The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm hearing this may be true. Since Bombardier built the Vegas monorails and the system in Brazil, they have the know how and recent experience (templates, etc.) to do this relatively quickly and cost effectively. It will still be a $100+ million dollar project to build 12 new trains, which is probably close to the price-tag that the cancelled theater and space restaurants had. It's finally become such an embarrassment and cost (in comps and other give-aways to disgruntled hotel guests) that they realized they have to do something. They had planned to keep this fleet of monorails running for another 15 years, and they were hoping the new computer control system would help with the problems but it's just a case of the trains having outlived their designed lifespan.

They had planned to keep this fleet of monorails running for another 15 years, and they were hoping the new computer control system would help with the problems but it's just a case of the trains having outlived their designed lifespan.

Imagine being a corporate drone so out of touch with your product as to believe this. In last year and a half, monorails have made news twice for potentially life-threatening malfunctions, and all it takes is a single loop, any time of day, to realize the control system is a complete failure. It's like being a McDonalds exec (they're in town) and never having tasted a Quarter Pounder.

Imagine being a corporate drone so out of touch with your product as to believe this. In last year and a half, monorails have made news twice for potentially life-threatening malfunctions, and all it takes is a single loop, any time of day, to realize the control system is a complete failure. It's like being a McDonalds exec (they're in town) and never having tasted a Quarter Pounder.
It's the "Suits" thing. Protect that Bonus...Too good to go into a theme park. Parks and park employees :hail: are beneath their exalted status.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm hearing this may be true. Since Bombardier built the Vegas monorails and the system in Brazil, they have the know how and recent experience (templates, etc.) to do this relatively quickly and cost effectively. It will still be a $100+ million dollar project to build 12 new trains, which is probably close to the price-tag that the cancelled theater and space restaurants had. It's finally become such an embarrassment and cost (in comps and other give-aways to disgruntled hotel guests) that they realized they have to do something. They had planned to keep this fleet of monorails running for another 15 years, and they were hoping the new computer control system would help with the problems but it's just a case of the trains having outlived their designed lifespan.
Wait, the Space restaurant is cancelled, too?

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I believe investment in the monorails is independent of the MK theater. I think Tom/WDWNT was speculating on that.

The modernization of the whole system was demanded after the fatality a long time ago. The project is/was so complicated that it took this long to get done. But now they can buy the new monorails that work with this system and deploy it easily.

Something else we're not talking about is the monorail beams which I've heard might need some work too.

Stuff happens. Uni should build one and local gov't should subsidize. Fed too. Will take so much stress off the local roads, which from my experience they can't handle as it is.

It is worth mentioning that @Marni1971 this is a project he wouldn't be surprised if it does get the axe. He mentioned he's surprised that construction hasn't started on it yet and that if it doesn't within the next few months that it probably isn't happening.
Supposedly a large part of the concept was getting to test the space window tech before building Star Wars hotel. They wait any longer they’ll just be building Star Wars anyway so why not skip this. Unless they really want to get extra mileage out of their tech.

I’m still waiting for the seamless China 360 show too, while we’re discussing D23 projects that haven’t started yet.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Supposedly a large part of the concept was getting to test the space window tech before building Star Wars hotel. They wait any longer they’ll just be building Star Wars anyway so why not skip this. Unless they really want to get extra mileage out of their tech.

I’m still waiting for the seamless China 360 show too, while we’re discussing D23 projects that haven’t started yet.
Martin has stated that that show should be a 2020 project. And Impressions de France will also get an update of sorts.

I could still see it being cut though.

As far as the Space Restaurant goes, it’s possible that the Patina Restaurant Group - who was going to run the Space Restaurant - pulled out of the project and they just decided to cut it entirely. @AliciaStella

Last edited: