Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Mandalorian

The attention to detail on this show is stellar. I've watched every episode several times and I'm still finding new details. This is the writing we've been searching for. This is the way!

The attention to detail on this show is stellar. I've watched every episode several times and I'm still finding new details. This is the writing we've been searching for. This is the way!
Episode 3 had some amazing little details. Specifically:

Mando takes the little nob away from Baby Yoda at the beginning of the episode and tells him "it's not a toy". As the episode closes though and after everything he went through to save the child, baby yoda walk up towards Mando, all you see is his hand, and Mando grabs the nob and hands it to him.

Also, imo he clearly didn't want Carl Whethers' character (Greef Karga) to die. Mando knew that the Baskar was at his chest (earlier in the episode Karga bragged about his take from the bounty) so he shot him there accordingly as a warning.

I'll also say, Pedro Pascal (and the directors probably deserve an equal amount of credit) is doing an amazing amount of job at conveying emotion while wearing a helmet for every second of every episode and being involved in every scene.

Official merch has been released on Shop Disney today.
They used the same 'The Child' print on everything, I could take a better pic from a screen grab of the show, hope better is to come.
https://www.shopdisney.com/the-child-star-wars-the-mandalorian-logo-t-shirt-for-

this has got to be the one of the biggest merch fails of all time. It’s understandable a toy wouldn’t be ready for mass production, but a T-shirt design is something that can be created and sent to the printers within a day. They literally just took a stock photo and printed it on T-shirt’s and mugs. Something literally ANYONE could make.

Disney’s merch is typically well designed and different from what the average cafe press user creates for a quick buck.

They won’t be getting a $ from me.

this has got to be the one of the biggest merch fails of all time. It’s understandable a toy wouldn’t be ready for mass production, but a T-shirt design is something that can be created and sent to the printers within a day. They literally just took a stock photo and printed it on T-shirt’s and mugs. Something literally ANYONE could make.

Disney’s merch is typically well designed and different from what the average cafe press user creates for a quick buck.

They won’t be getting a $ from me.
Remember the merch fiasco they had after Frozen came out in 2013? This isn't new for them. They were so ill-prepared of the massive success of the film that merchandise was in and out of stores for close to a year because of how long it takes to manufacture newly ordered merch.

Josh Gad just told a story on Kimmel about how his daughter wanted to be Elsa the year after the film came out, but dresses were sold out everywhere. Gad asked Iger if there was any he could get and Iger responded by saying he just got one of the last one's from Aulani shipped for his granddaughter.

Point is, Disney plays it cautious with new releases on the merch side because there's always the chance of it being a huge hit, but you never want to order a ton in expectation of a hit and be left with a ton of unsold merch. Situations like this are a tough needle to thread.

Remember the merch fiasco they had after Frozen came out in 2013? This isn't new for them. They were so ill-prepared of the massive success of the film that merchandise was in and out of stores for close to a year because of how long it takes to manufacture newly ordered merch.

Josh Gad just told a story on Kimmel about how his daughter wanted to be Elsa the year after the film came out, but dresses were sold out everywhere. Gad asked Iger if there was any he could get and Iger responded by saying he just got one of the last one's from Aulani shipped for his granddaughter.

Point is, Disney plays it cautious with new releases on the merch side because there's always the chance of it being a huge hit, but you never want to order a ton in expectation of a hit and be left with a ton of unsold merch. Situations like this are a tough needle to thread.

I understand all that; my issue is with the designs themselves. Super cheap and thoughtless design. Compare the child shirts to the other Mandalorian shirts they have for sale. This took maybe 5 mins to create, any designer would cringe at those shirts

I understand all that; my issue is with the designs themselves. Super cheap and thoughtless design. Compare the child shirts to the other Mandalorian shirts they have for sale. This took maybe 5 mins to create, any designer would cringe at those shirts
Shirts are quick to make and throw together as you say though. I hear you, I don't like the shirt either. Disney just wanted to get something out there to capitalize on the show it seems. The amount of time it takes to make toys for a project can be many months.

Agreed on the cheapness of the current merch, but I'm really glad they didn't have any secret toys in the works. Could you imagine if anything leaked from Hasbro, etc.? That would've sucked.

Not sure if it’s the same with you guys, but Disney+ is pulling a HUGE tease by showing episode 4 for Mandalorian under the continue watching section, but when you click on it it basically says the tech equivalent of “not today, bitch” :lol:

Weak sauce on Disney's part, especially since there was a ton of merch with Last Jedi characters ready to go months before the film was released. You couldn't walk through a toy aisle without being assaulted by Porg or BB-9E toys, the latter of whom only had 5 seconds of screen time in the actual movie.

