Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

Yes, let's all rejoice in the hundreds if not thousands of people that this show used to eat up who will now be spread out into the lines for attractions we DO want to experience.
But this show wasn't eating people. If what @Alicia says about only 1600 per day is correct and Fear Factor doing thousands more (and I believe it to be true based on what i've seen with my own two eyes as far as crowd size), the show was only averaging about 533 per show based on 3 shows per day which is what it has been doing. Fear Factor on the other hand does 4 shows per day when running, so it has an advantage in show count to get more people in, but not enough to make up for several THOUSAND.

Let's theoretically say that FFL pulls 3500 per day. Divide by 4 and FFL is pulling 875 per show. So not only is FFL pulling more people per show, it costs less to run since guests ARE the show, whereas Sindbad is equity. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which show needs to go more at that point.

But this show wasn't eating people. If what @Alicia says about only 1600 per day is correct and Fear Factor doing thousands more (and I believe it to be true based on what i've seen with my own two eyes as far as crowd size), the show was only averaging about 533 per show based on 3 shows per day which is what it has been doing. Fear Factor on the other hand does 4 shows per day when running, so it has an advantage in show count to get more people in, but not enough to make up for several THOUSAND.

Let's theoretically say that FFL pulls 3500 per day. Divide by 4 and FFL is pulling 875 per show. So not only is FFL pulling more people per show, it costs less to run since guests ARE the show, whereas Sindbad is equity. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which show needs to go more at that point.
I think a good portion of the difference between Sindbad and FF is location. You pretty much have to know there is a show back there but FF is out for all to see. Both shows suck but I have sat by the fountain and heard people asking where the show was.
The LC vibe is hidden spaces but that really won't work for people with their nose stuck in a cell phone. Have to make it easy for them.

Plus, it seems like Universal is moving more towards the street performance angle...Minus, of course, Bourne

Plus, it seems like Universal is moving more towards the street performance angle...Minus, of course, Bourne
I'd like to see some street performers in IOA (in addition to the Hogsmeade shows). I recall the first year I took Alene to IOA back in 2011, they had a really good drum show in Jurassic Park...As a side note, they picked Alene as a volunteer for their audience participation role. She was so good, former high school band girl, they asked her to play the entire next show with them. She was so excited they asked her to play the whole set that she still talks about that to this day.

Last edited:
So my optimism is waning....

I get Universal likes to be tight lipped and secretive in its projects but there is a breaking point when people say screw it let’s go with the people who have a plan.

I have fallen in love with all things Universal the last few years but have seen a real slow down in their additions. It’s almost as if they have lost a direction to go.

Some have pointed to the D23 expo of 2017 as a part of the blame. Well maybe a little bit of adjusting but let’s get this straight Disney makes massive announcements for its parks and your response to this is halt everything. SLOP(delayed), SNW(delayed and moved), MoM(delayed), Jurassic Park Expansion(delayed), hell you even delayed F&F a 6+ months which we now no was not for enhancements but rather you had nothing else to open this year.

2019 you have the Potter coaster, which is a great addition, and was already in the works before D23 but what else. A show(Bourne?) that at this rate wouldn’t be surprised if its delayed for 2020. And a hotel off site. Whoa killing it.

2020 another hotel off site.

And nada......2021,2022,2023?

You literally have your competition going apeshit and you just sitting idle.

Disneyworld Resort
2017 pandora
2018 TSL
2019SW:GE, MMRR, new Gondola transportation system, new cars show
2020 R:KC, GOTG coaster, new hotel(DVC)
2021 50th celebration(MK), TRON light cycle, SW hotel
2022 Epcot 40th, Brazilian Showcase

This doesn’t include other rumors for possible IJ land, Tomorrowland update, etc. and the continuing expansions of DisneySprings.

You can try and make the argument that Universal is building a new resort and all but with all that Disney is doing I don’t see it being enough. If Universal sits for years it will be a downfall for the parks. Not only will attendance stagnate but probably decrease with families choosing to spend extra time at Disney with all their new attractions. Revenue now drops, hotels struggle to fill rooms, spending hits a low.

A new resort is not going to be a fix all for attendance and revenue. It takes time for brand new mega resorts to make back the investment but on top of that if nothing has changed at the original resort what’s the incentive to go there at all. In reality attendance at the new park will just pull the attendance at the original park even lower as families decide to see the new and ignore the parks that have nothing but the same old stuff to offer.

This is the same for Hollywood as well they ripped out sounstages and nothing. Ripped out a restaurant with prime real estate and nothing. Ripped out the globe theater and nothing. But hey Vivo opened in city walk get excited.

