The Great Metal Detector Debate | Inside Universal Forums

The Great Metal Detector Debate

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How do you feel about Metal Detectors?

• Total voters

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
So after a couple weeks at HRRR, the detectors are now being implemented at Dragon's Challenge and Hulk.

Thoughts? Is it good, bad? Feel indifferent?

I understand why they're doing it, but the method they've chosen to do it is crazy. It looks like a TSA madhouse as opposed to a theme park roller coaster queue.

Bad. We were planning on going next weekend but we'll wait awhile until they find a way to streamline this mess. I understand the purpose, but it would make more sense if they had something equivalent to the magic bands first so you didn't need wallets to spend a day at the park.

It looks ridiculous, it looks worse than TSA who now has precheck lines everywhere to prevent that madness.

It's a ride, it's supposed to be a theme park where you can go and have fun and immerse yourself in a different world. People are paying lots of money for that type of experience? I'll pass.

Honestly, it can be good and bad. Good in the sense that people will be a lot more safe (and a man can dream that DC will duel again) but bad in that a locker is now required for the major rides. I can deal either way in that I don't carry much around the parks. When I do go I typically have someone with me that doesn't ride so I can leave my things with them.

I'm pretty confident in saying these will probably be temporary until they find another option. Whatever though it's not that big of a deal anyways, you'll still get on the ride and have a blast riding it, this is just a minor annoyance beforehand. I don't even go on these rides anymore so I have no reason to complain anyways lol

Interesting. Which ride?

Dragons. I marvel at this occurance considering how little of the track passes over guest area.

- - - Updated - - -

In all honesty, I think they need more netting to stop this from happening before the metal detectors.

I'm for trying anything that might provide a solution. Smaller items (i.e. pocket knives) might pose a problem with nets, no?

Dragons. I marvel at this occurance considering how little of the track passes over guest area.

Dragons is actually the one place this almost happened to me. Near the exit, one of the tracks whips by the path. Someone's phone (an old, Nokia brick phone) whipped out and shattered on the walkway in front of me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm for trying anything that might provide a solution. Smaller items (i.e. pocket knives) might pose a problem with nets, no?

Yea, that's a whole different situation. I honestly don't have a problem with detectors at the front of the park to keep things like that from entering.

Dragons is actually the one place this almost happened to me. Near the exit, one of the tracks whips by the path. Someone's phone (an old, Nokia brick phone) whipped out and shattered on the walkway in front of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, that's a whole different situation. I honestly don't have a problem with detectors at the front of the park to keep things like that from entering.

A Nokia? I bet it shattered the ground around it too..

I hope these are temporary and the new netting is on the way (not saying there is, I'm just hoping)...

These detectors look very unprofessional and make a bad impression on guests that don't know any better, cheapens the guest experience too

I know they are concerned about safety, but when it starts breaking down the guest experience, something else needs to be figured out..

I do not believe UO would implement a costly, inconvenient, frustrating process (for both guests and employees) unless there was an injury or an in-progress lawsuit. UO doesn’t enjoy making everyone’s life miserable.

Selfie sticks are something that coaster designers could not have predicted back in the late 1990’s when these coasters were built. A collapsible, concealable pole that can be extended during the ride, and that reaches outside the ride envelope, presents a tremendous danger.

I assume this is a stop-gap measure until a lawsuit is settled. Although metal detectors can’t detect ALL selfie sticks, it’s important that UO demonstrates that it is temporarily making a best effort to protect guests during a litigation process until things are settled. I’ve seen similar knee-jerk reactions in the past when “incidents” have occurred (no spinning on MIB! Only 4 people per RV on Ripsaw!).

The above is all conjecture and not based on any insider info.

I do not believe UO would implement a costly, inconvenient, frustrating process (for both guests and employees) unless there was an injury or an in-progress lawsuit. UO doesn’t enjoy making everyone’s life miserable.

Selfie sticks are something that coaster designers could not have predicted back in the late 1990’s when these coasters were built. A collapsible, concealable pole that can be extended during the ride, and that reaches outside the ride envelope, presents a tremendous danger.

I assume this is a stop-gap measure until a lawsuit is settled. Although metal detectors can’t detect ALL selfie sticks, it’s important that UO demonstrates that it is temporarily making a best effort to protect guests during a litigation process until things are settled. I’ve seen similar knee-jerk reactions in the past when “incidents” have occurred (no spinning on MIB! Only 4 people per RV on Ripsaw!).

The above is all conjecture and not based on any insider info.

Selfie sticks are definitely not the problem here. It's phones.

I understand why they're doing it, but the method they've chosen to do it is crazy. It looks like a TSA madhouse as opposed to a theme park roller coaster queue.

i must agree.. i am all for it but they need to revisit the idea of HOW they're going to implement this