The Fate of the Furious (2017) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Fate of the Furious (2017)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's reminding me of 2015 in that It will likely be Universal and Disney going back and forth all year with blockbuster after blockbuster from this point. For example the next big movie after F&F is GotG 2, then you have the animated movies from Illumination and Pixar over the summer, etc, etc.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Disney has a way stronger line-up for the rest of the year. The only way Universal could have competed is if JW2 was this year. But it looks like they'll be a strong #2, as usual. :popcorn:

Reactions: Andysol
Disney has a way stronger line-up for the rest of the year. The only way Universal could have competed is if JW2 was this year. But it looks like they'll be a strong #2, as usual. :popcorn:

Again this year has been weird on the domestic front. Split, Get out, Boss Baby, Fifty Shades Darker, and Hidden Figures all overperformed while others who expected to do better didn't do as well as people expected (Lego Batman). Fast and Furious overperformed overseas while barely meeting expectations stateside. Beauty and the Beast was on par with tracking. Universal and Fox's advantage has been going up with unique alternative programming for crowded weekends.

This summer is already really crowded. Guardians is safe due to the fact no high tracking films are coming out for two weeks after it opens. But the rest of the summer is gonna hurt for all studios as everyone will cannibalized themselves and other studios until September.

Again this year has been weird on the domestic front. Split, Get out, Boss Baby, Fifty Shades Darker, and Hidden Figures all overperformed while others who expected to do better didn't do as well as people expected (Lego Batman). Fast and Furious overperformed overseas while barely meeting expectations stateside. Beauty and the Beast was on par with tracking. Universal and Fox's advantage has been going up with unique alternative programming for crowded weekends.

This summer is already really crowded. Guardians is safe due to the fact no high tracking films are coming out for two weeks after it opens. But the rest of the summer is gonna hurt for all studios as everyone will cannibalized themselves and other studios until September.
To your point about Summer being crowded, I feel like Pirates 5 has a chance of bombing due to that. Of course the film franchise has been known to do huge numbers overseas, so probably not.

Reactions: Andysol
To your point about Summer being crowded, I feel like Pirates 5 has a chance of bombing due to that. Of course the film franchise has been known to do huge numbers overseas, so probably not.
I think POTC will do very well. Disney's done a stellar job with marketing so far, and it helps that the movie has good reactions from Cinemacon.

The only other sure thing Universal has this year is Despicable Me 3. The Mummy could easily flop. Disney still has GOTG2, Pirates, Cars 3, Thor, Coco, and Star Wars.

The only other sure thing Universal has this year is Despicable Me 3. The Mummy could easily flop. Disney still has GOTG2, Pirates, Cars 3, Thor, Coco, and Star Wars.

The Mummy, will depend on the critical response in my own thought-point.

Outside of The Mummy and DM3, there is Pitch Perfect 3; Atomic Blonde; Insidious 4; and I would even say The Book of Henry.

I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Uni has way more than just Despicable Me. The biggest reason why Uni has been doing so good this year is because they have been focused internationally not solely domestic. People have very much underestimated Universal in what they are capable of (Cough Cough Sing). The Mummy will not flop in Asia. Tom Cruise is really really really popular over here. One thing you also have to remember is Universal has other studios distributing films their companies produced (Baby Driver, Captain Underpants being two big ones). Also Universal's Symphony program (Their synergy) has proven to work extremely well as they used it for all the films they distributed but one (guess what it is).

Cars 3 and POTC 5 are Disney's two most vulnerable films due to the fact they are so close together and have so many alternative programs to come up against. Also their international promotions at least in Korea/Japan have not been strong.

I don't know, I'd say there's a decent chance WB ends up second for the year. After June, Universal has very little left. WB still has Dunkirk, It, Ninjago, Blade Runner, and Justice League; all Uni has is Pitch Perfect and smaller films.

Reactions: UNIrd
Let's also remember that the real success on a film is something called bottom line profit. When the small budget movies make big profits, in addition to big budget tent poles, that's a very telling point. Profits can get reinvested, losses not so much. The true number rating of a Studio is the total profits generated in a year, not attendance. Universal has a real good start for a second place finish since their small films have done so well.

Went to see the film the weekend and have to say its one of the most Ridiculous film seen in a while (probably since the last fast and furious) but at the same time enjoyable. Jason Statham and the baby scene stole the film for me (which is a sentence I didnt think I would ever say).