The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special | Inside Universal Forums

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
After watching Werewolf By Night, it got me a lot more interested for this special. Figured i'd start a thread for it.

gotg_holiday_dd2c.jpg

Will this rival the memorable, or forgettable, Star Wars Christmas special way back when? :grin: :lol: A long long time ago in a galaxy not far enough away.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Disneyhead
Will this rival the memorable, or forgettable, Star Wars Christmas special way back when? :grin: :lol: A long long time ago in a galaxy not far enough away.
I honestly wish Disney would add this to Disney+. Sure it would be out of pure hate watching (and I know it's available to watch it on Youtube for free), but as someone who's never seen it, i'd watch it if it was on D+ purely out of curiosity. I'm not gonna go out of my way and search it up on Youtube though.

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
I want the Andor writers to write the next Star Wars Christmas Special....lol

This special looks great and think will just be a fun watch

Also happy Drax and Mantis seem to be the main characters, since at least for Drax his character is done after the next GOTG so nice to see him getting more screen time

I want the Andor writers to write the next Star Wars Christmas Special....lol

This special looks great and think will just be a fun watch

Also happy Drax and Mantis seem to be the main characters, since at least for Drax his character is done after the next GOTG so nice to see him getting more screen time
Almost all of the GotG has said they are done with the MCU after James Gunn leaves. Of course the entire main cast (even Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis) is fortunate enough to have other huge opportunities outside of the Guardians franchise. I can see the actors coming back for Secret Wars, but that's it.

I don't think Disney will let the Guardians brand die of course, they'll probably reboot it with a different group of Guardians later on.

Almost all of the GotG has said they are done with the MCU after James Gunn leaves. Of course the entire main cast (even Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis) is fortunate enough to have other huge opportunities outside of the Guardians franchise. I can see the actors coming back for Secret Wars, but that's it.

I don't think Disney will let the Guardians brand die of course, they'll probably reboot it with a different group of Guardians later on.
I know but Drax has just felt...kinda left out.

Like he didn't get a moment in End Game/Infinity War (besides jokes) and even in What If...they are going to focus on other GOTG characters.

I have no doubt Rocket, Groot and Mantis will return.

Just a reminder that this comes out today. Currently on Rotten Tomatoes, it's sitting at a 90% RT (on only 20 ratings though) and a 78 on Metacritic.

Supposedly there was some major spoilers that Disney+ themselves leaked about this. I'll wait to see the thing myself, but i've heard that the spoiler "is huge". Now idk exactly what that means as it means different things to different people, but it's interesting. My only thought is will they go super meta and reference/canonize Kevin Bacon's character in First Class (Sebastian Shaw) despite the fact that he's playing a fictionalized Kevin Bacon?

It's fun. Primarily Mantis and Drax --couple minutes of Pratt, Bradley Cooper phoned in maybe 5 lines of dialogue -- but the main duo do a great job remaining serious and believable in what is essentially a straight-up comedy. Kevin Bacon affiable enough as he engages in a bit of self-parody. As is to be expected with James Gunn, the music choices are on point. Had "Fairy Tale of NY" stuck in my head since watching this morning.

Supposedly there was some major spoilers that Disney+ themselves leaked about this. I'll wait to see the thing myself, but i've heard that the spoiler "is huge". Now idk exactly what that means as it means different things to different people, but it's interesting. My only thought is will they go super meta and reference/canonize Kevin Bacon's character in First Class (Sebastian Shaw) despite the fact that he's playing a fictionalized Kevin Bacon?

"Huge" seems like a stretch, there's one relevant-to-the-Guardians-story-only plot point that felt like it would've been saved for a movie. Then again, they get it out there and now GotG 3 can hit the ground running with it. I do wonder if it was a subplot in the Infinity Saga that got dropped, so just blurting it out here.

Reactions: Skold
there's one relevant-to-the-Guardians-story-only plot point that felt like it would've been saved for a movie. Then again, they get it out there and now GotG 3 can hit the ground running with it. I do wonder if it was a subplot in the Infinity Saga that got dropped, so just blurting it out here.

I likedit; pretty funny MCU fare, which - what more can you ask for?

I think there were three main GOTG points that need to bridge over to Vol 3:
1. They own Knowhere!
2. Mantis is Ego's child.
3. Cosmo. She's gotta be on the team now, right?

Reactions: SeventyOne
That may have been the worst thing yet in the MCU. My god, what we’re they thinking with those jokes…nothing landed.

