Tokyo Disneyland Resort | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Tokyo Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Stitch resides in Hawaii, Mermaid is Dutch waters, Pinocchio is a German village, and Tinkerbell is British. Yes, they are fictional characters from fictional settings, but there are very strong ties to a specific location.

There is 0 connection of Groot to Earth, let alone any country.

And even if we ignore all that, what diversity do we have? Black Panther in Africa, Thor in Norway (I guess?), and everyone else from the good ol' USA?

It's also not lost on me that adding Marvel Characters kinda goes against the whole principal theme of the ride. Adding War Machine to a ride about holding hands and singing for peace and love is weird AF.

It all just screams "We got the Marvel rights now, let's just throw stuff together and see what sticks."
lol

So if Groot gets a house in Germany in the next film people are ok with it?

Like this is where I am just a younger Disney fan and don't care about these little things.

Of course its them screaming we have Marvel and if people don't like it.....it will never come back but if the people there like it then I'm down for Captain America to be at Disneyland it will not ruin me riding it at all

But these are all made up characters and these discussions remind me of what they got Marvel and people didn't want to see Captain America on Main street but....like Mickey mouse fits even though he doesn't match the time either

lol

So if Groot gets a house in Germany in the next film people are ok with it?

Like this is where I am just a younger Disney fan and don't care about these little things.

Of course its them screaming we have Marvel and if people don't like it.....it will never come back but if the people there like it then I'm down for Captain America to be at Disneyland it will not ruin me riding it at all

But these are all made up characters and these discussions remind me of what they got Marvel and people didn't want to see Captain America on Main street but....like Mickey mouse fits even though he doesn't match the time either

Don't be dense... and the strawman arguments you keep resorting to are exhausting.

are you being purposefully obtuse or do you really not understand the difference?
These are all made up characters

Many made up places

I just don't see the different there are no mermaids in real life......or Woodenboys...or fairies.

If people want to PM and argue about fact things we don't have control over cool, my opinion is simple. It's fine, doesn't bug me and think it will draw more people. If the Disney characters don't distract me on Disneyland version then these would not either

Stitch resides in Hawaii, Mermaid is Dutch waters, Pinocchio is a German village, and Tinkerbell is British. Yes, they are fictional characters from fictional settings, but there are very strong ties to a specific location.

There is 0 connection of Groot to Earth, let alone any country.

And even if we ignore all that, what diversity do we have? Black Panther in Africa, Thor in Norway (I guess?), and everyone else from the good ol' USA?

It's also not lost on me that adding Marvel Characters kinda goes against the whole principal theme of the ride. Adding War Machine to a ride about holding hands and singing for peace and love is weird AF.

It all just screams "We got the Marvel rights now, let's just throw stuff together and see what sticks."

Wait, I thought that the Guardians liked Epcot. Isn't that enough of a tie-in? I'm just joking, by the way. This is definitely a head-scratcher of a decision. IASW is a great ride all by itself and adding IP does nothing for it and may even be subtraction by addition.

Many made up places

I just don't see the different there are no mermaids in real life......or Woodenboys...or fairies.

If people want to PM and argue about fact things we don't have control over cool, my opinion is simple. It's fine, doesn't bug me and think it will draw more people. If the Disney characters don't distract me on Disneyland version then these would not either

See below:

Yes, they are fictional characters from fictional settings, but there are very strong ties to a specific location.

Reactions: Jake S and mccgavin
Next up:
Die Hard overlay for TOT (At Christmas obviously)
Avengers in Pandora - because they do other planets and stuff
Radiator Springs: super Princess dance racers

It's literally at an international park so it doesn't affect you so why does it matter.... :skull:
This is a weird opinion to have. There are people on these forums for whom the international parks are their home parks (me included).

Not every development at the non-American parks has to be viewed strictly through the lens of how and whether it affects the American parks.

Last edited:
This is a weird opinion to have. There are people on these forums for whom the international parks are their home parks (me included).

Not every development at the non-American parks has to be viewed strictly through the lens of how and whether it affects the American parks.
I wasn't talking to you though? I was talking specifically to two people who I know are in North America so idk what you're going on about lol

• Haha
Reactions: jarmor
I wasn't talking to you though? I was talking specifically to two people who I know are in North America so idk what you're going on about lol
Fwiw - I am trying to go to Japan this or next year soooo….
Shoulder Shrug Idk GIF by MOODMAN

Abhorrent abuse of everything about what "it's a small world" is supposed to mean. I generally dislike the inclusion of the animated Disney/Pixar characters in any iteration of the attraction, but I can concede they are largely well-integrated and help capture young children's attention.

This Marvel stuff, though, is beyond the pale. Sure, you can loosely connect a few to random countries, but the Marvel superheroes are generally enforcers of the status quo - the American hegemony. If you think they look cute, sure, fine, whatever, I guess it'll sell toys. But this is far from what the theme park medium - and specifically Disney - is capable of, and it blows to see such a beloved ride get bastardized to move a few stuffies. You can and should expect better.

Many made up places

Come on… you can’t be serious? There’s a difference between characters that have been de facto cultural icons in their native countries for decades, and even centuries in some cases, being included in IASW at Disneyland (albeit in their Disney film variations) vs an alien tree from an 80s comic book just popping up randomly in the attraction cuz he’s cute. The only one I can see there being a parallel for is Lilo and Stitch, but even a lot of native Hawaiians I’ve spoken to appreciated how that film treated their culture, and its ability to educate the general public on their heritage. A lot of countries have statues of these characters in public parks and plazas because of what they have done for them. They are relevant. Groot really isn’t… not in this context.

Edit: I guess Woody in the America section is a little out there… and I wasn’t a huge fan of that when it came out. But Alice, Peter Pan, Mulan, Aladdin and more representing their countries is a lot more appropriate than groot.

This may just be my optimism getting the best of me, but I feel like this is a test to see if Marvel moves the needle in TDLR. OLC has been very reticent to add Marvel to the Resort and this could simply be a test so that they can survey guests and gain information from moved merch.

I'm really not all that worried at all about IASW permanently having this. I think the more likely thing is that this small thing could theoretically end up with a full scale Marvel ride or land being built if the response from guests is that they want more Marvel in the parks (and merch is up).