Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Little Mermaid (Live Action)

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Bouncing off of Mary Poppins Returns, Rob Marshall will direct another movie musical for Disney. Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda will handle the songwriting duties for new songs that will be added to this version of the movie. Miranda will also co-produce the film.

A cast has not been announced yet and when asked last week if Marshall has anyone in mind for the movie he said “No way, it’s too early”.

Ariel - A no name actress or someone with Broadway experience. It worked for Hairspray and Nikki Blonsky. If they insist on a name, Emma Stone (who has singing jobs).
Prince Eric - (I hate myself for saying it) Zac Efron
Ursula - I adore Sherie Rene Scott’s take from Broadway, but I would actually LOVE to see Leslie Jones tackle the Sea Witch. Or Uzo Aduba.
Sebastian - Leslie Odom Jr is a quality dream cast. For the sake of difference though, I’ll say Aaron Tveit. Obviously, that Sebastian wouldn’t be Jamaican.
Triton - Idris Elba
Grimsby - Patrick Stewart
Scuttle - Weird Al Yankovic
Flotsam and Jetsam - Key and Peele

If they go a certain way..

Ariel - Hailee Steinfeld (after the standout performance of Bumblebee, along with her credits from the past..it'd make a lot of sense)
Prince Eric - I want them to cast an unknown for this, someone who while having theater experience (whether Broadway or afar), I would love to see how they handle Eric.
Ursula - Knowing the odds, they will get a name that can stand out. Honestly, Uzo would be a fun choice..but I would not be shocked if it was a larger name than that Crossing my fingers though.
Sebastian - I agree with @Legacy when it comes to Sebastian, but yeah; Leslie Odom Jr. would be a perfect cast for Seb.
Triton - Hugh Jackman

__

I am hoping this doesn't happen, but considering most of the 90's classics will be re-adapted..I'm not going to be shocked if it's happening.

While I love Ben Platt as a suggestion for a Disney movie at some point, he's too scrawny to play Prince Eric imo. I think @Legacy hit it on the head with Zac Efron.

My only concern with Zac Efron is that he might be just a little too old. Back when Disney was casting for Aladdin, they were looking for leads around the 18-25 range and I figured that will probably be the case here as well.

Ariel - Zendaya (already been rumoured for the longest)
Prince Eric -Taron Egerton
Ursula - Lady Gaga (could be a very fresh take)
Sebastian - Titus Burgess
Triton - Jason Momoa
Grimsby - Joseph Gordon Levitt
Scuttle - Danny De vito
Flotsam and Jetsam - Awkwafina and Eric Andre

a cast with musical background, diversity, and freshness

My only concern with Zac Efron is that he might be just a little too old. Back when Disney was casting for Aladdin, they were looking for leads around the 18-25 range and I figured that will probably be the case here as well.
Tbh, if age WASN'T a factor, I would love to see Donald Glover play Prince Eric. However at 35, he's too old at this point.

Unknown, with her notable credits being assocated with the R&B duo Chloe x Halle that's just popped up from the past few years thanks to Trolls & Wrinkle in Time.

To have a comparison, she's even more of a case of an unknown; to when they casted Daisy Ridley for Rey.

She and her sister are signed with Beyonce’s label and they’ve opened for her on some tour legs. The two of them are also on the Black-ish spinoff Grown-ish.

Honestly haven’t seen them act, but I love their music. Halle has a beautiful, sweet voice, I think she could be great.

Disney Finds 'Little Mermaid' Star in Singer Halle Bailey | Hollywood Reporter

Melissa McCarthy has been also engaging talks to play Ursula.

But McCarthy most likely will be in competition with Lizzo.
‘The Little Mermaid’ Live Action Reboot Has Lizzo Bidding For Ursula – Deadline

Unknown, with her notable credits being assocated with the R&B duo Chloe x Halle that's just popped up from the past few years thanks to Trolls & Wrinkle in Time.

To have a comparison, she's even more of a case of an unknown; to when they casted Daisy Ridley for Rey.

Not unknown; she is in Grownish (Black-ish spinoff) as one of the regulars and they were known before that as they were Beyonce's worldwide opening act.
-----------------------------------------------------

And the racist tweets are already starting. Not surprised.

Surprising choice, but a delightful one. Chloe x Halle have been blowing up this past year and there’s a ton of soul in their voice that I wouldn’t have expected to be the direction Disney goes in for Ariel (especially after the casting of Emma Watson as Belle).

I think people will be surprised at how great she is. Some unfortunately won’t be able to get over Ariel being played by a Black woman.

I was really really hoping for Zendaya. All this time i was picturing her in the role already. Im not too happy with the actress they picked, i wish it was someone more famous. She might do a great job, but i was hoping for Zendaya so much. I watched some clips of the girl they cast but i wasnt too impressed. We will see.