The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is management really that bad? The parks seem to be moving forward quite will...Someone please elaborate on this, I am interested

The most concise way I’ve had it explained to me is that management cut its teeth in the lean years, and continues to manage the resort like an independent Mom and Pop Park (which is basically was during the end of the Blackstone era) rather than the world class destination it’s become. Constantly afraid the floor is gonna drop out from under them. They’re too skittish to really do what needs to be done to push the resort to the next level.

Is management really that bad? The parks seem to be moving forward quite will...Someone please elaborate on this, I am interested

Yes. It's hard to elaborate specifically. But they basically get away with a lot because the resort is a cash cow. God forbid we actually hit tough times, and not just miss their pointless and unscientific estimates, because they'd be in real tough shape. They desperately lack outside knowledge and expirence. You'll hear things like Jaws Mafia, and other phrases that describe the old boys club that has risen to the top in most areas. Accountability is nowhere to be found, and they constantly make decisions that sacrifice long term gains for short term goals.

Creative though... Whole different management team and different story. Still can't hit a timeline or budget to save their life... But maybe that's just the business :lol:

The most concise way I’ve had it explained to me is that management cut its teeth in the lean years, and continues to manage the resort like an independent Mom and Pop Park (which is basically was during the end of the Blackstone era) rather than the world class destination it’s become. Constantly afraid the floor is gonna drop out from under them. They’re too skittish to really do what needs to be done to push the resort to the next level.

Well said. They overmanage the tiniest details because they pinch pennies in the wrong places, and end up missing huge problems staring them in the face.

I don’t understand. You just returned from there saying that everything was tip-top. What could the next level possibly be when you are at the top of heap already? Walt Disney World?

Maintenance wise? Yea, everything looks good.

They still have bush league operations. They still don’t have a competent team running the parking situation. The transportation hub is a nightmare and legitimately dangerous at the end of the day. They still haven’t done anything to try and solve Volcano Bay’s operation issues because someone decided TapuTapu is more important than a functioning theme park.

Basically the same things I was thinking. Management actually did a good job to survive under the former draconian ownership groups. That said, they've not adapted to their new found status and situation. It seems like they're still making decisions like Vivendi/Seagrams/GE/Blackstone are running things. Comcast is a company that looks to the long range aggressively more than short range goals, which is a novelty in today's corporate boardrooms, but it has served Comcast well. The present operational management needs to change their old ways, the old ways are not needed anymore. Unfortunately, they (present execs.) may be too dinosaur to change. In that case, move on to your life's work (as Chuck Noll coach of the Steelers used to say when veteran players were past their prime).

Do you think UO management is to blame for our current screenz situation? Or a clash of Creative wanting to do more and management saying know

Also, I am hopeful that they are building a new park...Comcast also seems aggressive enough to make replacements

Do you think UO management is to blame for our current screenz situation? Or a clash of Creative wanting to do more and management saying know

Also, I am hopeful that they are building a new park...Comcast also seems aggressive enough to make replacements

No. The screens thing is just how UC was designing their attractions at the time.

Maintenance wise? Yea, everything looks good.

They still have bush league operations. They still don’t have a competent team running the parking situation. The transportation hub is a nightmare and legitimately dangerous at the end of the day. They still haven’t done anything to try and solve Volcano Bay’s operation issues because someone decided TapuTapu is more important than a functioning theme park.

To be fair, the TapuTapu is one of the only things that makes the park different. You’d have to completely redo the interactive elements, queues, and marketing scheme if you got rid of it, which would force the park to close for a couple of weeks, plus the possible media backlash due to false advertisement. It’s a no-win situation for Universal.

Reactions: Andysol
To be fair, the TapuTapu is one of the only things that makes the park different. You’d have to completely redo the interactive elements, queues, and marketing scheme if you got rid of it, which would force the park to close for a couple of weeks, plus the possible media backlash due to false advertisement. It’s a no-win situation for Universal.

People don't give a crap about different if it makes the park miserable for them.

Plus they can turn the TapuTapu off any time. Doesn't necessitate a closure.

Reactions: SeventyOne
People don't give a crap about different if it makes the park miserable for them.

IMO, the TapuTapu system can stay..... but it can’t be used for the rides. It’s still a great idea when used on interactive features and food/merchandise/photo purposes. And the expansion needs to be prepared to accommodate long lines ahead of time, instead of just having the queues snake out onto the main pathways.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I must step in to remind everyone that Universal Creative with Mark Woodbury at the head brought you F&F... twice. And as I understand it, Mr. Woodbury has the final say on everything... other than Potter.

No ones infallible. I’d never pretend that Creative doesn’t have issues of their own.

Overall, their issues bother me a lot less than what I often see operationally at UOR.

The show wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy the pyro and terrible jokes - including the plug for Fast and Furious. I'm glad I saw it this past weekend while in the park.

That said, I'm always excited for any change. Sure, we'll lose this show without an announced plan, but I'm sure there is one. I feel like it's just as bad of a decision financially to leave a poor performing show running as it is to have unused space in a theme park, so my guess is a plan is in place (even if unannounced) and something great will follow eventually as others have stated above.

I must step in to remind everyone that Universal Creative with Mark Woodbury at the head brought you F&F... twice. And as I understand it, Mr. Woodbury has the final say on everything... other than Potter.
Wasn't he around for IOA? Who was directing at that time?

It's evident that Theiry and Woodbury have some infatuation with Spiderman

Sure, that stuff can definitely stay, I agree.
But would the lines be shorter? Or would everything just back up to 2 hour lines everywhere? I mean if TapuTapu is putting you in a virtual queue for 2 hours, and everything else is an hour, why would all that disappear? Where would the people go?

But would the lines be shorter? Or would everything just back up to 2 hour lines everywhere? I mean if TapuTapu is putting you in a virtual queue for 2 hours, and everything else is an hour, why would all that disappear? Where would the people go?

Dunno what the lines would look like. Can’t tell without trying.

But it would give people a *choice* they lack now. People may not love waiting in line, but they hate being told they don’t even have the option more. TapuTapu takes away that choice.