Just watched Chapter 4 and I feel like I a broken record at this point, but it just keeps getting better. The pace picks up a lot in this episode and lots of very important character moments as well.

This episode is also a very promising start to Bryce Dallas Howard’s directorial career. It was a beautifully shot episode, imo.

This episode gave me the sense for the first time that we may actually see Mando w/o the helmet before the end of the season. I love the way they are handling that storyline

Also: Cara Dune ftfw. She really added an element that I feel was missing to the show.

Last edited:
Just watched Chapter 4 and I feel like I a broken record at this point, but it just keeps getting better. The pace picks up a lot in this episode and lots of very important character moments as well.

This episode is also a very promising start to Bryce Dallas Howard’s directorial career. It was a beautifully shot episode, imo.

Clearly a "filler" episode from a show mythology perspective, but still great. As you say, so many character moments--that The Red Viper nails despite not being able to use his face. Also, finally a new planet that feels like Star Wars, but isn't a direct rip-off of something we've seen before.

This episode gave me the sense for the first time that we may actually see Mando w/o the helmet before the end of the season. I love the way they are handling that storyline

Chekov's helmet. I've assumed it would come off since the shaman/blacksmith made a big deal over whether he'd ever removed it.

Clearly a "filler" episode from a show mythology perspective, but still great. As you say, so many character moments--that The Red Viper nails despite not being able to use his face. Also, finally a new planet that feels like Star Wars, but isn't a direct rip-off of something we've seen before.
When there's as much character development as there was in this one (or at least key revelations/moments), I never truly consider it "filler" because the episode served a purpose.

However, it didn't move the plot forward a ton and was more or less just a pit stop in The Adventures of Mando & Baby Yoda. I think that's almost certainly why they gave this episode to Bryce Dallas Howard with this being her directorial debut. It was a beautifully shot episode, but it was also written fairly trope-y so it was a straight forward episode to direct, making the Bryce's job fairly easy.

Guessing we can dispense with Spoliers for 'The Child' now?

It may have been a 'filler' epsode but it was still fantastic, Baby Yoda just gets better and better.

Speaking of which, the below are already 100% better than the half assed merch Disney came up with:
il_1588xN.2147525827_2kw4.jpg il_1588xN.2146263217_rnwm.jpg

The writing for this episode seems heavily influenced by the Kurosawa film Seven Samurai. Seven Samurai - Wikipedia

I don't think of it so much as a filler episode but more of the beginning of the second act. It raised more questions then answered. But, when an episode devotes this much time to character development you know there's going to be a big payoff down the line.

I’m just glad to see Gina Carson but that was a great episode.

Every episode so far has felt like it’s own contained story but this is definitely building to something bigger in the last few episodes.

I’m just glad to see Gina Carson but that was a great episode.

Every episode so far has felt like it’s own contained story but this is definitely building to something bigger in the last few episodes.
The first 3 episodes sort of felt like a continuous arc. This episode was definitely more contained. While i've really really enjoyed every episode so far I think this episode was the first time where the shorter run-time hurt a little. This story arc started and and ended in about 37 minutes and there was a few moments where the writing felt like it was getting caught up by the time constraint. A longer episode could've helped to dive deeper with a few extra scenes.

One thing that drove me crazy (a little nit-picky maybe) about this episode though was how Mando had just told someone that he only Takes The Mandalorian armor off in private, then literally NEXT SCENE, he takes off his helmet outside where anyone could've seen him. I liked them showing him talking off the helmet too eat, but I feel like they handled it wrong.

The first 3 episodes sort of felt like a continuous arc. This episode was definitely more contained. While i've really really enjoyed every episode so far I think this episode was the first time where the shorter run-time hurt a little. This story arc started and and ended in about 37 minutes and there was a few moments where the writing felt like it was getting caught up by the time constraint. A longer episode could've helped to dive deeper with a few extra scenes.

One thing that drove me crazy (a little nit-picky maybe) about this episode though was how Mando had just told someone that he only Takes The Mandalorian armor off in private, then literally NEXT SCENE, he takes off his helmet outside where anyone could've seen him. I liked them showing him talking off the helmet too eat, but I feel like they handled it wrong.

I think you’re right.

I think the first 3 episodes had the deserved run time as you could describe the plot in a single sentence but never felt rushed or inflated. An extra 10mins could have added to the story for this episode since it felt so contained.