The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I honestly think Universal isn't announcing anything because they don't want to seem like they're trying to fight Disney. If you think about Disney promised a lot and the theatre has already been cut. Universal doesn't want to announce a bunch of stuff and then have to cut something. SNW was so close to being announced but imagine if they did already and plans changed it would look really bad on them. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more of the Disney projects get cut off. Universal will most likely announce the new potter coaster by the celebration of harry potter.
Out of 23 things they talked about or announced at D23 last year, the Theatre is and likely will be the only thing to get cut. Everything else is under construction already, with the exception of the change to the China circle-vision show.

Many of the things have opened, such as New Mission Space: Green Team, Minnie Van, Pixar Pier, Pixar Fest and Toy Story Land (remember, I said talked about, not just announced), with most of the others opening next year, including Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, SWGE, Disney Skyliner, Riviera DVC, and Space Restaurant.

Out of all of the things I mentioned above, the only things that were just "talked about" and not announced during D23 2017 were SWGE and TSL, which are both lands and drastically changed the landscape of DHS, so it's understandable. The only things announced opening beyond 2019 are Tron, GotG, DCA Marvel Land, & Ratatouille (Cruise ships too, but i'm more focusing on theme parks). So tbh, while 2020-21 may have been a bit far off for some things to be announced, it was a vast minority of the overall announcements. The vast majority of what they talked about will be open or close to it by the next D23.

That's also not taking into account that WDW will have received some things not announced at D23 within that time too ('Cars' DHS show, 'Up' replacement of Flights of Wonder, Potential new Illuminations show).

Said this in another thread, but it's kind of a weird, and also sad thought, that years from now, the last remnance of the Lost Continent will just be the Flying Unicorn (now Flight of the Hippogriff) and some parts of the old Dueling Dragon castle queue.

Out of 23 things they talked about or announced at D23 last year, the Theatre is and likely will be the only thing to get cut. Everything else is under construction already, with the exception of the change to the China circle-vision show.

Many of the things have opened, such as New Mission Space: Green Team, Minnie Van, Pixar Pier, Pixar Fest and Toy Story Land (remember, I said talked about, not just announced), with most of the others opening next year, including Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, SWGE, Disney Skyliner, Riviera DVC, and Space Restaurant.

Out of all of the things I mentioned above, the only things that were just "talked about" and not announced during D23 2017 were SWGE and TSL, which are both lands and drastically changed the landscape of DHS, so it's understandable. The only things announced opening beyond 2019 are Tron, GotG, DCA Marvel Land, & Ratatouille (Cruise ships too, but i'm more focusing on theme parks). So tbh, while 2020-21 may have been a bit far off for some things to be announced, it was a vast minority of the overall announcements. The vast majority of what they talked about will be open or close to it by the next D23.

That's also not taking into account that WDW will have received some things not announced at D23 within that time too ('Cars' DHS show, 'Up' replacement of Flights of Wonder, Potential new Illuminations show).
This highlights something everyone forgets about Disney when they do a bulk announcement like D23 - they're announcing for six parks across two resorts. Nevermind Disney's tendency to over-hype minor things (Minnie Vans, I'm looking at you).

I'm not denying D23 was impressive. It was, and it's safe to say Universal feels like they woke a sleeping giant. But Universal has to announce two things for every stateside park in order to match the volume of Disney announcing one for each of theirs.

There’s also strong rumors of a new UK ride.

Reactions: tankart150 and Nick
I'm excited about this area. I always loved the look and feel of the lost continent. But like Pandora is lacks worthy content (personal opinion). The best ride was swallowed by Potter and I'm looking forward to the new coaster. But this whole area is now ripe for a redo. Will we get a one off like Kong or will we get a land? The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: RevFreako
Said this in another thread, but it's kind of a weird, and also sad thought, that years from now, the last remnance of the Lost Continent will just be the Flying Unicorn (now Flight of the Hippogriff) and some parts of the old Dueling Dragon castle queue.

I think if Lost Continent had been built during the Comcast years instead of the end of the MCA years, it may still be a powerhouse. But they kind of out kicked their coverage in 99. Poseidon’s Fury has a few cool moments, but it’s still half baked in execution overall. Sinbad just never worked, and Merlin Woods needed a dark ride to be a lasting area.

Lost Continent needs to get lost.

Love the land, but it is VERY "dead". If they can fit an original E-Ticket concept that's an actual ride (after all, thats what people want) the land can remain the same. Poseidon's Fury can keep it's name sake but change to a PotC type ride with some Shanghai tech and Sinbad be replaced with a nicely themed family coaster in the style of Big Thunder.

As much as I want what I said above, this land will probably be Zelda or How to Train Your Dragon (which both fit).

Lost Continent needs to get lost.

Love the land, but it is VERY "dead". If they can fit an original E-Ticket concept that's an actual ride (after all, thats what people want) the land can remain the same. Poseidon's Fury can keep it's name sake but change to a PotC type ride with some Shanghai tech and Sinbad be replaced with a nicely themed family coaster in the style of Big Thunder.

As much as I want what I said above, this land will probably be Zelda or How to Train Your Dragon (which both fit).

What’s sad is that, even if we did see a LC expansion instead of a retheme, we’d never see those concepts you listed above. IOA has too many roller coasters and water rides.