Really loved this. The kind of stupid fun I want to see, with some great jokes and acting from the ensemble. Not as bombastic as people proclaimed it to be early on, but this felt like a really cute and soft way to allow the characters to be simply characters, enjoying the time they have before the next big outing.

Cosmo is best girl. I will not argue on it.

Just watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought a lot of the jokes were good (especially sight gags and Rocket's reation to Kevin Bacon calling him a Racoon), the two songs were surprisingly good, it'll be something that can be rewatched in years to come since it carries that holiday factor. It also allowed some of the side characters to shine amongst the group while getting a head start on a plot line that will likely play into GOTG 3 in a big enough way to where i'm glad that we won't have to waste time in that movie doing a long reveal.

It was also nice to see the debut of Cosmo. I just played the GotG video game from 2021 in which Cosmo is a major side character, but it left me with reservations on how exactly it would play in lave action and from what we saw, I think it works fine. Aged up Groot to whatever age he's supposed to be at now look a bit weird though. Looked like he had almost come grown full cycle back to his age in GotG (2014), but meant to be a tad younger and just slightly off-putting.

I enjoyed it! It's a nice bit of silliness and some rather sweet moments, too. While I don't think the GotG Universe plots were necessarily huge reveals, I will say it's nice they took care of them here to hit the ground running. Not surprisingly whatsoever with a James Gunn film, the soundtrack is really good, too. All in all, it's a nice easy watch for the Holidays.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I enjoyed it! It's a nice bit of silliness and some rather sweet moments, too. While I don't think the GotG Universe plots were necessarily huge reveals, I will say it's nice they took care of them here to hit the ground running. Not surprisingly whatsoever with a James Gunn film, the soundtrack is really good, too. All in all, it's a nice easy watch for the Holidays.
The song with Bacon specifically I thought was actually a pretty good holiday song choice and he sounded great on the song, too.

Really loved this. The kind of stupid fun I want to see, with some great jokes and acting from the ensemble. Not as bombastic as people proclaimed it to be early on, but this felt like a really cute and soft way to allow the characters to be simply characters, enjoying the time they have before the next big outing.

Cosmo is best girl. I will not argue on it.
i really loved it too, this was way funnier than anything in she hulk and more charming. Mantis was incredible, i really loved her a lot. the story was simple but it worked so well. it is a very feel good special. i laughed at every joke. this was perfect

Just watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought a lot of the jokes were good (especially sight gags and Rocket's reation to Kevin Bacon calling him a Racoon), the two songs were surprisingly good, it'll be something that can be rewatched in years to come since it carries that holiday factor. It also allowed some of the side characters to shine amongst the group while getting a head start on a plot line that will likely play into GOTG 3 in a big enough way to where i'm glad that we won't have to waste time in that movie doing a long reveal.

It was also nice to see the debut of Cosmo. I just played the GotG video game from 2021 in which Cosmo is a major side character, but it left me with reservations on how exactly it would play in lave action and from what we saw, I think it works fine. Aged up Groot to whatever age he's supposed to be at now look a bit weird though. Looked like he had almost come grown full cycle back to his age in GotG (2014), but meant to be a tad younger and just slightly off-putting.

buff groot felt like groot- hulk lol.

I think its a cute special

Now I'm only saying this because others compared it to Werewolf by Night...I dont think its that good but for a Christmas special in the MCU its great.

I dont think all the jokes land, I felt Mantis is almost cold/mean to Drax at some points but overall liked the music (I mean James Gunn), the message, the sets and Cosmo I hope gets more screen time in other projects

While I avoided spoilers for every MCU film this yeah....I dont know why but got "spoiled" on the surprise or two. SO thanks youtube creators that have nothing better to do then spoil a 40 min Christmas special for clicks

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I think its a cute special

Now I'm only saying this because others compared it to Werewolf by Night...I dont think its that good but for a Christmas special in the MCU its great.

I dont think all the jokes land, I felt Mantis is almost cold/mean to Drax at some points but overall liked the music (I mean James Gunn), the message, the sets and Cosmo I hope gets more screen time in other projects

While I avoided spoilers for every MCU film this yeah....I dont know why but got "spoiled" on the surprise or two. SO thanks youtube creators that have nothing better to do then spoil a 40 min Christmas special for clicks
To be completely fair, Disney+ actually is the one who let the cat out of the bag. They uploaded a Drax and Mantis episode of Marvel Legends before the special released and it contained spoilers from the holiday special. So yeah.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet