The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 848 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here is a clue if the que is outside and you have nothing to put in the lockers......go in through the gift shop and cut through the locker area....voila....done.

First visit to IOA for 5 years and my take on Wizarding World and FJ. Disappointed to be honest.

I expect to get flamed but these are my genuine thoughts and feel that this land could have been much better pulled off if Uni had the land space to do it fully. Disappointed :down:

There were many things I didn’t like at FLE such as the building site in the middle, fast past not at attraction entrance ect. I do love IOA its one of the most amazing parks in the world and I did like a lot of WW especially all the things you mentioned. In fact the best part of WW for me was seeing people who love Potter been really excited by it. I love park that immerse there guest in the experience and WW doest that I just think I went with to higher expectations and may be upset that it seems to have spoilt my other favourite areas. I am not saying that it’s not a good expansion just came away a little disappointed

You should definitely write to Universal and let them know your opinion and your feelings, that way they can have it on record and take it into consideration. I can see how you could be let down by some specific things you mentioned. I would just recommend that when doing a full review, you should include both what you like and what you didn't like in there. That way we can get your full perspective all at once, and you don't come off as biased one way or the other, only focusing on the negative for one resort and only focusing on the positive for the competing resort. I hope you can see how this would come off as biased and kinda troll-ish. Not saying that was your intention… it just comes off that way. I am glad you did enjoy a lot of other things, as explained on your later post :thumbs:

And just to be clear about the queue, you feel the outside queue is bad design because it's slow, and you feel the inside queue is bad design because it's fast..... You see the issue here, right?

I think nmu definitely has a point here, though. Being objective, the fact is that you spend a lot of time in the greenhouse, and it's the very least themed part of the whole queue. Even the dungeon is more themed with statues and little "Easter eggs" on the doors. The most HP theming in the greenhouse is the Hogwarts crest on the posts, and a cabinet on a corner with static Mandrakes (and I can't exactly recall, but I don't think there's even a sound effect to them). Not even the plants are magical looking in the majority of the greenhouse. Then there's rooms indoors, like the portrait room, which is HIGHLY themed and magical, but you zip past it, so you cannot enjoy it for long and take it in as much... (BTW, I'm speaking for the regular visitor on a regular day. Obviously if you go during a slow time you can go as fast or as slow as you want, or also if the ride breaks down, some people may spend a long time in the portrait room and hear the entire dialogue many times... but these are special circumstances.)

You should definitely write to Universal and let them know your opinion and your feelings, that way they can have it on record and take it into consideration. I can see how you could be let down by some specific things you mentioned. I would just recommend that when doing a full review, you should include both what you like and what you didn't like in there. That way we can get your full perspective all at once, and you don't come off as biased one way or the other, only focusing on the negative for one resort and only focusing on the positive for the competing resort. I hope you can see how this would come off as biased and kinda troll-ish. Not saying that was your intention… it just comes off that way. I am glad you did enjoy a lot of other things, as explained on your later post :thumbs:

I think nmu definitely has a point here, though. Being objective, the fact is that you spend a lot of time in the greenhouse, and it's the very least themed part of the whole queue. Even the dungeon is more themed with statues and little "Easter eggs" on the doors. The most HP theming in the greenhouse is the Hogwarts crest on the posts, and a cabinet on a corner with static Mandrakes (and I can't exactly recall, but I don't think there's even a sound effect to them). Not even the plants are magical looking in the majority of the greenhouse. Then there's rooms indoors, like the portrait room, which is HIGHLY themed and magical, but you zip past it, so you cannot enjoy it for long and take it in as much... (BTW, I'm speaking for the regular visitor on a regular day. Obviously if you go during a slow time you can go as fast or as slow as you want, or also if the ride breaks down, some people may spend a long time in the portrait room and hear the entire dialogue many times... but these are special circumstances.)

If you want to enjoy the inside queue with the portraits and the common room, then go through the castle tour line :thumbs:

I hope the new station and entrance will help command a new, grander appearance. But of course Id love a 3rd phase. The options just have been picked apart so many times, nothing really makes sense. I would love for an azkaban/villain centric addition, but its not plausible due to the size and its location in the middle of black sea.

it could replace dragon challenge

Hogsmead is small because Hogsmead is a small village. The size of most things is a JK/WB story thing not a UO thing. This keeps it true to the story.

The lockers as much as people don't like their placement are there for a reason. They needed to be accessible from both the entrance and the exit. They needed to not cause the people exiting to interfere with the people entering (crossing over the path) and they needed to be hidden from view when outside.

I will admit I've never really stood in the garden queue for long periods of time, but I've only ever heard the JP music before there are people in the queue.

Based on the fact that the willow was out of show I'm assuming you rode recently, as this was due to the new profile that was talked about (the willow motions were switched to fit the new profile, issue for the old profile)

The whole JP site line thing has been beaten to death. Regular tourists just plain don't care, and they bring in the bulk of the money. There aren't a stack of negative comments at guest services about it. It's a non issue.

The rebranding of the rides didn't change either ride. Very public issues (that would have happened with or without the rebrand) did.

And just to be clear about the queue, you feel the outside queue is bad design because it's slow, and you feel the inside queue is bad design because it's fast..... You see the issue here, right?

The simplest thing would be to say this is the ride we are offering, if it's not for you that's a shame.

This isn't the first test of a new profile and it won't be the last. They are trying out a few different things just to see what works and what does not.

Just to clarify point by point,

Size = I am not suggesting that Hogsmead isn’t the right scale and get it’s a village just saying I felt the whole expansion to be small and shoe horned into the space for the amount of praise it gets here.

Lockers = FJ isn’t the only attraction in Florida that gets long lines and requires lockers and they seem to pull it off a lot more effectively than FJ

Willow = I guess that must be the case which is a shame as I guess I missed FJ at its best.

Site Line = I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you and can’t see how you can talk about what other regular visitors think or don’t. The WW gets eminence praise and rightly so for a lot of things but for a good percentage of the time you can clear see something quite ugly and spoils not just WW but also JP. If this is forgivable by you in such a highly theme area then fair enough

Re-Branding = I consider a ride as an experience from the moment I commit to going on it so to say there are the same isn’t true. Dulling Dragons had at the time the best queue in Florida and really set up the ride and this in my opinion has been destroyed and therefore detracted from the ride experience (again just my opinion)

Queue speed = I refer you to Felipe post 16943 is this is exactly what I meant.

But having said all that again there are many areas of WW which I think are amazing and I guess it’s question of opinon

I believe it means they are toning down the movements of the ride vehicle to suit those who had issues with the "jerky" movements. :thumbs:

By definition: A "Profile" in theme park terms is the movements of the ride vehicles.

Spider-man has a Ride Vehicle profile.

Hulk has a track profile.

Forbidden Journey has an RV profile.

Haunted Mansion has a track profile, because the movements are done mechanically through the track.

When I went last week I think FJ is lacking movement, sucks they keep toning it down. It doesn't feel like your in danger or running from things, It was quite tamed & boring from what I remember... & I don't like the green thing when u fly & return to loading dock, I liked the tumbling rock transition.

Still love the ride tho...
& if I remember did the dragon ever shoot fire right at your face? Or was it always down towards your feet?

When I went last week I think FJ is lacking movement, sucks they keep toning it down. It doesn't feel like your in danger or running from things, It was quite tamed & boring from what I remember... & I don't like the green thing when u fly & return to loading dock, I liked the tumbling rock transition.

Still love the ride tho...
& if I remember did the dragon ever shoot fire right at your face? Or was it always down towards your feet?

From what iv'e heard we shouldn't worry too much. When they are done making the ride smoother it will almost be the same again. There will not be any MAJOR changes to this ride.

They haven't. They tried a new sequence and have switched back to the old one. They're fiddling with things to try and find what works.

But it hasn't been toned down permanently

Bingo, the entire system has been tinkered with since opening. Nearly all modifications made to the ride system are so small it would be darn near impossible to notice.

First visit to IOA for 5 years and my take on Wizarding World and FJ. Disappointed to be honest. Maybe that’s due to all the amazing things I had read and heard before travelling so my expectations were to high or the fact the films don’t really do it for me either. The whole area seemed really small and shoe horned into the space. The best part for me is entering from The Lost Continent as the theme and detailing is amazing from that view with Hogwarts towering in the back ground over Hogsmead but from then it’s down hill.

Hogwarts Express just magically appears from a hole that leads to Dragon Challenge which doesn’t look good or make sense. Again while nicely themed the whole are is just too small and the forced prospective of Hogwarts just doesn’t work when you get any where close to it.

FJ the ride = Good but no way is it the best the ride in Florida, its not even the best ride in IOA. First off what’s with the queuing system? When we were there 60 min posted wait and 40 mins of that were queuing for lockers that we didn’t need. Why am I in a queue that goes at a snail pace due to where the lockers are located? Bad design!!!! Also every where I read goes on about amazing immersive theme!!! Really? So queuing in the greenhouse for the best part of 30 minuets (waiting for lockers) I am looking at a white show build whilst hearing the sound track for Jurassic Park, hardly setting up the ride experience. Once inside Hogwarts things are much better and this part of the ride is fantastic but now the queue picks up pace so the place where there is incredible detail we miss a lot of it. Again a real shame and bad design.

The ride its self is good but the transition between screens and real life sets are very poor and the floo effect is lame. Also on all my rides the dementor face effect failed as did the whopping willow. There is a lot of stick on this forum about Disney operating signature attractions with effects missing or broken, Uni is also failing to deliver on its most important attraction.