It's disappointing because I really like the idea of LC. But the seams started showing the moment they changed Poseidon's Fury to the Darkenon version. It showcased a... I guess a disconnect... between what the land could be and what it was.

A big part of me would prefer the Lost Continent theme remain, just give the land a massive overall. Including the removal of PF as a walk-through. For context of what can fit (and arguable, this would go for an entire redo of the land), Transformers can fit where Sindbad sits and Cat in the Hat fits where Poseidon sits, with enough room for a flat ride in front (Storm Force used for scale). This doesn't even touch the main path or the access road. The question becomes how do you re-theme Lost Continent with rides instead of shows, especially when DisneySea has a Sindbad ride already. And you do it by beating Disney at its own game.

For the Poseidon plot, you remain true to the location with a Greek myths, only this time you build a ride based on the Trials of Hercules. This is the more thrilling ride of the two, something akin to Spider-Man only with more practical sets. It's a public domain character, and Disney hasn't done anything with him in the parks. So Universal should use him.

In the Sindbad plot, the lower-key attraction sits. Fitting in with the Mediterranean market, we join Scheherazade as she tells us the stories from 1001 Arabian Nights. Another practical attraction, this would be a trackless ride similar to Mystic Manor. The Mystic Fountain gets a retheme to BE the queue entrance as an Oracle Fountain.

It's disappointing because I really like the idea of LC. But the seams started showing the moment they changed Poseidon's Fury to the Darkenon version. It showcased a... I guess a disconnect... between what the land could be and what it was.

A big part of me would prefer the Lost Continent theme remain, just give the land a massive overall. Including the removal of PF as a walk-through. For context of what can fit (and arguable, this would go for an entire redo of the land), Transformers can fit where Sindbad sits and Cat in the Hat fits where Poseidon sits, with enough room for a flat ride in front (Storm Force used for scale). This doesn't even touch the main path or the access road. The question becomes how do you re-theme Lost Continent with rides instead of shows, especially when DisneySea has a Sindbad ride already. And you do it by beating Disney at its own game.

For the Poseidon plot, you remain true to the location with a Greek myths, only this time you build a ride based on the Trials of Hercules. This is the more thrilling ride of the two, something akin to Spider-Man only with more practical sets. It's a public domain character, and Disney hasn't done anything with him in the parks. So Universal should use him.

In the Sindbad plot, the lower-key attraction sits. Fitting in with the Mediterranean market, we join Scheherazade as she tells us the stories from 1001 Arabian Nights. Another practical attraction, this would be a trackless ride similar to Mystic Manor. The Mystic Fountain gets a retheme to BE the queue entrance as an Oracle Fountain.

Yea, the land is pretty damn big. Plenty of space for some significant changes when it is inevitably replaced. I like this plan, if there was any chance in hell for an original land of this magnitude.

Love the idea, but some executive is figuring out how to make money from it lol.

Yea, the land is pretty damn big. Plenty of space for some significant changes when it is inevitably replaced. I like this plan, if there was any chance in hell for an original land of this magnitude.

I gotta say, anyone looking for an original land out of either Disney OR Universal has a long wait for a rain that isn't coming. That kind of money will never be laid out again without an IP attached.

Disney has "Sindbad's Storybook Voyage" at DisneySea. For this land, they could go with something similar or go deeper into mythology. Any of the Greek or Roman myths would fit in well here. I'm sure that they have some IP that they could attach to it but I don't see the need. However, all of the other lands at IoA are IP-based and so they could be consistent.

Reactions: tankart150
Love the idea, but some executive is figuring out how to make money from it lol.
That's the frustrating irony. People gravitate to good rides, IPs be damn. That's always been the biggest key to Disney's success. The non-IP stuff, Haunted Mansion, (original) PotC, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, friggin PeopleMover, they succeed because they're good rides. They don't NEED the IP.

That's the frustrating irony. People gravitate to good rides, IPs be damn. That's always been the biggest key to Disney's success. The non-IP stuff, Haunted Mansion, (original) PotC, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, friggin PeopleMover, they succeed because they're good rides. They don't NEED the IP.

I think the issue now is it's not about how many people ride the rides, it's how much revenue the shops with the rides generate. Mansion and Pirates and the like only really started generating revenue in the past decade and 1/2 once Disney started to cultivate the cult fanbase around them. A new original attraction doesn't have that.

I don't agree with the line of thinking, but it is what it is.

This highlights something everyone forgets about Disney when they do a bulk announcement like D23 - they're announcing for six parks across two resorts. Nevermind Disney's tendency to over-hype minor things (Minnie Vans, I'm looking at you).

I'm not denying D23 was impressive. It was, and it's safe to say Universal feels like they woke a sleeping giant. But Universal has to announce two things for every stateside park in order to match the volume of Disney announcing one for each of theirs.

We overhype minor things too, we just don't get many minor things to hype. People are listing Voodoo Donuts here as one of the recent additions to the resort, but is anyone listing all the ridiculous new things Disney Springs has gotten recently?

Trust me. If you only had E-tickets to talk about at Disney, you'd be waiting with bated breath. The little things do matter, which is what we're lacking from Universal. Announcing closures without replacements seems like a fine idea to some, but also doesn't inspire much confidence in others. When you're planning a vacation over the next year or even renewing an annual pass, you gotta look at what's in store for the future.

Last edited: