The Great Metal Detector Debate | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Great Metal Detector Debate

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How do you feel about Metal Detectors?

• Total voters
Skimmed the thread, didn't see it mentioned.

Haven't been since these were implemented, but what happens when an attractions host finds a weapon that otherwise wouldn't have been found. Last time I was there, actual security to get into the park still only consisted of a security guard who quickly went through your bag with a stick. It's clearly a measure to give a false sense of security, when in reality isn't thwarting much of a threat if someone had something in their pants pocket.

So hypothetically, what happens when an attractions operator finds a weapon. Is there security watching over the metal detectors as well? The pictures I've seen don't appear that way. Seems like a bad situation if someone unequipped to handle the situation were to find a weapon. :blank:

Yes, there is always a security agent nearby.

Love queuing for Dragons with a posted 10 minute wait, getting hung up at the metal detector line for 15+ minutes, and walking for God knows how long through the literally empty interior queue to actually get on the ride.

:l

The first time, I breezed by with no problem and even though my inhaler did set off the detector, I told them "Sorry. I need it." and they let me pass thru. The second time I go in, the girl is giving me a hard time about the inhaler and telling me I need to put it in a locker. I was like "No, sorry. I might I need it." She was like "Sir, you're going to have to put it in a locker." Again: "Nope. Sorry. I NEED IT ON ME." She kept saying something about not having it on me but then let me through. Really?

The first time, I breezed by with no problem and even though my inhaler did set off the detector, I told them "Sorry. I need it." and they let me pass thru. The second time I go in, the girl is giving me a hard time about the inhaler and telling me I need to put it in a locker. I was like "No, sorry. I might I need it." She was like "Sir, you're going to have to put it in a locker." Again: "Nope. Sorry. I NEED IT ON ME." She kept saying something about not having it on me but then let me through. Really?

I can understand you wanting to keep that with you, but surely it just defeats the whole point of their new policy?
It could do as much damage hitting someone as many of the other items people carry.

I can understand you wanting to keep that with you, but surely it just defeats the whole point of their new policy?
It could do as much damage hitting someone as many of the other items people carry.

So then I shouldn't ride a coaster? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Skimmed the thread, didn't see it mentioned.

Haven't been since these were implemented, but what happens when an attractions host finds a weapon that otherwise wouldn't have been found. Last time I was there, actual security to get into the park still only consisted of a security guard who quickly went through your bag with a stick. It's clearly a measure to give a false sense of security, when in reality isn't thwarting much of a threat if someone had something in their pants pocket.

So hypothetically, what happens when an attractions operator finds a weapon. Is there security watching over the metal detectors as well? The pictures I've seen don't appear that way. Seems like a bad situation if someone unequipped to handle the situation were to find a weapon. :blank:
Well, it would mean the person caught with said weapon is pretty stupid for one thing seeing as they will knowingly have walked through a metal detector with it.

Reactions: Sledge
I would personally enjoy the irony of someone being incapacitated by getting hit in the windpipe by a flying inhaler.

Along the lines (no pun intended) of detectors/bag check/security, what the status of the bag check fiasco out by the escalators from the parking garage? I've seen a couple of pics of huge crowds waiting to get on the moving sidewalks into City Walk. I'm heading down for 4 days over the weekend and just want to know how much earlier I need to get over there to be through by Early Entry time. Thanks for all of you regular contributors. Us out-of-staters appreciate it.

Well first of all this is the worst week to visit Orlando period!!! It's almost a waste of money unless you really enjoy waiting 2 hours for everything and pushing your way through sweaty angry tourists. But to answer your question 30 mins- 1 hour before early entry.

It took them awhile, but nicer, more permanent shelters for the metal detectors have appeared at Rockit. The express queue ones are done, but the single rider and stand-by queue ones aren't yet. Images courtesy Orlandoparksnews.com.
IMG_29556f28f.jpg

IMG_2957a526f.jpg

Here's the link to Orlando Theme Park News's original post:
Orlando Theme Park News: Universal Studios Update: Fallon, Fast & Furious, And More