The Great Metal Detector Debate | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The Great Metal Detector Debate

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How do you feel about Metal Detectors?

• Total voters
not to mention that for some reason my fingerprint wasn't working well trying to get into the park and I didn't like how I was being treated as I tried to prove my pass was legit.

The Fingerprint Scanners are appalling. A TM told me in Dec they had just been upgraded and were causing issue. Worked fine in April'13!

Yeah, ever since they changed the turnstiles, the fingerprint scanners haven't worked well at all pretty much EVER.

so do you have to remove all loose objects from your pockets? or just metal ones? Will I need to remove my wallet from my back pocket?

I never have trouble with my fingerprint, usually goes pretty fast as well, I think part of it depends on how defined one's fingerprint is. I find that the seaworld scanners tend to be much slower.

Wait, they're at the front entrance too?

I was referring to the fingerprint scanners. They were having a hard time confirming my pass and they were about to bring in security which pissed me off since I've been a loyal pass holder for years. I'm a Universal fan, but I'm not digging how they are acting as of late. I can't see them growing at a massive rate if they are going to treat people like this, we come to Universal for a fun day away from the world, not to act like were going through TSA security.

I was referring to the fingerprint scanners. They were having a hard time confirming my pass and they were about to bring in security which pissed me off since I've been a loyal pass holder for years. I'm a Universal fan, but I'm not digging how they are acting as of late. I can't see them growing at a massive rate if they are going to treat people like this, we come to Universal for a fun day away from the world, not to act like were going through TSA security.

Why would they bring over security? If the scanner has not worked they just look at your ID and let you through.

The Fingerprint Scanners are appalling. A TM told me in Dec they had just been upgraded and were causing issue. Worked fine in April'13!

I have one of the old hard APs and it no longer works with the finger scanners. Guest services put a sticker on it that says "check ID", I just show my license and it's actually quicker than the scan.

I have one of the old hard APs and it no longer works with the finger scanners. Guest services put a sticker on it that says "check ID", I just show my license and it's actually quicker than the scan.

Seth, what do you mean the finger scan does not work? Are the old passes not compatible with the bioscan system? I know they can reset the biomteric data as well, or at least use to, because a few years ago when I first started going to Universal my finger scan was messed up and they reset it, twice actually.

Seth, what do you mean the finger scan does not work? Are the old passes not compatible with the bioscan system? I know they can reset the biomteric data as well, or at least use to, because a few years ago when I first started going to Universal my finger scan was messed up and they reset it, twice actually.

All I know is that it used to work, then after the most recent scanner upgrades it stopped. They tried resetting it many times at different locations. Finally guest services said they could issue a new AP, or give me a "check ID" sticker to put on my old one. I'm not giving up my hard card for anything ;-)

I'll ride when I'm there just for fun, but the new policy does eliminate our ability to time actual waits on these rides. When I'm working I usually only actually ride a couple of attractions a day, mostly I'm walking and photographing...

Do you have a timer on your watch? Not everything needs a mobile phone app. :shrug: :smiley:

Not sure why a few people are saying cell phones won't be picked up by a metal detector. What phones are you using, Fisher-Price? You are confusing having a plastic casing (like the iPhone 5C) with having a phone that you claim as "mostly plastic". Cell phones have lots of heavy metals in the battery, camera, antenna, connection ports, hard drive and so on.

Depending on the sensitivity setting they are using, metal detectors have a limit on what they can detect and what they will alarm at.
If the detector was so sensitive (and set at that lowest level) that it could detect the metallic connection pins etc in a mobile phones, housed in a solid plastic case, possibly in a case and through clothing then imagine how its going to be detecting every minor metallic object in or on ones person....tooth fillings, rings, piercing.....plates/pins from operations etc.....It would bring the line to a standstill.

Also they aren't foolproof, just last year I accidentally took a box cutter with a 6"+ blade through airport security in my bag and onto a flight. I honestly had no idea it was there - it was in a pocket I seldom use.

Thursday the park was not crowded at all and wait times to go through the metal detectors were longer than lines for the coaster itself ... I did Hulk and DC, every time 5 minutes of waiting for the metal detectors and then the ride was basically walk on. I really wonder how this will work in the busy summer months. And of course, I beep every time I go through them and need to be wanted even though I empties my pockets.

Do you have a timer on your watch? Not everything needs a mobile phone app. :shrug: :smiley:

LINES, the app we use at TouringPlans for forecasting queues, has a built in timer for collecting wait times. There's no easy way for me to time waits separately and then enter them in our database after the fact.

Of course, if Len Testa wants to buy me an Apple Watch and develop an app extension for it, I won't complain... ;-)

OOOOK...I rode Hulk and Dragons the other day (Saturday) and experienced the metal detectors...

I may have overreacted a bit in calling this terrible..It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the parks were not packed..

I can't imagine what this will be like during summer..

Cast memebers did a great job of speeding everyone through...We need more lockers if this is going to be permanent, though

I went Saturday as well, at IOA from around 11-3PM. Hulk was at a 60 minute wait time around 11:30 and I found out that the metal detector was only for fast lane queue and that they had removed the single rider line. I hope that isn't permanent because I can usually shave off about 10-15 minutes off the stand by using single rider.
I went over to Dragons and when we saw the metal detectors, I had a gentleman behind me say "They trippin' dog". :lol: Needless to say, they used the wand on me there but not when I went back to Hulk. Very strange, but as long as they're efficient with the detectors, than I don't really mind.

Skimmed the thread, didn't see it mentioned.

Haven't been since these were implemented, but what happens when an attractions host finds a weapon that otherwise wouldn't have been found. Last time I was there, actual security to get into the park still only consisted of a security guard who quickly went through your bag with a stick. It's clearly a measure to give a false sense of security, when in reality isn't thwarting much of a threat if someone had something in their pants pocket.

So hypothetically, what happens when an attractions operator finds a weapon. Is there security watching over the metal detectors as well? The pictures I've seen don't appear that way. Seems like a bad situation if someone unequipped to handle the situation were to find a weapon. :blank: