The Little Mermaid (Live Action) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Little Mermaid (Live Action)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Look I'm rooting for Halle as much as the next guy but my God I just don't understand how adaptations of some of the most visually vibrant films in existence continue to look so butt ugly.
We saw like a minute of footage. I think it's a little early to come to that conclusion already.

For a Live Action remake (which largely are either good, just okay, or fall flat for me)… this looks terrific. I have high hopes!

I still think there's hope for this to be the best live action remake since my personal favorite of the bunch in 2019's Aladdin.

Reactions: n i c k
You say that but I think it’s gonna be a huge hit. To me it looks like a fine enough popcorn movie.

Oh, it'll make money alright. The question is whether or not it will be any good. I've been burned too many times by these films to expect anything that comes close to matching the quality of the originals. They always look pretty, but just feel like hollow imitations that lack the initial passion/heart.

You say that but I think it’s gonna be a huge hit. To me it looks like a fine enough popcorn movie.
I mean yeah, it'll be a hit. That's not really any indication of quality.

I personally just can't see the appeal in these movies, but clearly a lot of people like them

It will make money but it wont live up to the broadway show or animated movie....I'd love to be wrong but Jungle book is the only movie that they have remade that even gets close to as good as the animated version

Depends. Aladdin wasn't even all that well received and it made $1B. Actually, I believe all of their classic renaissance musicals that have gone live action so far (TLK, BatB, and Aladdin) have made over $1B. So if you're a Disney exec, I think something around that range is probably a goal post considering the prior films successes.

Although, it is worth noting that all of those films were released before Disney+ launched and before COVID, both of which have affected the way people consume content and how frequently people go to the movie theater.

The movie is at a 70% on RT with 100 reviews in. The critic consensus from RT reads: "With Halle Bailey making a major splash in the title role, Disney's live-action Little Mermaid ranks among the studio's most enjoyable reimaginings."

Seems like if you liked the animated version you'll probably like this version.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The movie is at a 70% on RT with 100 reviews in. The critic consensus from RT reads: "With Halle Bailey making a major splash in the title role, Disney's live-action Little Mermaid ranks among the studio's most enjoyable reimaginings."

Seems like if you liked the animated version you'll probably like this version.
I’ve heard that before

If people enjoy these fine but the animated films have amazing pacing and are very expressive and spin the take into their own thing

These films are mostly adapting the Disney version closer then Disney adapted the original stories they are based on

I might see it on Disney plus and the mail actress has a great voice but I would not fan all fans of the original will love this

Heard the same for beast and Aladdin and especially Aladdin to me changed some of the best parts and made the story weaker (the ending in the animated film is darker and feels like it has real stakes over chasing a large bird)

I’ve heard that before

If people enjoy these fine but the animated films have amazing pacing and are very expressive and spin the take into their own thing

These films are mostly adapting the Disney version closer then Disney adapted the original stories they are based on

I might see it on Disney plus and the mail actress has a great voice but I would not fan all fans of the original will love this

Heard the same for beast and Aladdin and especially Aladdin to me changed some of the best parts and made the story weaker (the ending in the animated film is darker and feels like it has real stakes over chasing a large bird)
I actually really enjoyed Aladdin. BATB was enjoyable but Emma Watson wasn’t it for Belle as far as singing goes.

I actually really enjoyed Aladdin. BATB was enjoyable but Emma Watson wasn’t it for Belle as far as singing goes.
The cast was great but the ending sucked

The original ending is so dam cool and was excited to see how they topped it in live action

It was a chase scene with a bird….just this is when Hollywood really feels defeated to me

Reactions: SeventyOne
The cast was great but the ending sucked

The original ending is so dam cool and was excited to see how they topped it in live action

It was a chase scene with a bird….just this is when Hollywood really feels defeated to me
There are changes in TLM as far as I’ve heard within both old song and added songs is why Lin Manuel Miranda was brought aboard.

LMM having some involvement does give me a bit of interest but probably Disney+. I actually haven’t even watched a live action remake since either The Lady and the Tramp or Dumbo on Disney+. Never watched Mulan, Pinocchio, Peter Pan & Wendy, etc. never heard anything that made me want to watch those.

Last remake I watched was Beauty and the Beast which I enjoyed mostly. I definitely won't watch this in theaters, but will check it out later probably. Reviews are pretty rough even the "fresh ones" ones are mostly 3/5, but that typically doesn't matter for these remakes. Expecting still a large box office like 700 million?