The Icons and Lore Thread | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

The Icons and Lore Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
PI really, really think you all are overthinking this.
Probably :lmao: But let us have r fun!:lmao:
Frustrated Serious GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reactions: Blysthon
The confirmation of this being a nightmare realm manifested by the agony and memories of HHN makes me very happy. It reminds me a lot of Reflections of Fear.

Reactions: bdubsCEO
Now to figure out where Sinister & Surreal lie on the powerscale of Icons. Me and a friend on a Discord server believe we may have figured it out:

They are either on the same level as or just below Adaru in terms of power. They are a creation of our fear, agony and terror from 33 years of HHN. In a way, they are a new Adaru, our version of Adaru.

Reactions: bdubsCEO
Sorry for double-post, but I gots a big theory. Credit to J. Shuster on Twitter for first bringing it up with the Legion totems from Case Files.and

There's something representing each Legion of Horror in the Fear Realm:
  • Iniquitous: La Muerte in Monstruos.

• Strengoits: Countess Marya (Dracula's Daughter) & Brides of Dracula in Eternal Bloodlines.

• Cerebin: A Quiet Place's Death Angels and the Monstruos.

• Baccanoids: Major Sweets and the Grabber.

• Maschorians: The Demon Queens, and Sinister & Surreal themselves.

• Morphans: The Triplets and Goblins.

• Kerezans: The Swamp of the Undead.

In Case Files, the ending of the house was Tim Foyle accidentally opening a portal into a hellish world when he brought the Legion totems together, and Sinister & Surreal's lore reveals that the creation of this realm began with the first Fright Nights in 1991- "For 33 years, the screams of thousands of eager Halloween Horror Nights guests have been collected within the shadowy depths of Universal Orlando Resort." The ending of Case Files took place on the first night of that event.

Could this be a realm for the Legions? After all, they are the Legions of Horror and this year's tagline is "Where Horror Lives".

Sorry for double-post, but I gots a big theory. Credit to J. Shuster on Twitter for first bringing it up with the Legion totems from Case Files.and

There's something representing each Legion of Horror in the Fear Realm:
  • Iniquitous: La Muerte in Monstruos.

• Strengoits: Countess Marya (Dracula's Daughter) & Brides of Dracula in Eternal Bloodlines.

• Cerebin: A Quiet Place's Death Angels and the Monstruos.

• Baccanoids: Major Sweets and the Grabber.

• Maschorians: The Demon Queens, and Sinister & Surreal themselves.

• Morphans: The Triplets and Goblins.

• Kerezans: The Swamp of the Undead.

In Case Files, the ending of the house was Tim Foyle accidentally opening a portal into a hellish world when he brought the Legion totems together, and Sinister & Surreal's lore reveals that the creation of this realm began with the first Fright Nights in 1991- "For 33 years, the screams of thousands of eager Halloween Horror Nights guests have been collected within the shadowy depths of Universal Orlando Resort." The ending of Case Files took place on the first night of that event.

Could this be a realm for the Legions? After all, they are the Legions of Horror and this year's tagline is "Where Horror Lives".
You go down the rabbit hole of HHN lore and I love it! I don’t think this is anywhere in their minds but I wish it was.

You go down the rabbit hole of HHN lore and I love it! I don’t think this is anywhere in their minds but I wish it was.
Much obliged my friend! And yeah, I know this is likely just me pulling rabbits out of the lore hat, but I still always have fun making these theories, and who knows? I doubt anyone was expecting Oddfellow's lore last year to have connections to Vampyr and Jungle of Doom of all things, so I'm more hopeful for A&D to also go down the rabbit hole more in the future.

So what happened to the talk of the first “super mega icon” or whatever, who was supposedly Adaru’s master or something like that? I just remember Legacy seemingly thought it was going to be really dumb and underwhelming. Does all that still apply to Sinister and Surreal, or were those rumors from previous plans that fell through?

Also we need an abbreviation for Sinister and Surreal, but S&S is already taken by Stay and Scream. Ideas?

So what happened to the talk of the first “super mega icon” or whatever, who was supposedly Adaru’s master or something like that? I just remember Legacy seemingly thought it was going to be really dumb and underwhelming. Does all that still apply to Sinister and Surreal, or were those rumors from previous plans that fell through?

Also we need an abbreviation for Sinister and Surreal, but S&S is already taken by Stay and Scream. Ideas?
I honestly don’t remember the specifics of the rumor, other than the intimation it would be another god-like icon that would (could) drastically shift the lore. Sinist3r and Sur3al do check those boxes. The question I always had was where the new icon(s) placed in the hierarchy of the god-realm. And, weirdly, we still don’t know. We’re kinda sorta assuming they’re “under” Fear, but it hasn’t been explicitly established. And it likely won’t because it’s pretty apparent that stuff isn’t a priority at this time.

I honestly don’t remember the specifics of the rumor, other than the intimation it would be another god-like icon that would (could) drastically shift the lore. Sinist3r and Sur3al do check those boxes. The question I always had was where the new icon(s) placed in the hierarchy of the god-realm. And, weirdly, we still don’t know. We’re kinda sorta assuming they’re “under” Fear, but it hasn’t been explicitly established. And it likely won’t because it’s pretty apparent that stuff isn’t a priority at this time.
From my personal interpretation of the Sinister/Surreal lore drop, I believe them to be equals to Adaru. They are, in a way, our manifestation of the God of Fear, split into two beings.

Reactions: Kichkinet85
I think I've figured out the fundamental "problem" of Sinist3r and Surr3al conceptually -- for me, at least.

They are once again "embodiments of fear" in one way or another, so there's a lot of overlap with "Fear Himself." While there was quite a bit of criticism concerning Fear's final design, I think it's fair to say he's a bit more naturally imposing, and his presentation was more subdued, mysterious, and otherworldly. He also of course towers over other icons given that he's only to date ever existed as a stilt performer.

Sinist3r and Surr3al feel like his minions -- the Panic and Panic to his Hades. They're louder (visually and literally), brasher, and more in-your-face. I'm not against that kind of idea -- how many great works of fiction/mythology have heralds? -- but it does, in some subconscious way, diminish their "power" over the event, especially when the lore details we did get are relatively vague.

I think Sinist3r and Surr3al being generally more energetic and playful is actually rather fitting, considering that in the lore, they've pretty much just been born after 33 years of being manifested.

It's like how Oddfellow was a parallel to Jack- More calm, calculating and imposing to Jack's maniacal and playful nature.