There is a point at which point people will lose interest. “Well if we announce a project to soon people will skip us until the new attraction opens” maybe but at least they are planning for you. Right now your just not getting people excited with nothing but hey check out the new hotel we are opening(2018) and the new hotel next year(2019) and the new hotel the year after (2020).

But don’t fret people we are shutting shows down to save money and with nothing to go in its place. So on top of nothing new we get to be reminded with an empty eyesore that there is space but you just don’t care enough.

I’ll try and remain optimistic but it’s getting difficult with the last year of nothing but hotels and crickets(HP and T23D replacement were already in the works).

Also remember this, if D23 caused the delays to begin with what happens after D23 2019 tickets are on sale now.

Sorry was just need vent lol, I’m done.

So my optimism is waning....

I get Universal likes to be tight lipped and secretive in its projects but there is a breaking point when people say screw it let’s go with the people who have a plan.

I have fallen in love with all things Universal the last few years but have seen a real slow down in their additions. It’s almost as if they have lost a direction to go.

Some have pointed to the D23 expo of 2017 as a part of the blame. Well maybe a little bit of adjusting but let’s get this straight Disney makes massive announcements for its parks and your response to this is halt everything. SLOP(delayed), SNW(delayed and moved), MoM(delayed), Jurassic Park Expansion(delayed), hell you even delayed F&F a 6+ months which we now no was not for enhancements but rather you had nothing else to open this year.

2019 you have the Potter coaster, which is a great addition, and was already in the works before D23 but what else. A show(Bourne?) that at this rate wouldn’t be surprised if its delayed for 2020. And a hotel off site. Whoa killing it.

2020 another hotel off site.

And nada......2021,2022,2023?

You literally have your competition going apeshit and you just sitting idle.

Disneyworld Resort
2017 pandora
2018 TSL
2019SW:GE, MMRR, new Gondola transportation system, new cars show
2020 R:KC, GOTG coaster, new hotel(DVC)
2021 50th celebration(MK), TRON light cycle, SW hotel
2022 Epcot 40th, Brazilian Showcase

This doesn’t include other rumors for possible IJ land, Tomorrowland update, etc. and the continuing expansions of DisneySprings.

You can try and make the argument that Universal is building a new resort and all but with all that Disney is doing I don’t see it being enough. If Universal sits for years it will be a downfall for the parks. Not only will attendance stagnate but probably decrease with families choosing to spend extra time at Disney with all their new attractions. Revenue now drops, hotels struggle to fill rooms, spending hits a low.

A new resort is not going to be a fix all for attendance and revenue. It takes time for brand new mega resorts to make back the investment but on top of that if nothing has changed at the original resort what’s the incentive to go there at all. In reality attendance at the new park will just pull the attendance at the original park even lower as families decide to see the new and ignore the parks that have nothing but the same old stuff to offer.

This is the same for Hollywood as well they ripped out sounstages and nothing. Ripped out a restaurant with prime real estate and nothing. Ripped out the globe theater and nothing. But hey Vivo opened in city walk get excited.

There is a point at which point people will lose interest. “Well if we announce a project to soon people will skip us until the new attraction opens” maybe but at least they are planning for you. Right now your just not getting people excited with nothing but hey check out the new hotel we are opening(2018) and the new hotel next year(2019) and the new hotel the year after (2020).

But don’t fret people we are shutting shows down to save money and with nothing to go in its place. So on top of nothing new we get to be reminded with an empty eyesore that there is space but you just don’t care enough.

I’ll try and remain optimistic but it’s getting difficult with the last year of nothing but hotels and crickets(HP and T23D replacement were already in the works).

Also remember this, if D23 caused the delays to begin with what happens after D23 2019 tickets are on sale now.

Sorry was just need vent lol, I’m done.

If you want to get technical..
USH (Theme Park)
2015 - Springfield, USH Supercharged, Nighttime Studio Tour
2016 - Hogsmeade (FJ/Hippo), TWDA
2017 - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts
2018 - DreamWorks Theater (Kung Fu Panda), Animation Studio Store (and other additions)
2019 - Jurassic World

USH (CW)
2015 - ET Parking Structure
2016 - Ludobird
2017 - Universal Cinema, Margaritaville, Voodoo Doughnuts, Menchies, Mini Monster, Poke Bar
2018 - Sephora, Nectar Bath Treats, Vivos Italian Kitchen
2015 - Hello Kitty, GrillBrew
2016 - Kong, HulkRefurb, Sapphire, Toothsome
2017 - Fallon, Volcano Bay, CB Expansion, Holiday Revamp
2018 - Drupercharged, CineCele, Nighttime Lights, Adventura, Voodoo
2019 - Hogsmeade Expansion, T2 Replacement, Phase One of Endless Summer Resort
2020 - Phase Two of Endless Summer Resort
2016 - The Flying Dinosaur
2017 - Minion Park/Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
2018 - Universal Spectacle, Freeze Ray Sliders, Curious George, WaterWorld Enhancements
2020 - Super Nintendo World

To say that Universal Parks & Resorts isn't doing anything, is IMO a false statement. They have a LOT on their plate, and especially considering the upcoming UOSouth and Universal Beijing; it's unfair for people to call them not doing anything.

Last edited:
If you want to get technical..
USH (Theme Park)
2015 - Springfield, USH Supercharged, Nighttime Studio Tour
2016 - Hogsmeade (FJ/Hippo), TWDA
2017 - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts
2018 - DreamWorks Theater (Kung Fu Panda), Animation Studio Store (and other additions)
2019 - Jurassic World

USH (CW)
2015 - ET Parking Structure
2016 - Ludobird
2017 - Universal Cinema, Margaritaville, Voodoo Doughnuts, Menchies, Mini Monster, Poke Bar
2018 - Sephora, Nectar Bath Treats, Vivos Italian Kitchen
2015 - Hello Kitty, GrillBrew
2016 - Kong, HulkRefurb, Sapphire, Toothsome
2017 - Fallon, Volcano Bay, CB Expansion
2018 - Drupercharged, CineCele, Nighttime Lights, Adventura
2019 - Hogsmeade Expansion, T2 Replacement, Phase One of Endless Summer Resort
2020 - Phase Two of Endless Summer Resort
2016 - The Flying Dinosaur
2017 - Minion Park/Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
2018 - Universal Spectacle, Freeze Ray Sliders
2020 - Super Nintendo World

To say that Universal Parks & Resorts isn't doing anything, is IMO a false statement. They have a LOT on their plate, and especially considering the upcoming UOSouth and Universal Beijing; it's unfair for people to call them not doing anything.
You forgot Voodoo, the Potter Castle show and new Macy's Parade.

Keen eye on Macys/Voodoo for Orlando, but I did put the Castle Show for both. ;)

That said, fixed that; and that doesn't disprove my point.

They are having a huge amount of growth with UPR in general, and that I don't think we need to get concerned right now.
Sorry, I missed the castle shows.

But yeah, Uni isn't coasting.

One of my favorite additions was Honk Honkers gourmet cotton candy. I know it is extremely minor, but I really like it.

I think the point Moose84 was making (more forcefully than I would, I should say) was more about the next several years, not the previous several years. Disney has a whole slate of announced attractions coming to the WDW parks (arguably their most ambitious slate since the late 1980s/early 1990s in terms of number of new things), while Universal has a whole slate of rumored attractions that - apparently - keep getting shuffled to the backburner.

As such, I understand the frustration, especially if Universal's most recent park attractions haven't been your cup of tea.

Sorry, I missed the castle shows.

But yeah, Uni isn't coasting.

One of my favorite additions was Honk Honkers gourmet cotton candy. I know it is extremely minor, but I really like it.

Agreed, both Universal and Disney are going full steam ahead on what's next for their futures; and just because things are seeming to be coasting now, they really aren't.

To me, I get the feeling that LC is just being held off for the right time. They probably have a good idea of what to do now; but they may be wanting to hold off until the proper time.

I think the point Moose84 was making (more forcefully than I would, I should say) was more about the next several years, not the previous several years. Disney has a whole slate of announced attractions coming to the WDW parks (arguably their most ambitious slate since the late 1980s/early 1990s in terms of number of new things), while Universal has a whole slate of rumored attractions that - apparently - keep getting shuffled to the backburner.

As such, I understand the frustration, especially if Universal's most recent park attractions haven't been your cup of tea.

I would argue that Disney announces things too early, while Universal is so unsure of themselves that they hold off until either a year or half a year to the completion date of an attraction or addition.

The hotels, being exceptions; because of booking.

I honestly think Universal isn't announcing anything because they don't want to seem like they're trying to fight Disney. If you think about Disney promised a lot and the theatre has already been cut. Universal doesn't want to announce a bunch of stuff and then have to cut something. SNW was so close to being announced but imagine if they did already and plans changed it would look really bad on them. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more of the Disney projects get cut off. Universal will most likely announce the new potter coaster by the celebration of harry potter.