The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Actually, you'd be surprised. While I'm going on almost 10-year-old experience as a Lead Cook at both restaurants and a lot has changed since (primarily the all-you-can-eat deal that Comic Strip participates in), we used to outsell Mythos and most every other restaurant at IOA. Oak and Strip would jockey month to month for the top spot.

In fact, despite higher menu prices, wine, beer and liquor availability and the generally more affluent clientele Mythos attracts, it generally was more middle of the pack. A counter service restaurant can serve 10 or more families in the same time it takes to turnover one table in a sit-down, so volume sales are in play. Second, Mythos' already short operating hours are often further-shortened by the number of catering events held there. Finally, despite all of the great food we created, do you know what most people ordered? The burger, chicken sandwich and pizza.

Regarding the prospect of Wonka coming, count me in the group not thrilled. Everything about it sounds redundant when compared to WWoHP.

Well, I stand corrected. Thank you for the very valuable insight.

(I'll stand by that Comic Strip Cafe has the least interesting decor of the Islands restaurants, IMO - but that says nothing about the food!)

WW, who could that be? Woodrow Wilson? Willy Wonka? .....Walter White? Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

In all seriousness, if a Willy Wonka land happens and replaces Lost Continent I'm all for it. Every since Potter came the land has been a dud outside of Mythos (and some can argue Posiden's), and with a franchise as timeless as Willy Wonka everyone is sure to love it. Plus, imagine all the candy :drool:

I just love the theming of The Lost Continent too much. I also love Mythos, and I do enjoy Posedion's Fury. I can't speak for Sindbad, because I haven't experienced it, and I don't plan to. I also love the Mystic Fountain. This land could truly be great, and I much prefer the theming and atmosphere of it over Toon Lagoon.

And yes, Comic Strip Cafe has terrible decor. The outside seating is pathetic, and has a horrible view of backstage areas and the unused theater.

As interesting as Wonka would be, colorful and vibrant, plus great for food & beverage opportunities, I do not want it (or anything) to take over LC. I'd just rather they fix the current LC.

LC is one of my favorite lands aesthetically, and it has Mythos which shares the #1 spot with Three Broomsticks for my favorite restaurant. I just wish they would re-do the whole interiors and shows of Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad. And in addition, if they could squeeze a small ride somewhere in here (even if they had to reconfigure the layout a bit), this would be a strong land again. I love HP, but it neutered LC. Now this land needs some help to grow another pair, it does not need to be euthanized...

I actually don't like the first movie and never watched the second one. But I still think this might make for an interesting LC replacement. I mean LC looks cool and all, but with the tech they have now, they really could do something even cooler and have more rides and things to do. Because if you have been to IOA ever, LC is a walk thru. It needs something in it that people want to see/ride again not just once and done.

One thing about Wonka (to me), is I wonder if it is wise to have another candy store over there. Seuss and Potter have them so it just seems a little overkill to me.

I certainly hope they don't have folks licking the wall paper or jumping into (trying to drink) the rivers. :smiley:

Just catching up on all this Wonka speculation, and I actually dig it. I loved the original movie, and like most of you guys, hope that this gets themed to the Gene Wilder classic, not the Tim Burton freakshow. There's quite a bit of potential with a chocolate river ferry ride, glass elevator, candy land/play area, etc. While it's obviously very far away, I'd like to see this happen.

I've said numerous times that the Lost Continent was, and still partially is, my favorite land in IOA. However, since Potter took a major bite out of it, it's always just seemed like the LC is a shell of it's former self. I still love the Greek-themed portion, but I feel it's time has come. Poseidon's Fury has been underutilized for the longest time. Why they haven't put in a dark/boat ride is mind-boggling. The exterior of Poseidon's Fury is some of the greatest themeing in any theme park, and it kills me to see it go. But if Uni is capable of demolishing the Enchanted Oak, destroying Dueling Dragons' amazing entrance, Poseidon's Fury and Mythos are certainly not untouchable. I am going to hated on for this, but I won't miss Mythos. I've been to IOA a few hundred times, and have only eaten there once. I enjoy the theme, but I am simply not a big fan of dine-in restaurants in theme parks. Have, and always will be a quick service guy.

Just catching up on all this Wonka speculation, and I actually dig it. I loved the original movie, and like most of you guys, hope that this gets themed to the Gene Wilder classic, not the Tim Burton freakshow. There's quite a bit of potential with a chocolate river ferry ride, glass elevator, candy land/play area, etc. While it's obviously very far away, I'd like to see this happen.

