Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Imagineering Story

The business strategy going forward with Walt Disney World with Rasulo/Staggs and signed off by Iger had determined the resort was mature and constant capex was not needed. They thought MM+ lock in plus the Scene 1 queue enhancements would be all that was needed. Under Iger Imagineering was decimated by Rasulo during this time.

It's *literally not true* and this is historical revisionism. You can't judge nearly 15 years of management on the most two recent years alone. Plus to lump all of the blame AND praise on Iger just isn't justified.
Laugh Floor, Seas with Nemo and Friends, Toy Story Mania, Submarine Voyage, the DCA Overhaul's initial stages, and the onslaught of entertainment seen from 2006-2009 were all the result of Iger's early years. yes, it is entirely IP-based, and that I disagree with, but that is still a bump from Eisner's ending. The only reason the end of Eisner could come close to the beginning of Iger was because of his clone-a-thon.
The mature/no more constant capex belief came on the scene in ~2010, when they decided to inject an obscene amount of cash into the parks' technological infrastructure. This is when MM+ and Queue Enhancements came onto the scene. While eventually reducing parks' capex was the goal of that project, it was deemed to be unsuccessful before capex had the ability to be significantly cut. Instead, the same amount of money was injected back into traditional parks capex.
Say what you want about which projects got approved (I know MILF and Nemo weren't WDI's best), but Iger began to slowly pull WDI out from the rut that they were in by the end of the Eisner era.

To me, I judge Iger primarily based on this:

Toy Story Mania to Toy Story Land -- 10 year gap.
The Seas with Nemo to Frozen Ever After -- 9 year gap.
Expedition Everest to Pandora -- 11 year gap.

Though Iger didn't greenlight those early projects, he was in charge by the time they opened. There was a striking lack of interest in building up those WDW parks.

Though Iger didn't greenlight those early projects, he was in charge by the time they opened. There was a striking lack of interest in building up those WDW parks.

The Expedition Everest happened while Michael Eisner was still CEO at the time, and was the last original ride. Eisner at least had a vision to uphold Disney's values by adding original rides while also securing attractions based on IPs as well. After Iger took over, he started building attractions based on popular IPs he acquired, made questionable changes like removing the Norway attraction in Epcot in favor of a commercialized popular IP and adding Guardians of the Galaxy there, has a disastrous start of the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge area, and building a Marvel-themed land at DCA that won't match to the vision of Marvel Comics.

To be honest, while FEA is more popular now than it was as Maelstrom, it didn't gain the park a ride. TSL and Pandora did that (as well as expanded the walkable areas). So imo, I don't even think you can say from The Seas to FEA. I think it needs to be from The Seas to Ratatouille, which is an astounding 13 years.

Of course, The Seas wasn't an added ride or expansion, either.

I didn't realise how bad the park expansions were until recently. I've got a family trip booked for next year and my mum hasn't been to Orlando since 2003. When I was telling her what was new, it dawned on me that everything new in Disney (With the exception of Everest) is only from the past few years.

Universal Studios has had a wild transformation. I think there's only 3 rides remaining from her last trip, ET, MIB and Shrek (Which was the new ride at the time).

I didn't realise how bad the park expansions were until recently. I've got a family trip booked for next year and my mum hasn't been to Orlando since 2003. When I was telling her what was new, it dawned on me that everything new in Disney (With the exception of Everest) is only from the past few years.

Universal Studios has had a wild transformation. I think there's only 3 rides remaining from her last trip, ET, MIB and Shrek (Which was the new ride at the time).

Almost like they didn’t invest much in attractions at WDW till recently!

To be honest, while FEA is more popular now than it was as Maelstrom, it didn't gain the park a ride. TSL and Pandora did that (as well as expanded the walkable areas). So imo, I don't even think you can say from The Seas to FEA. I think it needs to be from The Seas to Ratatouille, which is an astounding 13 years.

Of course, The Seas wasn't an added ride or expansion, either.

I was trying to give the most charitable-possible examples to illustrate just how stagnant things truly were!

I like Seas with Nemo and Friends...

I like it for what it is -- a C-ticket dark ride. Especially when the angler fish is working. If the storyline of the ride was Nemo and his class learning more about the Seas instead of the characters searching for Nemo, I think it would have a better reputation.