Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

It’s a quarter by quarter business. Just keep pushing it off until the next quarter. Then the next one, and so on.
God forbid we have a bad quarter and people only get 12 million dollar bonuses instead of 20. How will they eat?
Yes. One of the issues when Executive & upper management pay is so heavily based on profit percentage bonuses. It discourages good long range decision making/investment and instead encourages short term cost oriented fixes that may be detrimental to long term needs.

Yes. One of the issues when Executive & upper management pay is so heavily based on profit percentage bonuses. It discourages good long range decision making/investment and instead encourages short term cost oriented fixes that may be detrimental to long term needs.
Unless the exec has some character then they could make things happen. Don't think the Bob's are those guys though.

It’s a quarter by quarter business. Just keep pushing it off until the next quarter. Then the next one, and so on.
God forbid we have a bad quarter and people only get 12 million dollar bonuses instead of 20. How will they eat?

Best example of this is the years and years a new parking garage was put off at DLR.

Best example of this is the years and years a new parking garage was put off at DLR.
I know it’s been since DCA opened practically that they’ve put off, but the city of Anaheim hasn’t made it easy in recent years, either. So it’s not *all* about an unwillingness.

I know it’s been since DCA opened practically that they’ve put off, but the city of Anaheim hasn’t made it easy in recent years, either. So it’s not *all* about an unwillingness.

Yeah no “both sides” here. They had 15 years, sorry they’re feet dragging is giving them some headaches *now*. Of course I could just as easily say Anaheim could be on board with Disney on everything they do and DLR would still be dragging their feet in some way.

Yeah no “both sides” here. They had 15 years, sorry they’re feet dragging is giving them some headaches *now*. Of course I could just as easily say Anaheim could be on board with Disney on everything they do and DLR would still be dragging their feet in some way.
I wasn’t trying to imply that Disney wasn’t to blame, just that when they finally did decide to actually go forward with the new gateway, Anaheim wasn’t having it.

Random anecdote: called to book Spirit of Aloha later this month because you can't get a Tables in Wonderland discount via the My Magic app. Operator gave me a 5 minute spiel of fine print, a solid minute of which boiled down to "The monorails may or may not be operating, There are other ways to get around the resort you may have to use." I just found that odd. Had already mentioned I was staying off-site, but apparently required to warn me anyway.

Sure it looks pretty... but will it run ok?
I find it fairly disturbing how much money Disney pours into the monorails whether it be for adding automation or changing the aesthetic, all to keep these old dogs going just one more day.

The automation project was not cheap and I really question why Disney chooses to spend money on the monorails the way that they do when they could just buy new ones and avoid the headache...

I find it fairly disturbing how much money Disney pours into the monorails whether it be for adding automation or changing the aesthetic, all to keep these old dogs going just one more day.

The automation project was not cheap and I really question why Disney chooses to spend money on the monorails the way that they do when they could just buy new ones and avoid the headache...
The problem is, even if they ordered a new fleet of monorails today, these would still have to run for another 5 years.

At least they didn't do what I heard the rumor was and roll this train out as "the first Mark VIII Monorail".

I've heard the rest of the fleet is getting the same treatment, with each train getting its matched color vinyl backing and interior accents. The big positive with this is the removal of the carpeting, which was the source of so much of the odor complaints on the trains. The air conditioners tend to drip/leak water into that carpeting which gets moldy and smells bad. This will dry quickly, eliminating most of the issue.