I've said numerous times that the Lost Continent was, and still partially is, my favorite land in IOA. However, since Potter took a major bite out of it, it's always just seemed like the LC is a shell of it's former self. I still love the Greek-themed portion, but I feel it's time has come. Poseidon's Fury has been underutilized for the longest time. Why they haven't put in a dark/boat ride is mind-boggling. The exterior of Poseidon's Fury is some of the greatest themeing in any theme park, and it kills me to see it go. But if Uni is capable of demolishing the Enchanted Oak, destroying Dueling Dragons' amazing entrance, Poseidon's Fury and Mythos are certainly not untouchable. I am going to hated on for this, but I won't miss Mythos. I've been to IOA a few hundred times, and have only eaten there once. I enjoy the theme, but I am simply not a big fan of dine-in restaurants in theme parks. Have, and always will be a quick service guy.

You KNOW they won't do the classic. It will be the bastardization that is the Tim Burton version. But regardless, I think it'd be cheesy and awful. I do not see Wonka as a great adventure. LC is an AMAZING area. Its just time that they use the space better. Sinbad can go and they can rebuild the Poseidon soundstage. I am in no rush to get rid of my favorite area. I hope they burn the bazaar to the ground though. It always smells like a third world country too.

LC is an AMAZING area. Its just time that they use the space better. Sinbad can go and they can rebuild the Poseidon soundstage. I am in no rush to get rid of my favorite area. I hope they burn the bazaar to the ground though. It always smells like a third world country too.

I see we agree on Sinbad and PF. As far as the bazaar, I don't hate it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it modified or gone. They could move the magic show shop to Citywalk and free up that space, reconfigure the bazaar area stores, and make way for a (or a couple?) small family ride(s) here. That together with all new PF and Sinbad shows, and they'd revitalize this area in a way that would make it relevant again.

Something to think about with the idea of food and beverage places in a Wonka land. The WWOHP and more recently Springfield have worked as well as they have partially due to the fact that they're beloved locations. People have seen themselves inside Hogs Head Pub or Moe's. Yeah, people know the chocolate factory but what about beyond that? I think you'd end up with a glorified candy store and a few shoehorned restaurants or counter services. Certainly nothing on the level of Mythos or I'd even argue FFB.

You KNOW they won't do the classic. It will be the bastardization that is the Tim Burton version. But regardless, I think it'd be cheesy and awful. I do not see Wonka as a great adventure. LC is an AMAZING area. Its just time that they use the space better. Sinbad can go and they can rebuild the Poseidon soundstage. I am in no rush to get rid of my favorite area. I hope they burn the bazaar to the ground though. It always smells like a third world country too.

Or maybe it would be an original vision based on the books since IOA is a literature based park :wave: :lol: but I really think either they should put in Wonka or rework the bazaar, Sinbad and Poseidon. If they put a new show in Sinbad's stadium, put a dark ride with boats inside Poseidon, a flat ride in the bazaar area, with Mythos and Mystic Fountain in tact... the land could be relevant again. But since Wonka's so popular, I could definitely see LC being demoed

I love how the word "irrelevant" is thrown around like "the" around here.

Wonka is still a classic book and movie most at least know about.

I don't believe they are thinking about the subject 3 dimensionally. It may be "irrelevant" to their own lives, but Wonka does have strong branding and incredible food/merchandising possibilities. Plus the fact that one does not need to be in love with the IP to enjoy the rides/area. Again imagine what the current Uni could do with the Wonka IP.

I also wanted to note that Jaws, Earthquake, Kong, T2, etc. were all "irrelevant" when they made the corresponding rides. It is not just about making rides based on the latest movies, blending in strong classic IPs is an important part. That is not limited to USF either. The characters of Toon Lagoon were "irrelevant" many many years even before they thought of building IoA. Dr. Seuss' characters ended up becoming popular again after the park opened, I would not say his works were "irrelevant" before then but not as popular as other times.

Last edited:
This is not a rumor or anything, just wishful thinking. I just watched the first Percy Jackson film a couple of days ago and that could be an interesting concept to incorporate. It Harry Potter-esque and has a lot of fun with Greek God mythology. That way that could still keep the feel of that area but change a few things.

Meh. I'd much rather have Oz. It's more relevant and is actually a world as opposed to Wonka, which takes place inside the factory. Seeing the Emerald City brought to life would be amazing and definitely ease the sting of losing PF's fantastic themeing.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not a rumor or anything, just wishful thinking. I just watched the first Percy Jackson film a couple of days ago and that could be an interesting concept to incorporate. It Harry Potter-esque and has a lot of fun with Greek God mythology. That way that could still keep the feel of that area but change a few things.

I love the books but the movies are just abysmal IMO. Plus the second one just bombed at the BO so I doubt we'll be seeing any more sequels thus killing the franchise.

I think Uni should go through with 'Wonka-Land' there are so many things that they could recreate that would be cool to see and experience in real life, more so the original and not the re-release a few years ago. It wouldn't be enough per say for me to make a trip just for that (2500 miles away) but I would definitely check it out every time I was there. It's not so much irrelevant, as it would bring some nostalgia if that's the right word to some people who were fond of the movies young and old, IMO at least.