But the biggest thing for me is how Wizarding World as effect the rest of IOA. JP is now dominated by it with a lot of sight lines having Hogwarts or worse a big white box in view. JP used to be my favourite part of IOA as it captured the feel of the film that’s now been destroyed. Lost Continent another beautiful part of the park as also been nearly obliterated by it and again was such a great area and for this we have one new ride which whilst use cutting edge technology is a patchy experience and two rebrands one of which as made a great attraction worse.

I expect to get flamed but these are my genuine thoughts and feel that this land could have been much better pulled off if Uni had the land space to do it fully. Disappointed :down:

Going to break this down. I don't know if its worth it since you have a lot of Disney bias, but I feel the need to defend the pride of Universal.

I don't know how you can argue its not the best ride in Orlando or even IoA. There is literally no ride like it, so much so that the staff has trouble describing it to new people.
- Why are you waiting in the line? Because everyone else is. This is a halfway credible complaint, the lockers were designed poorly and are having the issue worked out with them for sister WWoHPs. However, all of those people would have been in line anyway so you're not really losing any time. When you go through and don't have a bag normally you just end up cutting a lot of people during the lockers, if done right then you don't cut anyone and only one of their party goes into the lockers and the status quo is maintained. Basically you don't like waiting in line.They tried a bag/no bag line at one time; it made more people angry than happy, so that will not be happening again.
- The garden/forest queue is pretty, again you're complaining about small details that people don't notice for the most part. We can go into other rides that do the same. A majority of rides do not have a fully themed extended queue.
- There is ample time in the line to observe details and they are pretty helpful about pointing out the castle tour line if you ask about pictures. This is after all a line for a ride and not a walkthrough.
- Interesting that you choose to bring up Disney here. The difference is that the willow was out for one day; the yeti has been out for several years. No ride is going to be 100% all the time, but the important part is Universal tries.
- We need to end this discussion about sightlines. It is impossible to build a perfect park with perfect sightlines. Most people do not notice the small overlapping details. Let's all complain about being able to see all the lands from PoE or Suess from Marvel. Or god forbid we talk about another park with interesting sightlines.

I'm not sure how practical this would be from an operations viewpoint, but around the point with the sorting hat, the queue could split into 4, for each house with Hufflepuff being the mildest and Slytherin being the wildest. I wonder how easy it would be to set up a system which could change which benches were on which profiles depending on the demand at the time?

- Not at all easy. It would be a technical nightmare. There's no space to split it up. Logistically you can't sort it well. Single Riders falls apart. It just becomes 4 different rides in one building.

Just to clarify point by point,

Size = I am not suggesting that Hogsmead isn’t the right scale and get it’s a village just saying I felt the whole expansion to be small and shoe horned into the space for the amount of praise it gets here.

Lockers = FJ isn’t the only attraction in Florida that gets long lines and requires lockers and they seem to pull it off a lot more effectively than FJ

Willow = I guess that must be the case which is a shame as I guess I missed FJ at its best.

Site Line = I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you and can’t see how you can talk about what other regular visitors think or don’t. The WW gets eminence praise and rightly so for a lot of things but for a good percentage of the time you can clear see something quite ugly and spoils not just WW but also JP. If this is forgivable by you in such a highly theme area then fair enough

Re-Branding = I consider a ride as an experience from the moment I commit to going on it so to say there are the same isn’t true. Dulling Dragons had at the time the best queue in Florida and really set up the ride and this in my opinion has been destroyed and therefore detracted from the ride experience (again just my opinion)

Queue speed = I refer you to Felipe post 16943 is this is exactly what I meant.

But having said all that again there are many areas of WW which I think are amazing and I guess it’s question of opinon

Size: Verily we live in a world with tangible dimensions where objects and locations must be designed to fit with the space that exists in reality. There was not room to expand any further without sacrificing all of Lost Continent and at the time of construction, this was still an experiment. When we can start bending dimensions and build more in less, let me know. I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't consider this a valid claim.

Lockers: Addressed above. However, HPFJ is still the only attraction that has lockers and has lines that require not only extra queue to be built every day during peak (of which they still run out of queue space), but also a land management system to keep the ride from crippling the entire park and breaking fire code, so I'd say you're comparing two things with entirely different scale.

Sightline: Still irrelevant, but you are entitled to your opinion. After all, nowhere in Universal's ticket ToS does it promise you that you will be happy or love everything. Again this park is dictated by the reality of space. Spending money on a texture for a showbuilding is a lot of money with no return.

Rebranding: I'm pretty sure that the Dragons queue is only slightly different with less scary effects; I'm still more concerned about the absence of dueling.
Bingo, the entire system has been tinkered with since opening. Nearly all modifications made to the ride system are so small it would be darn near impossible to notice.

The profile is changed very, very rarely. The slightest change in profiling can cause massive glitches with the ride. This profile change was not minor. Anyone who has been on more than once would notice the change. It was an entirely different range of motion with a lack of urgency or speed. It was like when they dumbed down Poseidon's Fury except much much worse.

I was there last night and now I wish I would of taken it for a spin because I just can't see this being that big of a change.