondly. LOL. Back then I could drop $100 on buying drinks for myself and others easily, and that was when most drinks were only $5, or whatever "well" special they had for the night. Some things never change.

that being said...........I just can't see the "local" crowd really wanting to go here when there are so many bars downtown, and other areas that won't be charging Disney drink prices.
That will be their biggest hurdle is building a solid local base of customers that will spend the money on the overpriced drinks and food. If they can clear that, this place will do great.

However, I expect them to have issues with the local base as you said and it'll be a place reliant on buyouts. Which is fine. Of course i'm sure they'd love to be more than that.

Could this restaurant (or others in DS) just rely entirely on tourists? Do locals really spend that much money?
When it is a restaurant, yes (which, to be fair, is most of the day). But once the 10PM 21+ kicks in (Plus $15 cover), that's when I wonder who exactly they are catering to.

When it is a restaurant, yes (which, to be fair, is most of the day). But once the 10PM 21+ kicks in (Plus $15 cover), that's when I wonder who exactly they are catering to.

I think it will do well with the early 20s tourists that are there for a bachelorette party, or wedding/ engagement party crowds. I don’t think locals will support that kind of cover charge with high drink prices. I mean this isn’t South Beach, where people pay to be seen. It’s disney , which has its own negative local stigma for most 20-30 somethings. Like someone said earlier it will be great for corporate rentals, conventions, and “special occasions” . Hope that can sustain it once the paint dries .

Could this restaurant (or others in DS) just rely entirely on tourists? Do locals really spend that much money?
Yes. The Boathouse is Top 3 in volume for restaurants Nationwide. The customers are there.

As far as too expensive for locals - it’s all about location. My restaurant is fairly expensive ($70 PPA a night) and it’s all locals, located in a neighborhood. (Baldwin Park, free drinks comes see me)

Just gotta have rich locals. Does DS have that nearby?

Yes. The Boathouse is Top 3 in volume for restaurants Nationwide. The customers are there.

As far as too expensive for locals - it’s all about location. My restaurant is fairly expensive ($70 PPA a night) and it’s all locals, located in a neighborhood. (Baldwin Park, free drinks comes see me)

Just gotta have rich locals. Does DS have that nearby?
Depends what you mean by nearby. Parts of the area surrounding Disney is poor (Kissimmee), yet some is very rich (Winter Garden, Windermere, etc). The rich areas are about a 10-15 minute drive away with other shopping/dining areas where they live though so getting people over to DS is no easy task.

Based on the report above, it looks quite nice to me, but also lacks the quirkiness of the original in LA. That doesn't mean it won't be successful, but if I had to compare the two, I'd likely prefer the LA version.

It doesn't hurt that in LA, it's entrance is sort of around the corner in an alley away from anything in particular, so it has even more of a speakeasy feel. Even if our exact LA version of the Edison were plopped in the middle of a busy mall, it sort of already loses it's authentic charm right before you even go inside.

One thing I'm curious about to those who have been to Disney Springs version... on aspect our Edison is someone what known for is it's shared bathroom sink outside the bathrooms. In other words, while the men and women do have separate bathrooms, to wash your hands after, you both exit and wash at the same circular sink located outside the bathrooms. It's quite a conversation starter. Is it the same there?

One thing I'm curious about to those who have been to Disney Springs version... on aspect our Edison is someone what known for is it's shared bathroom sink outside the bathrooms. In other words, while the men and women do have separate bathrooms, to wash your hands after, you both exit and wash at the same circular sink located outside the bathrooms. It's quite a conversation starter. Is it the same there?
Yes. Skip to 11:03 in the video.

From what i've seen, the communal sink concept made it's way into Enzo's Hideaway as well.

Last edited:
I'm a very new "local", and I don't think I'll ever come here without visitors from out of town. That being said, you can bet I'll be there when friends are in town next week to check this out.

I'm a very new "local", and I don't think I'll ever come here without visitors from out of town. That being said, you can bet I'll be there when friends are in town next week to check this out.
Definitely make sure you have a reservation, if not, you'll be ordering everything from and sitting at the bar. Place was booked solid last night. Checked it out and was interested to see how crowded it would be and how late into the night people would stay. I was pleasantly surprised at how busy it was, how nice people were dressed, and how long people stayed. It's definitely a place you want to go to with a group of friends. I think this place is bringing people out who wouldn't normally come to Disney Springs, too. Or if they were in DS before, this is now giving them (adults without children) a place to go and have a fun night out while at at WDW.

Oh, and I was doing some people watching and actively seeing people get turned away at the door, too (in case anyone is skeptical that they'd do that). Sometimes it was for something as little as having drinks from other restaurants (no outside drinks allowed) and sometimes for dress.

You won't easily find the passage way from Edison to Enzo's Hideaway. In fact I can almost guarantee you won't without having to get some sort of assistance or following someone. The doors are not marked and it looks like you shouldn't be going the way that you are until you get to the other restaurant. For those that have been, the door is on the first floor near the bathrooms.

Definitely make sure you have a reservation, if not, you'll be ordering everything from and sitting at the bar. Place was booked solid last night. Checked it out and was interested to see how crowded it would be and how late into the night people would stay. I was pleasantly surprised at how busy it was, how nice people were dressed, and how long people stayed. It's definitely a place you want to go to with a group of friends. I think this place is bringing people out who wouldn't normally come to Disney Springs, too. Or if they were in DS before, this is now giving them (adults without children) a place to go and have a fun night out while at at WDW.

Oh, and I was doing some people watching and actively seeing people get turned away at the door, too (in case anyone is skeptical that they'd do that). Sometimes it was for something as little as having drinks from other restaurants (no outside drinks allowed) and sometimes for dress.

You won't easily find the passage way from Edison to Enzo's Hideaway. In fact I can almost guarantee you won't without having to get some sort of assistance or following someone. The doors are not marked and it looks like you shouldn't be going the way that you are until you get to the other restaurant. For those that have been, the door is on the first floor near the bathrooms.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to share my thoughts with everyone if we make it out.