The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 850 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Before we talk about removing two world-class B&M inverts, let's talk about moving them first.

8597404287_3a64e82885_b.jpg

Battlestar Galactica retheme to fit in with the sci-fi-ness of MIB?

I dunno man, the biggest argument I'd concede is that they're wasting space in the most valuable area of the entire resort. But that plot next to MIB is never going to be the type of area that keeps guests in one spot like WWoHP.

I have to disagree. They could put something there that would balance the crowds from WWOHP. I think Uni already realizes they need to balance the crowds, not add more to WWOHP. So moving a coaster would really not help. They need a new fresh idea. I think Simpson's expansion is to help balance people who want to eat and enjoy Duff's garden. TF will help balance the E-ticket attraction lines throughout the whole park. Kidzone will start to balance out the younger kids into Harry Potter into another area. JP will help in IOA to pull crowds to other parts of the park. Adding more to WWOHP doesn't help them, they are already attracting those guests and with Phase 2 bring them back again and again. Adding anything to WWOHP would not bring more in, but making the area less crowded would give a better guest experience and that will bring people back again. So to do this they need to spread out the demand in one island with new stuff elsewhere. Not a coaster that people will have already ridden.

It has to be the capacity, the freakin' long queue, and the intensity of the ride that contributes to the short wait times, as previously mentioned. It would be a shame to see either coaster leave, as I believe that they are iconic coasters. I just wish that they would at least duel again and get some better theming (such as denser foliage and rock work) under the tracks.

"WWoHP as of 830am is at capacity and standby que is open. Wait times: forbidden journey 120; hippogriff 45; dragons 10. @UniversalORL"

So yeah....Dragons......

To be fair, big coasters don't appeal to everyone and the queue is so freaking long that this, plus capacity, has to have an effect and reduce the wait times. I don't think getting rid of them is a good idea. We need these coasters to keep a good diversity of rides, and these are great coasters, too.

The thing is, to me it makes sense to at least move Dragons out of Potter. You need something else that's purely potter like FJ to split the crowd up. They could still have a teen-adult coaster, but they need have something smaller and make space for a Forbidden Forest, Quidditch Pitch ride, a crazy hedge maze, or the Shrieking Shack. Not that more Potter is necessary, but nothing that UO will build will have anything close to the same pull as the Potter area.

Plus with the Gringotts ride we'll be at max capacity for Dragon-themed entertainment.

If Universal removes dragons for a hedge maze I will :bang: :died:

Gringotts and HE will help offset the crowds at FJ.
Banging your head on the wall won't get you out of the hedge maze!

Of course I'm speaking of the crazy 20 ft tall hedge maze challenge that accompanied Dragon challenge in film 4. It's not the best idea, but it could be done as a Poseidons Fury type walk through, except better. Maybe since I've been to a corn maze so many times I enjoy them more than most people. Personally my top choice would be a Forbidden Forest or Shrieking Shack thing, they have the most variety and intrigue.

Most people will want to take the train TO Hogwarts, not away. I'm sure those rides will help, but they'll also increase visitors in both Potter sections.

Last edited:
The thing is, to me it makes sense to at least move Dragons out of Potter. You need something else that's purely potter like FJ to split the crowd up. They could still have a teen-adult coaster, but they need have something smaller and make space for a Forbidden Forest, Quidditch Pitch ride, a crazy hedge maze, or the Shrieking Shack. Not that more Potter is necessary, but nothing that UO will build will have anything close to the same pull as the Potter area.

Plus with the Gringotts ride we'll be at max capacity for Dragon-themed entertainment.

It doesn't make sense. That area can only handle so many people at a time. So replacing a people eater with a non-people eater or even the same amount of people eater does not increase the amount of people allowed in that section. So instead of adding something that more people will want to get into that section to ride, they need to spread out the crowds to other areas.

Also, yes, DC has a short line, but do you have any idea the number of guests that ride FJ vs. the number of guests that ride DC? I think you would be shocked to see they are not really as far apart as you think. The main issue is DC capacity is higher than anything else in that section.

HE will also help, because people can hop on that and go to Studios, so they are adding another ride that will reduce the wait time of FJ because people will do both.

I've always thought the fact that Dueling Dragons went from a headline attraction in Lost Continent to something hidden off to the side in WWOHP probably contributes to the shorter wait times.

Also, yes, DC has a short line, but do you have any idea the number of guests that ride FJ vs. the number of guests that ride DC? I think you would be shocked to see they are not really as far apart as you think.

Do you have numbers to back this claim up?

Because I'm SURE FJ has far more riders than Dragons does. FJ's capacity is still incredibly big and has a line from open until close unlike Dragons.

Dragons is a people eater that has too few people to eat.

Dragons has an insane capacity, something along the lines of 3,000-3,500pph I believe. That means for any kind of wait to form, more than about 3,500 people have to enter the ride in the course of an hour. In reality, a 10 minute wait is at most a 2 or three train wait because it takes about 5 to walk through the line to the station anyway. And even if you account for operational inefficiencies like down time and groups of two or three inefficiently using rows leaving empty seats and take capacity down by 1/3, that's still about 2,000pph. A 9 hour day (seems the park is usually only open 9-9 during the busiest of times, so 9 hours seems a good compromise) would see 18,000 riders at the reduced capacity, or more than 25% of an extremely crowded day at the park. Taking into account that the entrance is almost invisible in the Wizarding World (Seriously, what were they thinking? I almost missed it the first time the area opened completely, and I knew what to look for!), and a lot of Potter fans aren't as likely to want to ride them, that is pretty darn good. I expect their daily numbers are probably somewhat close to 15k (I recall when I was doing nightly rider counts at Cedar Point, seeing the sheet and Raptor and Magnum constantly having between about 12-14k), so that is really quite a good ridership number.

I actually had to wait back beyond the water fountains closest to the station one day. I was shocked to say the least, and the park wasn't actually very busy at all. I still think the biggest culprits are the Potter fans not being so inclined towards large coasters, and the awful entrance that is anything but recognizable or noticeable. If they didn't have the test seat, I think even I might be hard pressed to successfully point it out to someone standing in the middle there next to the Owl Post due to how well it blends in. In this case, that is a very bad thing.